It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best gun for home protection?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I know this topic has been posted on ATS previously but mine is more specific.

I am looking for the best gun(s) for my home protection. While I am leaning more towards having a pistol, I understand the benefits (and dangers) of having a shotgun. I would also like my wife and teenaged daughter to handle whatever gun I choose. Maybe a combination of pistol (glock?) and shotgun is the best combo?

BTW, I live in the Maryland area where gun control laws are among the strictest in the nation.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Glock 19 and Remington 870.

Inexpensive, and effective.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Training is key. Take some courses that include plenty of range time. The whole family should do this.

That said, if you could only pick one, I would pick a good 12 gauge shot gun, either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Plenty of shotgun shell choices. 00 buck has been the standard "security" load, but can over-penetrate in some residential settings. If that's a concern, choose a lighter load, perhaps even bird shot. They are even selling some segmented slugs now that penetrate hard targets, but expand and stop in soft tissue.

Bottom line, no matter what you shoot from a 12 gauge is going to ruin someone's day. Just know where each round will go before you pull the trigger.

Of all firearms, shotguns are least likely to get banned or confiscated. And ammunition is diverse and readily available.
edit on 10/22/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: typos

More info on segmented slugs.

edit on 10/22/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: added video

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
A weapon for any family member to use, that is safe, easy to shoot and hit with???

20 ga. shotgun IMO.

All guns require training and practice, but handguns (many people don't like to admit this) are more of an operators weapon. You need considerable "intimate" time with your handgun. We all like to think we are good shooters. I've wore out one 1911 and am on my second one, have fired many thousands of rounds through them, and in my opinion a person isn't proficient with a handgun until they have fired at least 500 rounds. And that just means they can be expected to know how to use it under pressure. That is still a far cry from being a gun slinger, so to speak.

Shot guns are just easier. I'm not suggesting that a person doesn't need range time with one, though.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Compact, light weight, easily fired by children or anyone recoil sensitive, has a sporting look that won't look intimidating to any anti-gun authorities or jurors. www.guns.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
i would go with a pump action or semi-auto scatter gun with the barrel shortened for better mobility in hall ways, stairs, door ways etc.

that way you'll thoroughly out gun a handgun or knife, you have a high probability of hitting the intruder and you don't have to be an expert marksman to use effectively.

i would also use an open choke to get the pattern as big as possible, so you can shot from the hip if necessary and ensure a hit.

inside of a house, you're not going to be more than 10-15 yards from an intruder.

second. i would also invest in a bullet proof vest and practice putting in on in less than 2 seconds.

and third i'd attach a flash light with a pressure switch and some tritium dots for usable low light sight visibility.

most likely it'll be dark when an intruder breaks in. but i wouldn't turn on the flash light unless necessary or until i have positive confirmation of the intruder and can see him, so i don't give away my position.

plus the flashlight would blind him, giving you an advantage and better visibility of the situation.

you'll be a walking weapon of mass destruction. so if you see an intruder, you'll have time and be confident enough to level the shotgun at his head and ask him politely wtf he's doing in your house and hold him for the police.

and not panic and shot your dog or your neighbours kid out for some cheap thrills. which you have to consider so as to avoid a tragedy.

edit on 22-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
As people said, training is key. That is the number one thing you can have on your side. A firearm is only as effective as the person holding it.

Personally, I carry a Ruger SR9. I open carry more often than concealed. It's also kept in the nightstand on my side when we're sleeping. My wife has a Sig Sauer P238, but it's only used on the range. For primary home defense we have my father's old police revolver, a S&W .38 Special. That's kept in a central location in our home.

I'm not a fan of long guns for home defense. We have a smaller ranch home, with a lot of hallway and doorways, so getting through that with a long gun could be rather cumbersome. We do have a few long guns for hunting and plinking in our collection though.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'm not sure if you would be worse off having a gun or no gun at all, as if your thinking of being a surviver in a major world problem ahead then food is the thing you and family are going to need right? well a good 22 quite air rifle with scope etc would be my best bet to survive, no good killing game with a big gun if your kill is full of led or buck shot is it? plus if anyone is around close to your home who may want to pick a fight with you, the last thing you should do it fire a cannon which will allow him or a gang to find your home.
Safer to be quite, a good kill shot, and get under cover again ready for next time your hungry.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
short stock, pump-action shotgun with a pistol grip.

