It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence of Viking Outpost Found in Canada

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Are there any Viking or Indian myths/legends about this? Meeting people with extremely diffrent appearence, culture and tech level should be something that stays in cultural memory.
I do not doubt the obvious fact that Vikings got to America ,just the fact that there was some interaction with natives, especially trade - since its results could be seen pretty easily. Indian hunters should be ecstatic about Viking steel weapons and will certainly try to trade for those.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Hmmmm I think I'll be skeptical on that one but thanks for bringing it up

edit on 22/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

Edited to add

The Admiral was "of good stature and appearance, taller than the average and strongly limbed: the eyes lively and other parts of the face of good proportion, the hair very red, and the face somewhat ruddy and freckled ...." long visaged with cheeks somewhat high, but neither fat nor thin. He had an aquiline nose and his eyes were light in color; his complexion too was light, but kindling to a vivid red. In youth his hair was blond, but when he came to his thirtieth year it all turned white.- Description by his son, Ferdinand. Columbus's second son Ferdinand should certainly be regarded as a reliable source as he traveled constantly with his father between the ages of 12 and 18.

Another historian of the day, Bartolome de las Casas, the "Historian of the Indies," knew Columbus quite well after his return from the New World. His description agrees with the other accounts except for the inclusion of a beard. He writes that "His form was tall, above the medium: his face long and his countenance imposing: his nose aquiline: his eyes clear blue: his complexion light, tending toward a decided red, his beard and hair were red when he was young, but which cares then had early turned white."

Link to the info above

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yes...I saw that. It didn't come off with the most compelling info I'd ever seen, to be honest. But as I said, truth is stranger than fiction. Still, I've heard for years and years that Mars is inhabited by little green men and that the moon is made of green cheese and I'm not swallowing those whole either. The jury is most definitely out on this one.

Why would this Scottish guy not even appear in portraits as himself? Too weird for my taste. The whole story is wonky at best.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

The Vikings had sagas, Greenlanders' Saga and Eirik the Red's Saga. There are two other ones but I cannot remember their names a this time

Eriks

Greenlander's

The Native Americans of that area were nearly wiped out I'm not sure if their legends were recorded. Something to investigate. The Vikings encountered several groups most of which are now gone.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yes...I saw that. It didn't come off with the most compelling info I'd ever seen, to be honest. But as I said, truth is stranger than fiction. Still, I've heard for years and years that Mars is inhabited by little green men and that the moon is made of green cheese and I'm not swallowing those whole either. The jury is most definitely out on this one.

Why would this Scottish guy not even appear in portraits as himself? Too weird for my taste. The whole story is wonky at best.

So is the story of Shakespeare. You mean I am supposed to believe that, arguably, the most literate man in the history of western culture had a daughter that was unable to read? The historical Shakespeare was little more than a pauper, whose own daughter was illiterate.

Not saying I buy the "Columbus was a Scot" story, either. But I do believe that he spent enough time in the northern climes that he was aware of their trade history.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Thank you for those links, never read it before. Vikings and Indians certainly met ,there was certainly a trade involved and indeed Indians wanted to buy weapons and were refused. But i would not call them partners due to clear mention of hostilities.
Of course article speaks about different location so everything is possible.
Lots of info and i did not read the text from second link yet - too long.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Go look for the georgia stones!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
they dig up white guys in michigan that are way too old to be there
they dig up white guys wearing plaid and have red and blonde beards in china,that shouldn't be there.
they find chinese anchkors off the coast of california that shouldn't be there
there are huge heads made of stone found in mexico,many of them representing races of men that don't belong there!
what part of 'the historians are lying to us' don't you get?!
explain where the people of jonestown went.(ya pocahantis stuff)
why is there a round house in newport that is of totaly european style that shouldn't be there.
why is there an effigy of a fallen templar knite chiseled in stone on a hill side on westford ledge?
it shouldn't be there!
peris reis map shouldn't exist!
need i say more!?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
But according to America, Columbus is still the hero of discovery with regards to North America.. Columbus day is a National holiday that should be repealed and abolished for the sham that it truly is.

Because we all know that this is nothing but a glorified piece of non history.

1492...Yeah, right.

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
But according to America, Columbus is still the hero of discovery with regards to North America.. Columbus day is a National holiday that should be repealed and abolished for the sham that it truly is.

Because we all know that this is nothing but a glorified piece of non history.

1492...Yeah, right.

Peace

East Coast Italian Americans (wink wink) will never let that happen.

At least, according to Tony Soprano.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I thought some might find this a bit odd.

www.oodegr.com...

The link will show you a place in West Virginia where rock carvings from some Irish monks may predate the Vikings.

"For centuries it was firmly believed and taught that North America was discovered by Christopher Columbus. More recently, there has been general agreement that Norsemen or Vikings were probably on this continent around 1000  "But," as the editors of National Geographic magazine point out, "perhaps it was a group of shadowy, yet very real, Irish seafaring monks who predated even the Vikings by more than four centuries." [1] Indeed, there is evidence that this may be true."

Pladuim

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Pladuim

Hmmm...Celt. That would be Scottish, not Irish, no?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Pladuim

Yes...

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Pladuim

'Celt' isn't Scottish or Irish. it's European, and even then there is some doubt. Stories of 'Celtic blood; are best reserved for Mel Gibson films. You are as likely to be what would be classed as Celtic if you are from Portugal or Spain, but....... I know a lot of people may flame me for saying that.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Once again, great find!

I've always held that the Norse knew and travelled the Americas since the mid to late 900's.

Thanks, Hanslune, for another bit of information to sort!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

reply to post by Pladuim

'Celt' isn't Scottish or Irish. it's European, and even then there is some doubt. Stories of 'Celtic blood; are best reserved for Mel Gibson films. You are as likely to be what would be classed as Celtic if you are from Portugal or Spain, but....... I know a lot of people may flame me for saying that.

Wouldn't argue that one bit. But when you typically refer to the Celts, you are talking about the Scots.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Not only different locations, but entirely different cultures. The Dorsett (an off-shoot of the modern Inuit) and the Algonkian (Newfoundland and Nova Scotia). One side prefers trade with the Strangers and one doesn't. Simple ala Occam.

Lego Dilgenter!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I think you may have missed the Vinland Sagas

Leif Eriksson was the chieftain of the Norse on Greenland, and Leif is given credit for exploring the lands of Helluland (probably Baffin Island), Markland ("Treeland", likely the heavily wooded Labrador coast) and Vinland (probably what is southeasternern Canada)

Leif was the son of Erik the Red that most colorful of Viking outlaws.

Source (eaiser than scanning my library

edit on 22-10-2012 by LetsGoViking because: Missed a line

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Great article. I love reading stuff like this. I'm into old and ancient history.

Great find S/F

Those Vikings took a hell of route and must have been rowing for days, or maybe even weeks to reach Canada. Still blows my mind.

Erik the Red
Lief Erickson
-----------------------------------
Another Source

-SAP-

edit on 22-10-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
great find, love anything to do with old civs, and especially when dealing with trade, so as we can get out of this box, that man didnt trade/have capalbilities to trade long distances. wasnt there roamn/viking stuff found in middle america(usa) like ohio or something? they found all kinds of roman/viking looking swords and shields.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join