Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Modern Family: Too Preachy

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm not even gonna go in to the platitude that modern family could just be called "two gays guys and a little asian girl. Just as a show, it is just so freaking preachy, constantly indulging in cliches and reflections and far too often gives me a "this is corny" feeling.

So why does this show do so well? I would say it's because Hollywood wants to push a political agenda, and so regardless of the fact that The Big Bang Theory is actually the best comedy on TV, and most people would agree with that, they lavish praises on a mediocre and cheesy comedy because they want 'to force' the view on people that this is a show worth watching.

It's very unnatural. Even the title "modern family" has an obnoxious ring to it. We just can't be different people. No, we have to have shown for us what a 'modern family' actually is. Almost like a 'guide' through which the thoughtless masses will know how to live. This manipulation is disrespectful and insulting to the intelligence, in my opinion.

Anyone else feel similarly?
edit on 22-10-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I don't think you.."get" it.

That show is hilarious.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zehll

I do get it. That's the problem. I get it so much, it is so obvious what there is "to get".

I so much get it, that it's predictable. Every episode has a new "lesson" to teach us about what it means to be a modern family. This week, it was late night issues. Just the every day "rigors" which everyone has to deal with.

Here are the words which I associate with modern family: cheesy, corny, predictable, stereotypical.

I don't watch it. My sister likes it, and so I watch with her. But I find the majority of the show feels forced, as in every scene, I feel as I can see the angle being pursued by the director/producers, and I find that annoying, and preachy, and manipulative.

Most knowledgeable people would not be able to tolerate modern family. It's not meant for the intelligent crowd.

Now, Big Bang Theory is just so deliciously original, and quirky, and just funny all around, it's hard not to get drawn into the queerness of Sheldon, the insecurity and charm of raj, the sarcasm of Leonard, the social awkwardness of Howard; even Mayim Bialiks character seems very natural in it's comedic ability.

It's just a very well put together show. I get that there is a genre difference between Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory. It's just I like the freeness of Big Bang Theory. It's more involved in a direct storyline than interested in conveying through story some soco-political agenda, which is what you get with each modern family episode.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I think Modern Family just pushes all of your personal opinion 'buttons'. If Sheldon and his roommate were gay, would you still like that show as much as you do now?

It's okay to not like Modern Family because of how they portray a homosexual family dynamic, but if that's the case, then say that. Modern Family's 'moral lesson' last week was to be honest with each other in your relationships. It was demonstrated by all three families (jay & gloria - sleeping, mitch & cam - stress/anxiety, phil & luke - magic). How is that an agenda against anybody??? You're seeing things that are not there.

If you don't like the show, you don't like it. It doesn't mean the show is bad. It means you don't like a good show. I don't like plenty of good shows. CSI and Law & Order have like 8 spinoffs and have existed forever, and i've never watched an entire episode of either. I can't stand them, but I know they're done well and people really enjoy them. I don't have to be right for everybody; just myself.
edit on 23-10-2012 by tagasbob11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I'll agree that Hollywood is currently held by liberals primarily as of this moment. I don't believe this is a liberal conspiracy or agenda exactly, though I do believe liberal content is certainly there.

Early American cinema was dominated and quite hostile to liberal beliefs and values in the middle of last century. It was only in the early 1950's in a land mark case that film was defended as a form of free speech. Prior to that cinema and TV was pretty much enforcing norms and propaganda driven by the House of Un-American Activities Committee

I think the sudden rise of liberal film was a bit like comics ... Movies like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre weren't 'liberal' but certainly didn't have a positive message and it wouldn't be a film made by conservatives traditionally. The opposition the right gave to those films though simply fueled that fire creating what we have today. Not unlike 40s and 50s film makers, people make what they want, and when they can't do that they make what sells. Super heroes are the new bible epic as example.

*Deep breath* Sorry for the rambling, just film history is interesting to me.

Modern Family currently has a 8.7 metacritic score which is pretty high! I do think the poster above hit a point. Modern Family is no more agenda setting than Heston's The Ten Commandments. That said, I understand why it turns you off since it conflicts with your values. Interesting that you like The Big Bang Theory!; it's made by the creator of Two and a Half Men Chuck Lorre.

Hollywood moves in trends, and currently it's everything the 1940s had a problem with. I suspect there will be a bit of a resurgence in conservative film eventually. You should look up the Friends of Abe, as I imagine you will find their concerns quite interesting. They're not quite as underground as 1940's - 50's liberals but it's similar. They do produce some conservative content from time to time together.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Oops! I was right.

Moses and Noah movies on the way. Though the Noah one is Darren Aronofsky, so am not sure that's actually going to be conservative at all. Moses is Spielberg though.

Source
edit on 24-10-2012 by Pinke because: Source

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It really is just a matter of you liking Big Bang Theory and not Modern Family. You even go so far as to say that most knowledgeable people wouldn't be able to watch Modern Family. On the other hand, you imply BBT is meant for an intelligent crowd.

I've never seen BBT, but I guarantee you it is not as smart or original as you think it is. I can tell you this because I know that it is the most popular show on TV. BBT crushes in ratings, even in syndication, and it's a merchandising powerhouse. You know what the masses usually don't devour? Intelligent or unique television.

I frequent a site that deals in a lot of television discussion and while reading about shows I do watch, I've seen a lot of criticism about Big Bang Theory. Here's some of them: it has an overbearing laugh track, it relies on references more than content, the jokes are lazy and hacky, just glosses over with a geeky sheen, the characters are more like stereotypical black-face representations of geeks, nerds, etc to be more appealing to a mass audience, it's made by Chuck Lorre who makes nothing but traditional, easily digestible sitcoms like Dharma & Greg and Two and a Half Men, and that it's not as smart as it pretends to be.

I've never seen Modern Family either, but I know that it's a wildly popular show as well. I've also seen a lot of criticism against that. None of it has been about it trying to push a socio-political agenda, aside from just having gay characters acting like normal people. And sitcoms with lessons are nothing new. Leave it to Beaver, Scrubs and South Park are three radically different shows that have often ended with lessons being learned by all.

You know what, I went ahead and watched a few episodes of Big Bang Theory. I really don't like it. The plots are as dusty as they come, I started calling jokes and I noticed that episodes don't ever end, they just stop. Give me a million shows where everything ties together in a lesson over one show where the writers are too lazy to resolve things. It's definitely not a smart show, just because it mentions science subjects. That's all they are is mentions. The jokes don't rely on understanding what's being said. The show seems to have nothing but contempt for most of its characters.

It's fine that you like it, but I wouldn't go around making threads about how other shows suck when compared to it.

new topics

top topics

join