It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The nightmare of Insurance...any advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hey guys and gals,
okay, now that I've located a vehicle, I need to "bundle" up all of the insurance policies I have (which for now are all separate policies - dumb - but I'm lazy and always wait until it's forced on me to deal with it)...
I have homeowners, boat, 2 autos and a motorcycle to cover.

What are your suggestions for avoiding or contracting a provider???

thanks...

EDIT:
Oh, and in case it sounds like I'm rolling in $$$ -- no.
The boat is a '77 I inherited, the two cars are last century models completely paid for, the motorcycle is paid for as well (but a 2012) and the house is worth less than 80,000 dollars. We're not high on the hog.

We make do with what we can afford to buy.

edit on 22-10-2012 by wildtimes because: clarity and accuracy. 800k? NO.....nonono

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Best I can say is just shop around and do not pick someone until you have a quote from all the major players.

I can say I will never go with State Farm, they took their own policy holder to court to try and avoid paying the under insured coverage that the policy holder paid for.

Also, if it available in your state I know Progressive is offering a free trial of their snapshot.

Also call and get a quote don't do it online and ask about discounts all the discounts.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vodo34861

Thanks! Okay State-Farm off the list.

Right now I'm awaiting a quote from Safeco, because the old boat was covered under them since forever, and the Harley is covered under them in my husband's name in a separate policy.

They don't have terrific reviews, but I'm hoping they can beat what I'm paying now cumulatively (Probably anyone could, instead of 4 separate policies).

The truck is under Geico, the house under Farm Bureau, the boat and cycle Safeco, and the car I'm getting tomorrow is for now in Limbo.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Gonna guess you're not enamored with any agent you currently have, or you wouldn't be asking.

Insurance is frequently purchased like a commodity, but it really isn't. Those cut-rate policies you can buy are typically serviced by a call center via 800 number, and as long as you never have to use them, you at least can feel like you're protected for a reasonable price.

I prefer to deal with someone locally, and yes bundle wherever I can in order to save some bucks. Vehicles and house, for example. It's nice to deal with a live person who can answer some questions and help you make an informed decision, and God forbid should you need to file a claim, will be an advocate for you. That's when you really find out how 'good' your insurance is, and if it sucks, when you'll realize why insurance isn't a commodity.

I like dealing with someone who reps different lines and isn't tied into offering me only what one company offers. I'd recommend you maybe start somewhere like here and find an independent agent in your area using the search function. If you've got some trusted friends or family members who can recommend their agent, there's sure nothing wrong with that, either. A good agent will realize if they foul you up, there'll be likely more than just your account he'll lose. Yours, likely the one who referred you, and any additional referrals from either of you. Not an issue for Progressive or GEICO.

A good agent will find out what specifically you need and can afford, and work with you to customize a package that makes sense. An independent broker will have access to a number of companies offering specific coverage tailored to you. Finding cheap quotes on your own and cobbling something together works, as long as all you need is the illusion of protection and service.

Good luck.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 10/22/2012 by yeahright because: Typo

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Just saw you last post. I'd sure exhaust Farm Bureau before i eliminated them. They're typically very good, and responsive.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Brilliant. Thanks.
I'm asking Safeco to quote a bundle because that's where my dad chose to insure the boat, and he was a genius business-wise (and otherwise), and happy with them. Since the Harley is also under them due to my husband's independent choice (he didn't consult me on what insurance to get), I figure I've got two birds in that bush already....

and both my dad and husband are very frugal and careful.

THANKS AGAIN.
Good advice. I'd forgotten about independent agents, although I've used them before.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The problem with Farm Bureau is a strange one. The agent is a nice guy (and yes, I do prefer to deal with agents who know who I am)....
but, my mortgage is with Chase (the antichrist's company) and TWICE Chase has claimed that Farm Bureau did not pay the premium, so they tried to stick me with "their own policy".....which was approximately 3.4 million dollars per month....

needless to say, I had to deal with it head-on, disputing Chase (DUMP THEM IF YOU USE THEM!) and asking Farm Bureau to resend the paperwork.

