It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How BIG is ATS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hey up,

Just a quick one.

I've been on ATS for a couple of years now and have usually been more keen on just reading quality discussion before entering into any debate. However I'm always left in awe when ever I read a new thread day in day out to see new members I've never come across before with 1,000's of posts....I'm generally thinking "Where have you been hiding!?"

Anybody else thought like this, or do some of you guys tend to stick to the same threads as members you recognise?

There's a good chance many of you have never come across me before. I just can't believe how big ATS really is.

I'm not really famous for much on here, besides having a mention for this thread I created earlier on in the year which featured on the site's re-cap show.

edit on 22-10-2012 by Just Chris because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

Well, if real life is any indicator. Ask the owners and then subtract three inches.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

To be honest I think many have stages of coming on and getting frustrated with it and then leaving it for a few weeks/months. I know I feel like the topics are lacking at times but I suppose it just depends on whats happening in the world at the time, Like for instance when there is a big earthquake or volcanic eruption etc... Shame its all about Obama and Romney at the moment but I suppose even that topic brings a few laughs every so often.

edit- that sounds like i have no interest in earthquakes etc... Maybe I should have read what i wrote before posting lol
edit on 22-10-2012 by lewman because: see above

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman

To be honest I think many have stages of coming on and getting frustrated with it and then leaving it for a few weeks/months. I know I feel like the topics are lacking at times but I suppose it just depends on whats happening in the world at the time, Like for instance when there is a big earthquake or volcanic eruption etc... Shame its all about Obama and Romney at the moment but I suppose even that topic brings a few laughs every so often.

You're right regarding the quality of topics.

So many times I come on ATS and it's all about Obama and Romney. Well guess what ATS, I'm from the UK, and believe it or not I could really care less. I can't even recall these election stories making BBC, ITN or Sky News with any real vigour.

It would be good if ATS allowed us to filter out topics originating from certain countries or by keywords.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris

It would be good if ATS allowed us to filter out topics originating from certain countries or by keywords.

It is coming. I suppose. There is indication of future improvements in the search page. Right side bottom paragraph.

Until then. I suppose you can use the - keywords in the query box. Example would be;

election -obama -romney -paul -usa -america -us -republican -democrat

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If every member was a 1000 dollar bill (USD) and you stacked one bill on top of the next-

(271,456 X .0043" divided by 1000 = a stack 1.167 feet high)

That's more than 12 inches folks.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I like reading about political topics from countries other than my own. I think it's good to learn a little about the different political processes all over the world. Sometimes it helps to understand people if you have a little knowledge of how their governments tick.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I like reading about political topics from countries other than my own. I think it's good to learn a little about the different political processes all over the world. Sometimes it helps to understand people if you have a little knowledge of how their governments tick.

Each to their own I suppose.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman

You're right regarding the quality of topics.

So many times I come on ATS and it's all about Obama and Romney. Well guess what ATS, I'm from the UK, and believe it or not I could really care less. I can't even recall these election stories making BBC, ITN or Sky News with any real vigour.

I feel like this sometimes. I think it's holding the title of largest message board on the Internet or something like that.

I agree the politics are of no interest if you're not American. I don't navigate from the home page because its mostly American threads. I go through new topics and that's a better way of seeing what there is to choose from.

I like the fragile earth forum best.

link   

Well guess what? You don't have to read any political thread you don't want to, You don't have to go to the ATS Main Page. You don't have to click on Recent Posts or New Topics. Instead you can create your own little "filtered" ATS all by yourself with "MyATS" and never see a political post again. ATS is customizable.

So go customize it.

link   
Happens to me all the time. It weirds me out. I'm even more surprised when I run across a mod I've never seen. Has happened a few times in the last week. I do think people tend to stick to certain topics. I rarely venture over to BTS and always see a ton of new faces here when I do. Same with chemtrail threads and philosophy.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Happens to me all the time. It weirds me out. I'm even more surprised when I run across a mod I've never seen. Has happened a few times in the last week. I do think people tend to stick to certain topics. I rarely venture over to BTS and always see a ton of new faces here when I do. Same with chemtrail threads and philosophy.

Lol. For instance I recognise you (I think...) by your avatar. I've certainly come across it before!

Bizarre ehh!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Well guess what? You don't have to read any political thread you don't want to, You don't have to go to the ATS Main Page. You don't have to click on Recent Posts or New Topics. Instead you can create your own little "filtered" ATS all by yourself with "MyATS" and never see a political post again. ATS is customizable.

So go customize it.

Ohh don't get me wrong, I'm not forced into clicking on any political thread I don't wish to read, but when I first come on ATS, I tend to head on over to "New Topics" so I suppose what I'm saying is certain topics are taking up space on the website when 'said' space could be used to promote an equally cool and/or important thread in it's place.

But then I guess that's what MyATS is for so I shall start using it more often from here on out.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by momoney

Just quick head math I put it at about 100 feet....still that's more than twelve inches

eta...

I was close...it was 97 feet, of members.

Or to put it another way (from one perspective,) ATS's members is 97 feet long....or high....and
it is worth about 270 million...minus three inches
edit on 22-10-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

There are 271,459 (currently) ATS members. That's over a quarter million. That's also not saying they are all active members, and in only very rare cases does ATS EVER delete a username.

There are currently 512 people logged into ATS right at this moment. Those are active members. That includes 13 Mods and 1 Site Owner (SkepticOverlord).

There have been 5,724 new posts in the past 24 hours. All that information is verifiable by going to the FORUMS page and scrolling down to the bottom.

Yes, ATS is big. I have 22 forums in MyATS. (I am interested in a lot of topics!) I'd like to add more, but have added in a couple of political forums for the election cycle, and have enough to keep track of as it is. After the POTUS election, I'll change it around again.

ATS is was you make of it. It's run on user generated content. It's up to all of us to make ATS interesting, and add quality content.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

It's no wonder we spot new users all the time than!
That's roughly the same population as my home city of Hull, UK and almost everybody i see I've never seen before!

new topics

top topics

join