It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My LCD TV is having problems. Seeking solutions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I just started having problems with my AOC envision series 32 inch LCD TV manufactured February 2008. I fell asleep with it on while my computer was running (had it plugged into my TV) and all the sudden when I woke up It was turning on and off on its own. It seems to be somewhat working better now after a while but the power indicator light continuously flashes orange as if it were on hibernate when its on and If I try to turn it off, it shows a green light while the screen is off and the green light goes back to a flashing orange and the screen turns on. I use my TV for all of my home entertainment equipment so this kinda sucks. There was a slight thunderstorm the night before I fell asleep so could the storm possibly caused a surge in the TVs capacitors? Or could It be a power board problem? Any TV repair experts please provide any advice or tips on how to fix it on a budget. I really don't want to half to spend half my pay check on a new TV! My TV is almost five years old now. Maybe it's reaching the end of its life span because I know LCDs don't last as long as old school tube TVs.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Have you tried unplugging it and letting it sit without a power source for 5 minutes and then plugging it in and resetting it to factory settings? I had a monitor do this to me and that was the only thing that got it back to normal. Not sure if it will work in your situation, but it's worth a shot if you haven't tried.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hey,buddy,now a days,things aren't meant to last very long.

Gone are the days of the TV repairman.

Did you check out all your connections?
Sometimes reseating them,meaning unplugging and plugging back in resolves many problems.
And sometimes not.

Maybe time for a new one.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
My father had a TV with similar problems. He got mad at it and bought another one.
He let me have the broken one and I opened it up and found two swollen capacitors.
A trip to Radio Shack, about five bucks, another trip to Wal-Mart (for solder)
about an hour and a half of actual dis-assembly, fixing the problem, and re-assembly
and I had a working big screen.

My advice. search google using the terms (your TV) and dis-assembly, or (your tv) replace
capacitors, and someone will have had this very same problem and will probably have posted
either info, or maybe even a video on how to fix it yourself...you'll be surprised I think. It is
not hard to fix, if it is your capacitors, and I think that is your problem.....I don't think having
your computer plugged in had anything to do with it.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
My smart tv was playing up the other day. I lost DTV and the vga input for my HTPC.

The factory reset fixed the vga issue and a software update(flash) fixed the DTV.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I would Google it. AOC envision series 32 inch LCD TV issue with power indicator may be a good search term. Not being snarky, I bet other people have had the same problem.

That or buy a new TV. Flat screens are so cheap now it's crazy. Probably $200 you could get bigger and better. I'm all for making things last but I also like an excuse for a new toy.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
A twelve gauge shotgun will fix it permanently, it will never mess up again.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Have you tried unplugging it and letting it sit without a power source for 5 minutes and then plugging it in and resetting it to factory settings?
reply to post by SpaDe_

I have tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in. I even gave it a few hours before plugging it back in. It still has problems but not as major as they first were. It rarely shuts off unexpectedly. I'm thinking about checking the capacitors based on what other posters have told me. If that's the case I'll just drive it over to radio shack and ask if they could to swap them out.

So far It has stayed on for at least four hours without an unexpected shut down. Do you know how to perform a factory reset without a remote on the model in question? Using the menu without a remote is a huge headache but I guess I gotta do it that way. I lost the remote two years back and never found it. Again this really sucks because before it seemed like a very reliable flat screen model. It took a hit from a friends air soft pistol to the screen and survived with no more than a barely noticeable damaged pixel!

edit on 22-10-2012 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
If the screen is lining then forget repair it. Repair will not be economical.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Tvs and computers are meant to last only few years. Tech is moving way fast...and as it is...old sets, computers etc have a hard time catching up or operating while the stations, satellites and Internet are constantly upgrading.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Tvs and computers are meant to last only few years. Tech is moving way fast...and as it is...old sets, computers etc have a hard time catching up or operating while the stations, satellites and Internet are constantly upgrading.
That seems to be true. as technology progresses every five to ten years, they tend to make things run faster and have more fancy features but as advancements in technology progress quality seems to degrade. For example; my computer is a 2005 coustom build and I have entirely rebuilt it twice sense then.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Youre right. And I certainly didnt mean to imply theres no value in older equipment. There is. My wifes got a room full of towers, radios, players, printers, walkmans, Ipads, cell phones...waiting for the time she can get them all to work more than they do now! (Yep. Thats m' girl!)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Sounds like she has her work cut out for her. Anyway I decided to go ahead and save up for a new 32 inch TV. I found a Panasonic 32 for about $300 at best buy. Not a bad price for an on brand HDTV.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Listen friend? My wife HAS LOST HER MIND COMEPLETELY!

Im all for salvaging and used to go around to pawn shop looking for old and cool analog and non digital stuff myself...but in her case...if someone is throwing something electrical appliance or computer wise, phones, stereo ...or puts it in the front of the house for pickup? It ends up at my house.

Missing pieces, out of date, damaged software, virus infected, no cords....she has em...and wont get rid of anything OR get them fixed.

Ive built a samll addition on my dog's doghouse out back....for me to move into....well, I am in it a lot anyways....

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I decided to sell my broken TV and I bought one of them new 32 inch LED TV's. It's still the same size but its built by Sharp which is basically the same as Panasonic. I'm thinking about getting best buys 5 year protection plan so I wont half to worry about spending money on TV stuff for a long time. The picture is amazing for the size and pixel level (720p) both on my Xbox and computer.

top topics

join