It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the word looks wrong.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Hi.

This is one of those things I’m curious about but I’m just not comfortable talking about with my friends or family. I don’t really have a reason why I feel this way it’s just how I feel.

Sometimes when I type a word it just looks wrong. I’m talking about common words people use every day. Most recently it happened with the word ‘their’ for some reason it just looks misspelled. I know it’s not and a few weeks ago it would have looked correct. Now when I use it I just want to double check it with a spell check program. I know it’s irrational but I can’t control how I feel.

About a year ago I had the same problem with the word ‘said’. I’ve kind of gotten past that one but I think I taught myself to just accept that it’s correct.

I wonder why it happens. Did a brain cell die? Did a whole bunch of brain cells die?
So I ask is this something that happens to everybody or is it just one more thing that makes me “special”?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Hi,

I've had that on so many occasions it's not funny, but I think it's more to do with suddenly 'noticing' something. We often take many things for granted, and sometimes if you were asked to described a lost item, you could only give a vague description, if it's something we take for granted.

Words are like that. Sometimes I have to google a word and find it's throwing me for a 6 because it tells me no such word exists.. and I am left completely conflapulated.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
exercise

That's the word that always has me checking spelling for some reason.

I have a large vocabulary and can express myself very well but...

Peace

edit on 23-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I have had this happen plenty of time. I remember it happening once with my name. It was a complete and utter WTF moment. I knew it was spelled right, I have been spelling it all my life, but it didn't look right. I would love to know why this happens. It happens (with other words not my name, that was a one time only deal) maybe on average once every two years. Less as I have gotten older.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Hi Erveynoe..............

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh ? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !
Tahts so cool !

Now, mroe iprmoatnlty, wehre are all the UFO's!!!!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
weird

throws the whole i before e thing out the window
brain has trouble with that one

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
Hi.

This is one of those things I’m curious about but I’m just not comfortable talking about with my friends or family. I don’t really have a reason why I feel this way it’s just how I feel.

Sometimes when I type a word it just looks wrong. I’m talking about common words people use every day. Most recently it happened with the word ‘their’ for some reason it just looks misspelled. I know it’s not and a few weeks ago it would have looked correct. Now when I use it I just want to double check it with a spell check program. I know it’s irrational but I can’t control how I feel.

About a year ago I had the same problem with the word ‘said’. I’ve kind of gotten past that one but I think I taught myself to just accept that it’s correct.

I wonder why it happens. Did a brain cell die? Did a whole bunch of brain cells die?
So I ask is this something that happens to everybody or is it just one more thing that makes me “special”?

Have you ever been tested for dyslexia? From what I have heard, that can cause people to misread things, switch letters around and such. That could cause you to think you read a word that was misspelled, and then see it as correct. It's a pretty common issue (my sister has it), and can be worked around. She was, for example, a really TOP student. Worth checking into, in any case.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I notice this on days wherein my coffee intake is less than 2 cups and I run into people. It's as though I'm not functioning on all cylinders. It doesn't just happen with spelling but also in remembering entire words. It's all right there on the end of my tongue, but I can't access it properly.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

It happens to the best of us, sometimes with the simplest of words like there, their and they're. I guess we lack concentration for a couple of seconds when it happens.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

My theory is its more to do with having learned to write these everyday words as a child with pencil and paper. Then you get older and see the word as something that is typed, different font to your handwriting, different character spacing and something in your subconscious head says "That's not how I remember it"

Is there anyone here that experiences this and didn't learn to write by hand?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

Hi Erveynoe..............

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh ? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !
Tahts so cool !

Now, mroe iprmoatnlty, wehre are all the UFO's!!!!

Good point very interesting.
You're right though it's time to find those ufos!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

No I havent been teasted. I thought it might be an obessive compulsive thing. Thanks for the thought.

top topics

join