It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide Bomber was British

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Will update with link when possible but appears that the suicide bober who blew himself up in a bar in Isreal today, killing two/four (sorry news services disagree on exact numbers) and injuring 50, was a British citizen.
(source BBC news)

No link as yet will put up when available

[Edited on 30-4-2003 by cassini]

[Edited on 30-4-2003 by cassini]

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
here we go

news.bbc.co.uk...

I`ll be very interested to hear where exactly this guy came from. It would appear a perfect way for the suicide bombers to get past the Israelis. Palestinians get stopped, foreigns generally don`t. This may add more paranoia to the region.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Personally I find this affair very disturbing much like Richard Reid. If anyone comes across more info on these guys please post here.

It does seem that there was a second bomber who either lost his nerve or the oppurtunity for some reason.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Let's get one thing straight shall we?
This guy wasn't British.

He might have lived in Derby. He might have had a British passport. He might even have had British citizenship.

But no way was this jerk-off British.

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 02:27 AM
link   
"Let's get one thing straight shall we?
This guy wasn't British.

He might have lived in Derby. He might have had a British passport. He might even have had British citizenship.

But no way was this jerk-off British."

Fair enough but until they tell me that the passports were a forgeries it will concern me.

1) names of two people concerned,
Asif Mohammed Hanif,
Omar Khan Sharif,
They don`t sound British and in all likelyhood are about as British as the descendants of Genghis Khan.

2) They had British passports and they appears genuine.
This beyond a shadow of a doubt makes them OUR responsibility. NO matter where they come from

3) It would seem that the government needs to crack down on who it is giving passports to.

dom

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Sharif was born in India, moved to the UK, 21 years old. He successfully detonated his bomb. Hanif was born in Derby, 27 years old, he's on the run.

I think it's really sad that British citizens feel that this is the only way to make a political point. It also highlights the growing divide in Britain between a) the muslim and non-muslim community and b) politicians and the general public.

This can only increase the tension between different communities in Britain, which after 20 years of integration, is a real shame.

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   
"This can only increase the tension between different communities in Britain, which after 20 years of integration, is a real shame."

Good point, its not gonna help very much is it? It may even serve to increase the political noise over the immigration issue. The UK takes the largest amount of refugees in the EU and there has over the last couple of years been increasing pressure to take measures over who is allowed in and perhaps who is allowed out.

Football hooligans can have their passports withdrawn so they can`t travel, could we take the same measures with known, or suspected terrorists? A dodgy road you may say but may be if thats the price it takes to save a life.....

It seems that with the shoe bomber and I believe some British citizens may held in Guantanomo bay there are is an ever increasing need for the UK gov to take some measures on this.

It probably creates an even worse nightmare for the Israeli security forces as now EVERY face may seem dangerous. Two people from another country prepared to sacrifice themselves this way is very disturbing.

[Edited on 1-5-2003 by cassini]

dom

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 05:20 AM
link   
A resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian situation would probably be a better solution than randomly removing people's passports for being suspected terrorists. I don't trust the police to be able to make valid decisions here, and I don't like the idea of the UK allowing it's citizens rights to be abused in the same way that some US citizens rights are being abused.

Also, the three tipton guys being held at Guantanamo still haven't actually been charged with anything, and are being held illegally by the US.

The only way to act against terrorists is the traditional way, infiltration and investigation. There has to be solid proof before any action is taken, and when there's solid proof these people can be locked up for a long time regardless of whether or not they actually carried out the attack...

As for asylum. Seems like a political hot potato at the moment. My brother-in-law is standing as a Conservative today, and he showed me the asylum leaflet they've posted everywhere. Basically they argue that too many asylum seekers are bogus, and they're a huge drain on society, so lets make it more difficult for them to get in. Fair enough I'd say, as long as genuine asylum seekers are still welcome...

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 05:51 AM
link   
if this is true now
we do have a really big problematic,who ever like to suicide will have a new way to kill them self
the way it is TOUR DE SUICIDE into israel states. it look like we are on our last vacation touring
it just a joke

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 05:51 AM
link   
"A resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian situation would probably be a better solution"

That of course would be the best way forward. No arguement on that.

"I don't trust the police to be able to make valid decisions here"

So you trust the police and intelligence services to make the right desicions about football hooligans and criminals but not a few terrorists. (I`d just like to say for the record I don`t trust `em to do a damn thing right)

" The only way to act against terrorists is the traditional way, infiltration and investigation"

Not disagreeing but I`d read these before you get to set on that.

www.observer.co.uk...

www.observer.co.uk...

"Also, the three tipton guys being held at Guantanamo still haven't actually been charged with anything, and are being held illegally by the US."

Thats right they are being held under the premise they are enemy combatants. Point is they were UK citizzens who thought is was a good idea to fight and die for he Taliban or Osama.

" There has to be solid proof before any action is taken"

Guilford four ring any bells?

"Fair enough I'd say, as long as genuine asylum seekers are still welcome..."

Amen to that. NOt sure I entirely agree on the Conservative policy but I do think we need a strong lead from someone on this.

And good luck to your Brother in law

[Edited on 1-5-2003 by cassini]

top topics

join