I'm 5'6" and that's what my husband got me for our downstairs front door.

I highly recommend taking your wife, or whomever will be shooting it, to the range for practice. As much as you think you're prepared to shoot a shotgun, as many times as you've seen it on t.v. and played it out in your mind.......you're never really prepared for the actual thing. Even grown men get knocked on their ass the first time.

Short stock and pistol grip work best for smaller people because we have to stand with our feet further apart for recoil support. Hard to do that while trying to balance a 3 to 4 foot long gun. Also, easier to make a hip shot with. I prefer hip to shoulder, but that's just my personal preference. And for cryin' out loud, make SURE the gun is on her HIP and not her side or gut.....I had to learn that little gem the hard way

If you have children in the house, I would highly and strongly recommend making the first shell round one with rubber balls versus lead shot. Or even a bean bag round. Either one of those will knock the sense out of anyone trying to invade your home long enough for you to chamber the second lead round, but neither one of those would kill your child or yourself should the unthinkable happen and that first round be accidentally engaged.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Treat NEVER keep keep.

A firearm has only one proper usage: Lethal force.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Don't just go to the range. It's a great start, but taking a class in home defense is really the way to go. Shooting paper targets is one thing, but a living being is something else entirely. Many gun ranges and shops have classes in home defense.

I'm also not a fan of shooting to disable. There is no guarantee it will actually disable the person. Someone knocked down or winded can still fire a gun with the help of adrenaline. If you find yourself in a situation where it's you or them and you have to pull the trigger, you want to make sure that all the cards are stacked in your favor and you come out okay. Dead men tell no lies. Depending on the laws in your community and state you could be held liable in criminal court for your actions.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

you're never really prepared for the actual thing. Even grown men get knocked on their ass the first time.

No they don't.

I prefer hip to shoulder, but that's just my personal preference.

Don't listen to this. It's a bad idea OP. Shotguns are not magic kill everything in front of it weapons. You still need to aim, and that is not easy from the hip even at shorter distances.

but neither one of those would kill your child or yourself should the unthinkable happen and that first round be accidentally engaged.

Don't listen to this either. Those loads can easily kill a grown man, they would in no way guarantee a child's safety.

I think it makes sense to have a pistol and a shotgun. Explain your setting a little better. Large property or apartment? Neighbors close by etc... There have been a few times where lugging around a shotgun was not practical for me. Like hearing someone messing around by my car outside. I'm not going to call the police, but I don't want to go out unarmed or with a freaking shotgun.

Budget?

Recommend classes for the whole family, at least one for whatever you decide on.

For a handgun I would go with the Glock 19. It is an awesome gun, can be carried concealed, shoots like a full size, I've never had one malfunction, cleans easy, shoots easy, and the operation is very simple.

For shotgun Remington 870. I would agree the pistol grip is nice, and an M4 type stock is helpful for people with different frames. Depending on your living situation there are tons of different choices for ammo.

Large property consider an AR-15 variant. I actually think an AR is better than a shotgun if you know how to use it even in an apartment. There's a reason cops are carrying them more often than shotguns now. Quite a few folks will tell you they penetrate similarly to a 00 pellet.

As everyone is saying practice and safety is the most important thing. Doesn't do much good if you shoot your foot or can't hit what you're aiming at.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

It only takes me a fraction of a second to pump that second round. And if I ever have to use that shotgun in my house, it will be with lethal intent. The last thing they'll remember in this life is me pumping off that first rubber shot at their face or balls before they get a foot-wide hole blown through their chest.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

And if you miss? Most homes don't have that big of space. A person can close in to lethal distance in that couple second it takes you to recover from the recoil, pump the shotgun, and aim again. Now your shotgun has been rendered moot.

Also, why keep the firearm by the downstairs front door? What if that is where the intruder enters? What if you're upstairs or somewhere else that isn't the front door? A vast majority of break ins, about 34% of them occur at the front door. Congratulations, you have now armed your intruder.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

you're never really prepared for the actual thing. Even grown men get knocked on their ass the first time.

No they don't.

