It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why cant clocks generate power?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Why cant a modified design of a grandfather clock be used to generate electricity? Youd just need some quite heavy weights, wouldnt you.......? And a highly efficient generator.....and someone to wind the clock every week........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
the idea is plausible on producing enough electricity to power a few light globes. but on mass scale you would need allot of people to push them weights.

I have thought the same thing but really once you think about it, its not that practical.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Why cant a modified design of a grandfather clock be used to generate electricity? Youd just need some quite heavy weights, wouldnt you.......? And a highly efficient generator.....and someone to wind the clock every week........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

This is kinda like saying...why cant bicycles generate power?? All we would need is a generator attached to the wheel and someone to ride it...

Well the answer is the bicycle isn't really generating the power the sun ultimately is...because its is growing the food that gives you the energy to ride the bike and generate power...its all simply transfer of energy...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
From a scientific standpoint, it requires more energy going in to generate the electricity than we would receive from it.

From a conspiratorial standpoint........Big Oil, monopolies, corporate greed, governments in companies pockets.

I could make a laundry list why it wouldn't work or be allowed to grow fruition.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
the idea is plausible on producing enough electricity to power a few light globes. but on mass scale you would need allot of people to push them weights.

I have thought the same thing but really once you think about it, its not that practical.

Personally I think the future of energy is decentralized and holographic in its design. machines/utilities/appliances will harvest energy themselves and store in batteries. They will be their own "power-plant" so to speak they will use multiple mediums of harvesting energy much like the rovers and satellites we currently have in space millions of miles away from any "power plant".

Without having to move energy hundreds and thousands of miles will make it more efficient, not having to use energy to create and maintain a energy transport infrastructure would in the end reduce the total amount of energy consumed...utilizing less is another role in creating more energy.

Self sustaining energy platforms designed into each and every appliance...this will ultimately be made possible by engineers.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
There's only one method of providing infinite electrical energy until the end of times.

Tap into the Ionosphere. There's Jiggawatzz of Electron Volts waiting to be harvested.

Tesla figured it all out a long time ago.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
There's only one method of providing infinite electrical energy until the end of times.

Tap into the Ionosphere. There's Jiggawatzz of Electron Volts waiting to be harvested.

HAARP.....

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
On a massive MASSIVE scale, you'll need some method to "wind" your giant grandfather clock. Since you don't want to use electricity to generate electricity (always a losing proposition), you'll have to find another method to input the power.

How about hooking up jobless people to a giant millstone?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Well typically grandfather clocks run for 7 days after pulling a chain down. I wasng really talking about on a large scale...but a decentralized setup for a house..

Im gonna try to build one...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
They can.

It isn't worth the effort.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I have a self charging watch. It charges itself from the movement of my arm. The electrical output is minuscule but the technology is there.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

HAARP.....

I think the Ionosphere is more like a giant battery, and one battery we dont exactly want to run out.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Tidal generators work on a similar principal, using gravity and movement. It takes lots of energy to wind a spring.

top topics

join