NYPD informant who tracked militants quits, denounces police

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

NYPD informant who tracked militants quits, denounces police

www.reuters.com

An informant recruited by the New York Police Department to collect information on suspected Islamic militants has quit and denounced his police handlers, according to a law enforcement source familiar with the case.

The informant, a 19-year-old Bangladeshi native, was recruited by the NYPD recently as part of an expansive intelligence-gathering program the department launched after the al Qaeda attacks of September 11, 2001. His assignment was to make contact with suspected Islamic extremists
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I wonder if the patsy who was recently set up in NYC had anything to do with this young man's decision to quit his job as an informant, perhaps his conscience got the better of him? The article does mention that this particular informant had nothing to do with the recent case I mentioned.

The article also quotes:

"I was jus (sic) of pretending to be friends with ya cuz I honestly thought i was fighting terrorism, but let's be real, it's all a [snip] scheme," the informant wrote, according to the source. "It was all about the money," he added.

I tend to agree, it would be a crumby job. He wanted to help make a difference and found out it's all a farce.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are extremists out there plotting to do harm but many of the plots we hear about being "thwarted" are actually nothing more than sneaky set ups where various organizations entrap these impressionable people and in my opinion they are border line framing these individuals.

All these "plots" do is justify a bigger budget for the next fiscal year while giving the authorities more reason to take away our freedoms, for our safety of course

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Here is a thread that discusses the plot that was recently foiled:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't agree with the OP's opinions but that is the thread that discusses it.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

A 19 year old kid? Yeah, technically he is an adult but probably not in the 'big picture' department. Especially with stuff like this. How long do you believe this 19 year old kid is going to live?

I support law enforcement and do realize there are bad guys out there but to justify everything in the name of fighting terrorism needs a reality check. Who is going to grab the leash on this stuff?

I just read an article (here) about a woman who confronted a child who had been bullying her child. She was charged by the police with (among other things) "terroristic threats"

What is a terroristic threat to a 9 year old? Was the Mom going to place an IED in her lunch box? And what about the word terror-ISTIC? Perhaps "like a terrorist would do"? "In the nature of terror"? Why throw it out there?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said that candidates to join the force as sworn officers must be U.S. citizens. But he said 20 percent of the department's recruit classes were foreign-born.

What the heck is this comment even in the article for? Is it an attempt to confuse the situation?(a poor one if it is) This comment has nothing to do with this situation in any way shape or form. Its random information. The article is about a CI (Confidential Informant). Now had they said that their CI are U.S. Citizens it would make sense but they don't and CIs are not required to be.

On topic, Like the above posters have stated I do understand the need to find out information in regards to an attack or a threat but it does seem that when long periods of time go by with little or no intelligence a situation is "Provided" in the attempt to justify the steady flow if monetary funds to the program.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

I do think that the word "terrorist" gets thrown around a lot, but it all depends on one's perception of terror I guess. But I agree with you where it's weird for that woman to get labelled a terrorist.

My concern is how they entrap these people and lead them into the plot.

May I ask why you ask how long this person will live, do you believe his life is in danger?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Yeah, they have to keep the budget money flowing. In most agencies they need to justify their budgets and increased spending habits and these foiled plots are the perfect way to do it.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Just a concern. If the identity and role this kid played gets exposed to the wrong people, they may wish to tie up loose ends.

Just because the 'plot' which was exposed seems pretty fabricated, there may have been ties to people who were more of the 'real deal'.

What's one more dead young man in the big city? It serves the authorities as well as the bad guys.
edit on 22-10-2012 by ABNARTY because: addition

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

You raise a good point that I failed to think of.

Perhaps this person was in over their head and might know more than certain parties feel comfortable with whether it's on the law enforcement side or the actual extremists he was supposed to be finding.

Hopefully this decision does not cost him his life, as you said it's quite common for accidents or murders to happen in the big city.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Of course it's all about the money, and keeping the people in fear.

For example, the latest set up had the guy trying to detonate a 1000 pound bomb. Now, he didn't have anything to do with the bomb and he probably couldn't make a half ounce bomb work. So the agency that put together the plot controls the details and makes them scarier. They made it a 1000 pound bomb, but they didn't have to. HOWEVER because they did they can then talk about what kind of damage such a bomb could do, even though it would have never existed or been so big and there was never any danger of it. If it was a bomb the size of a pepsi can they couldn't write descriptions of what it would do in the news.

Also, they have to keep up these kinds of things because if they don't spend the money then it will be adjusted for the next year and there will be a budget cut. Just like cities doing unnecessary road work to spend money so they can maintain the higher budget.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Of course how many 'suspected militants' were groomed for the role by the police or their paid informants?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Once you start having "Secret Police" you know things like democracy are no more. This is starting to remind me of the gestapo.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here is another article that contains information which my OP source did not:

Informant: NYPD paid me to "bait" Muslims

A paid informant for the New York Police Department's intelligence unit was under orders to "bait" Muslims into saying incriminating things as he lived a double life, snapping pictures inside mosques and collecting the names of innocent people attending study groups on Islam, he told The Associated Press.

Shamiur Rahman, a 19-year-old American of Bengali descent who has now denounced his work as an informant, said police told him to embrace a strategy called "create and capture." He said it involved creating a conversation about jihad or terrorism, then capturing the response to send to the NYPD. For his work, he earned as much as $1,000 a month and goodwill from the police after a string of minor marijuana arrests.

"We need you to pretend to be one of them," Rahman recalled the police telling him. "It's street theater."

I wonder how many other people they have blackmailed into this program due to minro drug offenses and other harmless crimes?

top topics

join