Girl dies after drinking an energy drink

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I use caffeine quite frequently. I thought I was dying the first time I had a panic attack, and it was triggered by too much caffeine. I had taken the caffeine pills to stay up and study or something. I used to drink multiple Monsters or NOS energy drinks back to back, and never really had any bad side effects.

I mean your heart rate will increase as your CNS is stimulated, but I never had much of a problem. Granted, nowadays if I drink an energy drink I only drink one per day, if that. I also do not think the parents can sue the company, because there are warning labels. The one thing that may be an issue is that she was a minor, but I'm not a lawyer so I don't know.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

It should not be for sale to minors!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
She should've drank a Kombucha instead.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebtheb
For the record, most cups of coffee contain at the very most 200 mg of caffeine, so not 8-10 cups of coffee, two or three maybe.
edit on 23-10-2012 by thebtheb because: (no reason given)

You're either talking about espressos or huge cups.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
usually a harmless heart condition, called mitral valve prolapse

McDonald's can be harmless too ...if you don't have diabetes.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sablicious

Originally posted by SpearMint
usually a harmless heart condition, called mitral valve prolapse

McDonald's can be harmless too ...if you don't have diabetes.

Having a big mac won't kill you if you have diabetes.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
In your sensationalized post OP you forgot to mention

Anais Fournier reportedly had what is usually a harmless heart condition, called mitral valve prolapse, which is common in as many as one in 10 people.

Suing won't succeed, it was fluke. She could of just as well drank too much coffee like a big gulp coffee at 7/11.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Also OP read the comments on the story. The story is incorrect about the amount of caffeine in each can by a huge amount which leads me to think other things might be wrong in it.

7X vs 14X is a gross misrepresentation of the story

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
They should make dangerous substances like "Monster" and other "killing your heart" drinks be 21+ to drink just like alcohol, show your license to buy it. Face it, kids don't read labels, their kids. Grown-ups should made decisions for them.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Be careful with the orange soda. When I went caffeine free I was shocked to discover that many orange sodas add caffeine as an ingredient...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Bottom line, Caffeine is a drug. However, it is socially embraced and therefore, OK! They (Monster, Red Bull, Rock Star, blah blah blah) sponsor events attended and geared towards the 10-18 demographic like the X-Games. They sell shirts, hats, shoes and pants. They give away stickers, key chains, flashlights and bandanas. I work in SF and we recently had the Dew Tour in all it's glory, for 16 days (actually still going on me thinks), right in front of the public library. What is right out in front of the entrance? Hot chicks in bikinis ( up until this week, is has actually been warm in the city) handing out free "They" drinks, to KIDS cutting school to go see their heroes in action, who happen to be wearing "They" shirts, riding "They" skateboards and bikes and drinking WATER from "They" sponsored squeeze bottles.

Anyone remember the old beer commercials? Hamm's used to have a cartoon bear that rode on a raft in a river, drinking beer with other cartoon animals. Bud had Spud's Macenzie, the beer drinking, chic magnet dog. Damn that thing was cute! Someone somewhere had an epiphany "Hey, these commercials look like kids would like them. Wait, I have kids! Screw that!" and eventually had the beer industry change at least SOME of their ad campaigns.

The unfortunate part is that a child, maybe children, had to die in order for this problem to reach everyone.

Caffeine doses of 200 mg or higher can cause unpleasant symptoms including nausea, headache, and irregular heartbeat, while dose of 750 - 1000 mg can cause severe toxic symptoms. Severe caffeine intoxication can result in nausea, vomiting, anxiety, tremor, seizures, tachycardia, dysrhythmias, hypotension, hypokalemia, and metabolic acidosis. Several fatalities resulting from caffeine overdose have been documented, but they are extremely rare relative to its widespread use. In the case of a massive caffeine overdose, vomiting often protects against fatal poisoning, but some deaths have still resulted. Fatal dose range in humans is believed to be between 3 - 20 grams, approximately the amount of caffeine found in 20 - 130 cups of drip coffee or 15-100 common caffeine tablets (200 mg each). Blood caffeine levels greater than 80 ug/mL have been associated with death, but data is limited. It is difficult to ingest such high levels of caffeine accidentally, and many of the documented fatalities appear to be suicide attempts involving the ingestion of a large number of caffeine pills.

erowid.com[/url]

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE! Let your kids know! Email your heroes and tell them what they are propagating! This crap call KILL!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
What's bothering me is the media covering this story(like any other story)...
They're completely idiotic, saying things like:

"What could have been done to prevent this little girls death?"
"Well, should there some kind of warning label stating when too much may be fatal?"

As I grew up, my parents never let me drink coffee, not until was over the age of 16...
So if anyone is to blame, it's the parents even though nobody forced her to consume the drink, but they could have gave her restrictions on what she could have/not have.
Don't get me wrong, anyone can walk into a convenience store and purchase as many cans as they'd like.