I prefer hip to shoulder, but that's just my personal preference.

Don't listen to this. It's a bad idea OP. Shotguns are not magic kill everything in front of it weapons. You still need to aim, and that is not easy from the hip even at shorter distances.

but neither one of those would kill your child or yourself should the unthinkable happen and that first round be accidentally engaged.

Don't listen to this either. Those loads can easily kill a grown man, they would in no way guarantee a child's safety.

I think it makes sense to have a pistol and a shotgun. Explain your setting a little better. Large property or apartment? Neighbors close by etc... There have been a few times where lugging around a shotgun was not practical for me. Like hearing someone messing around by my car outside. I'm not going to call the police, but I don't want to go out unarmed or with a freaking shotgun.

Budget?

Recommend classes for the whole family, at least one for whatever you decide on.

For a handgun I would go with the Glock 19. It is an awesome gun, can be carried concealed, shoots like a full size, I've never had one malfunction, cleans easy, shoots easy, and the operation is very simple.

For shotgun Remington 870. I would agree the pistol grip is nice, and an M4 type stock is helpful for people with different frames. Depending on your living situation there are tons of different choices for ammo.

Large property consider an AR-15 variant. I actually think an AR is better than a shotgun if you know how to use it even in an apartment. There's a reason cops are carrying them more often than shotguns now. Quite a few folks will tell you they penetrate similarly to a 00 pellet.

As everyone is saying practice and safety is the most important thing. Doesn't do much good if you shoot your foot or can't hit what you're aiming at.

1. Not gonna swordfight with over my figurative statement about not being prepared for the recoil of a shotgun.

2. I said hip was simply my personal preference. My. Personal. And yes, it is not easy to aim from the hip. But with enough practice, you learn the nuances in aiming from that position and acclimate to an additional shot perspective, rather than being limited to shoulder-only perspective.

3. I never guaranteed anyone's safety. From what I understand, the OP has a teenager and a wife in the house. The likelihood of a fatality with a rubber round is embarassingly less than that of a lead round.

Sorry I crashed the men's only thread about guns

btw, take never keep keep may work in the Marine Corps, but many people have kids in their home and would feel more comfortable with a non-lethal round as the first shot. Responsible gun ownership can be practiced many ways, that is simply one of them.

edit on 22-10-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

And if you miss? Most homes don't have that big of space. A person can close in to lethal distance in that couple second it takes you to recover from the recoil, pump the shotgun, and aim again. Now your shotgun has been rendered moot.

Also, why keep the firearm by the downstairs front door? What if that is where the intruder enters? What if you're upstairs or somewhere else that isn't the front door? A vast majority of break ins, about 34% of them occur at the front door. Congratulations, you have now armed your intruder.

LOL....I said it's for the front door. Not by it. We have guns all over the house. My .38 special is what I have near the bed.

You're right, most homes don't have much space. That's why it would be virtually impossible to miss anything with a shotgun that tries to pass through your front door, especially when you're standing 3 feet in front of it.

It doesn't take a couple seconds to pump a shotgun round. You can do it in rapid succesive movements and just empty the chamber. Mine holds 5 rounds. That's 5 seconds.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

*shrug*

It's your home, your rules.

Whatever you feel safest / most comfortable with is for you to decide.

I know what I prefer (and now so do you lol).

I typically avoid firearms conversations TBH.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

I typically avoid firearms conversations TBH.

I'm beginning to think that's a pretty smart idea. Don't think I'll be giving my 2 cents on it ever again on ATS. Lesson learned

edit on 22-10-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It's ok.

It's just one of those topics that produces a vast number of opinions, and everybody thinks theirs is the best.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Home defense.. I use a Mossberg 500 and a S&W 357 mag. Before that though. for home defense is caution. I have lights ( dusk to dawn and motion) and I also have signs warning that I have a video surveillance system, which I do... and if you trespass I will prosecute. I would prefer that a fool pass me by to easier pickings. I figure that if a person passes my warnings, they obviously mean business ...and they will be dead. I simply dont want to kill anyone.. so I give em a heads up.

Defense is more than having the firepower once they get through the door.. real defense is preventing them from forming the full idea in their head in the first place. Hard to do with a big motion activated spotlight in your face..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join