It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs Pose Danger to Aviation - U.S. News and World Report

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

"The FAA's mission does not involve the investigation of UFOs," says agency spokesman Tony Molinaro, adding, "Our employees didn't see anything unusual and nothing caused any operational problems that day."

An interesting comment from a Federal Aviation Administration spokesperson regarding the reported sighting by several United Airlines employees of a metallic oval-shaped object hovering low over Chicago's O'Hare International Airport in 2006.

The quote above comes from a surprisingly tongue-out-of-cheek article on the U.S. News and World Report website.

I often lament the uninformed and unprofessional manner in which the UFO topic is treated in mainstream publications. This one is an exception to that rule.

Enjoy.
edit on 23-10-2012 by Orkojoker because: fixed link

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Unusual.
By the way, your link is to page 3 of the article. Here's the link to page 1:

UFO Sightings Pose Danger to Aviation

And I noticed mention of the DIA regarding the Tehran incident.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Nice find! Mighty interesting article for such a mainstream source. I'm always confused why we seek explanations from government agencies which have demonstrated repeatedly that their position is to debunk with extreme prejudice even the most spectaclular sightings by the most credible multiple witnesses.

The US Gov knows darn well that some of the best sightings just cannot be explained away with balloons and weather. Their own Blue Book left 700 exceptional cases on the table as they concluded "nothing to see here". I'm glad at least some countries take the issue seriously. Ours obviously has something to hide.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Yeah Its true . Day by Day , UFO activity is increasing . There are many instances where UFO and aircraft has evaded near collision .

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Had that kinda thing happen on approach to SFO.

FO (pilot flying) said look at those lights.
It obviously threw his situational awarness out of the window.

Told him that whatever it is we're gonna deal with it on the ground.
Seconds later i said "my controls" and landed the jet.

Guess what, it wasn't an ufo, swampgas, black helicopters manned with men in black, it was chinese lanterns.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Thanks for the reply, brother. The U.S. government definitely has been and continues to be shady on this issue for whatever reason, a fact that is nicely illustrated in Karl 12's threads here and here (this latter one to appear for discussion on ATS Live this Saturday).

I find it interesting that the FAA is apparently not at all concerned with large unknown objects hovering, floating or flying in the vicinity of major U.S. airports.

Here's the full 155-page report on the O'Hare International Airport incident from the NARCAP Technical Reports page.

From the summary:

edit on 23-10-2012 by Orkojoker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by xpoq47

Thanks for your help there xpoq. Original link is fixed now.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker

"The FAA's mission does not involve the investigation of UFOs," says agency spokesman Tony Molinaro

No, their Senior officials just get ordered by the CIA and FBI to 'forget' UFO incidents and never inform the general public.

UFO: A Cover Up No: 3 (Mr. John Callahan)

John Callahan, retired Division Manager, Accidents Evaluation and Investigation, Federal Aviation Administration in Washington, D.C.,was told by the CIA that the UFO case he was evaluating never happened and the general public was never to be informed of the incident.

The strange story of JAL 1628

Great thread and a very important subject Orko!

If aviation safety isn't a factor in simultaneous radar/visual cases like this one and this one then I'll eat my hat.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I think we all know that some number of UFO sightings have been our own secret high-end aircraft under testing yet as far as I know there has never been an official explanation of any UFO sighting, when the government was in the business of explaining them, that said any given UFO sighting was one of our top secret aircraft.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I would rather entertain the idea if it is entitled "UFOs Pose Danger to US MILITARY CONTROL OVER THE PEOPLE"

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Drones are UFOs by design. They don't want to be identified. So yeah, there is more stuff up there to run into.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think that I would rather it be UFO's that are Extraterrestrial than to find out that they are all really military drones. That is a scary thought.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks for that very fitting addition to the thread Karl. That whole case is fascinating as hell, and John Callahan's bit is the icing on the cake. I'd like to see the U.S. Congress (or at least some subcommittee thereof) take him up on his offer.

While linking to NARCAP for a previous post, I came across this super interesting report of two pilots witnessing an unusual "something" just after takeoff from Los Angeles International Airport:

“Five to seven hundred feet may sound like some distance to most people but traveling forward at 290 MPH and expecting that the other ‘aircraft’ is doing the same that becomes an incredibly short distance in which to avoid what we expected to be a very possible collision. I am sure that at this point we both were thinking how can we avoid this collision and is there enough space left in which to do so! Within the first 2 – 3 seconds it became shockingly clear that we were not closing on this traffic and that it was pacing us and staying in the exact same position in the wind screen.”

Jumbo Jet Encounters UAP Soon After Take-off from LAX on September 27, 1996

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

What baffles me is why cases like JAL 1628 don't get more attention.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

Federal Aviation Administration is ruled by Bigelow Aerospace and so the MUFON.

The Bigelow Aerospace Group has been taken in charge from the FAA to receive UFOs reports from the civil pilots and the air traffic controllers. Why?
www.faa.gov...

A private Company manage this critical matter for the Air Traffic in USA....

Subject: Air Traffic Control
Includes: Change 1 effective 7/26/12

Section 8. Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) Reports
9-8-1. GENERAL

a. Persons wanting to report UFO/unexplained phenomena activity should contact a UFO/ unexplained phenomena reporting data collection center, such as Bigelow Aerospace Advanced Space Studies (BAASS) (voice: 1-877-979-7444 or e-mail: [email protected]), the National UFO Reporting Center, etc.

S&F.

An interesting thread: Bigelow Aerospace: an Alien Connection!

edit on 24-10-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Abstract:

Spherical unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP), of both plasma and solid-like kinds, have often been observed in the world. Several monitoring campaigns have permitted us to know better some structural properties and temporal behaviour of such phenomena. On the basis of what has been observed so far, and considering the deduced constants that characterize the phenomenon, and of the consequent physical working-hypotheses that results, possible dangers to aviation are examined from several point of view of physical science; both natural and nonnatural features of these kind of UAP are considered. A systematic instrumented observational plan is proposed, involving both recurrence areas and time flaps of the phenomenon itself.

www.narcap.org...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

The Bigelow Aerospace Group has been taken in charge from the FAA to receive UFOs reports from the civil pilots and the air traffic controllers. Why?
www.faa.gov...

That's a great question, Arken. I'd like to know what Bigelow does with the reports it receives. Any idea? Also, thanks for linking to that FAA document:

I wonder if the policy to outsource reports to a private company applies to sightings by FAA personnel.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
An 18min hovering craft that ppl CANT identify...
Yet no Pictures...

HOAX

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
An 18min hovering craft that ppl CANT identify...
Yet no Pictures...

HOAX

Whatever the situation might have been, a dozen employees of a major airline - from mechanics to pilots to managers - attempting to hoax their employer and the Federal Aviation Administration while on the job seems like an unlikely explanation. Maybe you haven't thought the matter through as thoroughly as you might have.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker

Originally posted by Arken

www.faa.gov...

That's a great question, Arken. I'd like to know what Bigelow does with the reports it receives. Any idea? Also, thanks for linking to that FAA document:

I wonder if the policy to outsource reports to a private company applies to sightings by FAA personnel.

Thanks.

Yes. All personnel is under this law. And Freedom Of Information Act... simply don't work with Private Companies.

So... WE CAN'T ask with FOIA... absolutely nothing to BAAS a Private Comany. No more.

Locked!

What a wonderful world...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join