Honestly, I really don't know how people manage to keep up with all this CRAP that gets laid on us. My kids are grown and out on their own now, and I'm retired, so it's easier to take care of, but its seems like you have to be a genius AND a juggler to keep up with everything.

I hate it.
Ugh.

So, well, Farm Bureau, anyway, they also tried to cancel my "tree-falling-on-your-house" coverage (my yard is full of mature shade trees), and I had to fight them to keep it covered. I'm sorta done with them.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I always compare the Farm Bureau for insurance like a credit union for banking in that it's a member thing. Obviously, there's no guarantee that you won't run into a clinker, and as you know insurance companies are a profit deal. You've got to fight them over stuff occasionally, and that's never fun. I think they believe if they throw up enough road blocks, they'll just wear you down. That's why I like an independent agent. Let them do the fighting, and he's got some skin in the game if I decide to leave over it.

If I was betting, I'd bet the mortgage thing was more Chase than Farm Bureau, but I could be wrong. I dumped Chase as a bank years ago, less than 6 months after they acquired my old bank and I quickly grew dissatisfied with the way they operated. I have no experience with them as a mortgage company, but I can't imagine it would be much better. Unfortunately, the way mortgages are sold on the open market, we don't have a lot of control over who has it. Mine's currently Ocwen, and I can't believe anywhere else would or could be worse.

Anyway, insurance is a PITA especially when you're looking to make changes. The only thing worse than buying cheap insurance and finding out when you go to make a claim that they suck, is buying expensive insurance and finding out the same thing.

Like I said, good luck.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Yes, Farm Bureau told me Chase does that on purpose to RIP PEOPLE OFF.
GHA how I hate them.

I didn't ask for them to buy my mortgage, and I'm sometimes tempted to tell them, "You know what? I've paid you all I'm paying you. You can add up all the payments and deduct it (including INTEREST) from the original purchase price. That's it. I'm done. You suck."

If only they hadn't ruined MY credit because they REFUSED TO ACKNOWLEDGE my ex's responsibility for a huge debt which he was ordered to pay IN COURT.....
I'd refi.
But, no. They have me by the eyelids. I hate them.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Yes, Farm Bureau told me Chase does that on purpose to RIP PEOPLE OFF.

I was thinking about that. Arrangements can differ, but the usual one is you pay into an escrow account managed by the mortgage company for your taxes and insurance. The mortgage company adds that expense to your monthly payment. The do that to indemnify themselves against losing a property to unpaid taxes, or uncovered damage. But the mortgage company ultimately has the responsibility to pay the insurance premium and property tax out of the escrow account.

So if it doesn't get paid... it's the mortgage company at fault.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Huh....
then why were they (Chase) claiming that Farm Bureau didn't send in the premium? Yes, my taxes and insurance are included in my P/I payment.

So, there's an escrow at Chase.....and Farm Bureau manages the policy that I pay via Chase..... and they pay Chase......
I don't know. In any case, Chase blows, and it's all a big profit scam anyway, no question about it.

In my opinion, insurance should NEVER be held publicly. If you have a policy, you pay in, and when bad things happen, you are covered. PERIOD. It's not supposed to be public Investors that get the "dues" and "premiums." It should be the policy-holders only!!!!!!)

gha. Again. (Obviously I'm a bit stressed what with
finding and buying a car,
dealing with insurance.
the dreaded DMV,
election year fatigue.

And general pissiness, I guess. )

At least it's nice weather here today....81F!! So, I've done all I can do today on these matters. Talk to you later!

Thanks for your advice and comments!!
~w

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Turns out the guy I called is an independent agent. I thought he was just Safeco. nope.

So, now he's putting together a bundle home/boat, and the three vehicles. Looks like it will save us 500 a year, BUT, we have to pay it upfront???

So, no. I paid him the amount for JUST the new car, and will talk to him about bundling later. It's with State Auto.

We'll see.

Amazingly, miraculously, and thunderstrikingly, THERE WAS NO LINE AT THE DMV!!!

EDIT:
Oh, and, the seller of the car ALSO said to avoid State Farm. So, they are def not in the running!!

edit on 23-10-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

top topics

join