It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New DOT regulations for ammunition in 2013?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I haven't heard anything about this, but I was reading the FedEx website regarding hazardous materials (www.fedex.com...) (Hey, who doesn't read this stuff?) and ran across something that looks suspicious. Specifically, on Jan 1, 2013, ORM-D Consumer Commodity; Cartridges, Small Arms; or Cartridges is being reclassified as UN0012, Cartridges, Small Arms, 1.4S (ADG).

Okay, maybe just some technical changes, maybe not. The footnote below this reads: "Since the hazard class is changing from Inaccessible Dangerous Goods (IDG) to Accessible Dangerous Goods (ADG), the service options for shipping and the DG surcharges will change."

Does this mean no more online ammunition purchases? Or maybe just making the shipping so expensive that is is no longer worth it?

Anyway, here is the link: www.fedex.com...

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

And that is why I always transport my own firearms and ammo. Just keep 'em seperate as you travel through the States as they have different laws.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Agreed, but I am more concerned about the potential impact on online ammunition sales.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Looks like ammo is exempt from being classed as a Division 1.4S and may still be shipped ORM-D. Hope this helps.

PDF
images.fedex.com...

Cartridges, small arms (ORM-D): Cartridges, small arms and cartridges, power
devices which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed
and offered for transportation as an ORM-D material when packaged in accordance
with 49 CFR 173.63(b). Each package containing an ORM-D material must be
marked on at least one side with the ORM-D marking. The proper shipping name of
the material, Cartridges, small arms or Cartridges, power devices, as
appropriate, must be marked above or before the ORM-D designation. No shipping
paper (OP-900) or certification form (OP-950) is required for ORM-D materials
transported via highway.

Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1) Cartridges, small
arms, and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices)
which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered
for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in
accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section. For transportation by aircraft,
the package must also comply with the applicable requirements of §173.27 of
this subchapter. Such transportation is excepted from the requirements of
subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter.
Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as
ORM–D material are limited to:
(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun;
(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive
projectiles;
(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol,
cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I think that is the current ("old") information. The date on the back of that publication is April 2009 (4/09).

These new changes go into effect on Jan 1, 2013.
edit on 10/22/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I would think it would mean that the Hazardous shipping cost would go through the Roof, making it more expensive to buy ammo and other explosive materials. Hell they wanted to charge me $30 hazardous fee for wanting to buy some really cheap blackpowder I found on the web. So I went to wally world and bought it for about $10 more than what it cost online. Better stock up NOW on those types of materials, because I have a feeling its all going to change come 2013. making it harder or more expensive to buy.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

A lot of this info is presented like a bill out of the house of reps. In other words, it's overly complicated lawyer speak.

To the best of my knowledge, ORM-D is being reclassed to Limited Quantity standard. The Limited Quantity sticker will be HAZMAT, but the ORM-D exemption will still be there, and ammo that ships under the old ORM-D standard will have less requirements and we will probably be spared the HAZMAT shipping charge.

Of course I could be wrong, this is how I have come to understand it. If there are any ATSers out there that know first hand please speak up.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Holy Bat Guano, Batman, its time to stock up on potassium nitrate...

to the bat cave...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Here's a little more about the "Accessible Dangerous Goods" designation:

Accessible vs. Inaccessible Dangerous Goods
Certain Dangerous Goods shipments must be accessible to the flight crew in-flight. These are categorized as Accessible Dangerous Goods (ADG). Inaccessible Dangerous Goods (IDG) do not need to be loaded so they are accessible to the flight crew in-flight.

And here is the different ways dangerous good can be shipped through FedEx:

Accessible Dangerous Goods may be shipped via:
FedEx® Priority Overnight
FedEx 2Day®
FedEx International Priority™
FedEx® International Priority Freight
FedEx 1Day® Freight
FedEx International Premium™
FedEx® International Express Freight

Inaccessible Dangerous Goods may be shipped via:
FedEx First Overnight®
FedEx® Priority Overnight
FedEx 2Day®
FedEx International First®
FedEx International Priority™
FedEx® International Economy
FedEx® International Priority DirectDistribution
FedEx® International Priority Freight
FedEx 1Day® Freight
FedEx International Premium™
FedEx® International Express Freight
FedEx International Priority Direct Distribution Freight™

So, impossible? No. More expensive, Yes. This part is rather vague:

...the service options for shipping and the DG surcharges will change.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A frieght truck carrying ORM-D need not placard where as a truck carrying 1.4S would have to place explosives or dangerous placards on the vehicle.

Placarding Rules dated 2011-10-1

Placarding shouldn't affect the freight rate, but it could cause other complications in the paperwork to someone or other. Like an explosives license could be required for gun dealers.

Seems to me Obama or somebody wanted to treat ammunition like explosives so as to limit the amount any citizen could own or have on hand.
edit on 22-10-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have been trying to seek out info on these changes as well. I was told my local warehouse this weekend that they will no longer stock vanilla and baking spray because costco won't drive it 150 miles south. If whatever changes they are making affect something so simple I am sure they have to affect bigger things. My guess is that it will make the shipping so prohibitively expensive that it won't be worth it. Here is a DOT link to everything else considered hazardous.

www.phmsa.dot.gov... vgnextchannel=4f347fd9b896b110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextfmt=print

Here is also a link to a document outlining some of the proposed changes to go into effect Jan 1, 2013.

www.costha.com...
edit on 23-10-2012 by woodsmom because: added last link

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I meant that I heard Obama or someone representing Obama on TV say that ammunition should be treated as an explosive substance and regulated accordingly.

Hazaedous Materials, HAZMAT, basically have two catagories.

1 something really dangerous like dynamite

2 something that could be dangerous if there was an accident and the responders didn't know about it.

Materials in the second catagory become dangerous when present in large amounts, either 1000 lbs or 2205 lbs. Classification as a hazardous material means that someone has to officially know how much if it is present.

Now the records of ammunition sales will be more precise and generally available within the government.

top topics

join