And as far as the fatal label??... Are you effing kidding me? When's the last time you looked at a bottle of vodka and saw "if you consume this entire bottle, you may get alcohol poisoning and/or die"?... Give me a break..

All I see coming out of this whole thing is increasing the age requirement for purchasing energy drinks,
same as buying cigarette/tobacco products and alcohol.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I am very sorry for this girls family, but I think most people know that these drinks are meant for when you need a an energy boost and not to be drank like regular soda. Its not the company's fault that people drink it in excess, I mean, they tell you how much caffeine is in it, and that you shouldn't have more than one can a day. It is called "Monster Energy" after all. Although I sympathise, I myself drink way too many energy drinks than I should and depend on caffeine, even knowing what I know. But you have to take responsibility, not blame the company :/

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3chainz
This is a Darwin award candidate. Everyone knows, even teenagers, that caffeine is a stimulant that makes your heart rate increase.

I second that. Natural selection. With 14 years you should know (taught by parents/school) that it's kinda unhealthy to consume 1.5 litres of an energy drink. Even if not your bodysenses should alert you that something is wrong. Although I don't understand the package-size. 0.7l cans? "Supersize me"-USA, as far as I know there are only 250ml tins in Europe. And even though, I wouldn't get any child near energy drinks nor coffee. And even if, not at such high doses. (The dose makes the poison. You can even die drinking common water.)
edit on 24-10-2012 by defrost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by defrost

Originally posted by 3chainz
This is a Darwin award candidate. Everyone knows, even teenagers, that caffeine is a stimulant that makes your heart rate increase.

I second that. Natural selection. With 14 years you should know (taught by parents/school) that it's kinda unhealthy to consume 1.5 litres of an energy drink. Even if not your bodysenses should alert you that something is wrong. Although I don't understand the package-size. 0.7l cans? "Supersize me"-USA, as far as I know there are only 250ml tins in Europe. And even though, I wouldn't get any child near energy drinks nor coffee. And even if, not at such high doses. (The dose makes the poison. You can even die drinking common water.)
edit on 24-10-2012 by defrost because: (no reason given)

Do any of you go outside? As in live in the REAL WORLD??

Darwin Candidate? WTF is wrong with you, what a dumb sh!t to say.

Government should make any type of these Energy Drinks just like Alochol and Tobacco, accessible only if you are 21+ years of age.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

Bud had Spud's Macenzie, the beer drinking, chic magnet dog.

haha I love Spuds! who was a chick by the way (there's an LGBT joke in there somewhere, or some trail-blazing going on... idk, something!)

Back on topic: no one is going to make caffeine illegal or try to put age limits on it - at the end of the day parents need to teach their children MODERATION - and when the parent knows the child has HEREDITARY healthy issues, or the potential for them, its up to the PARENT to educate their child.

Sad though that these chemicals are capitalized on...

used to be you had to like the taste of beer/whiskey to get drunk too, but now we have schnapps, wine coolers, candy in a bottle

where did I hear that before? .... oh yeah!! (language warning!)
edit on 24-10-2012 by Forevever because: uncensored

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
So, don't mess with my energy drinks. I don't like hot drinks, and unless I put tons of milk and sugar in it, I won't drink coffee.

You do not want to see me without my caffeine

You 'feen' addicts are scary. You'll say anything to get your hit, and when it's questioned, you threaten violence!!

I say 'Feen' should be outright illegal. Save da childen... tink of da childen!

You feen fiends.. oughta be locked up to save us all!!

anyone who cannot see that the inevitable result of this will be to further restrict your personal freedom, then my hat comes off to you. You've managed to remain blasé.

Hehe be interesting to see how they roll the stigma around a legal and accepted chemical. caffeine. Too many law abiding citizens like it. And all it takes is one young girls death to create a whirlwind of ignorance that takes any discourse right into la la land where facts are ignored and hysterics abound.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
Without being a chemist, and without even Googling the individual ingredients, I count three very strong stimulants, other than caffeine, just off of the top of my head... ginseng, taurine, and guarana. Also some B nutrients that are probably cardiac stimulants as well.

~Heff

Taurine is not a stimulant. It's action in energy drinks is to act as a calmative to the excessive amounts of caffeine. It's basically takes the shakes and jitters out of it, so you feel energised, buzzy, and have a caffeine buzz without the shakes and jitters.

It's also been found to have benefit to liver recovery in alcoholics, and to lessen hangovers.

I know it isn't a stimulant as I used to take it as a supplement each morning, with my coffee.

In addition, it has been shown to be effective in removing fatty liver deposits in rats, preventing liver disease, and reducing cirrhosis in tested animals.[11][12] There is also evidence that taurine is beneficial for adult human blood pressure and possibly, the alleviation of other cardiovascular ailments (in humans suffering essential hypertension, taurine supplementation resulted in measurable decreases in blood pressure).

-- beneficial for blood pressure and hypertension, things stimulants antagonise.

but Guarana.. that stuff is pure caffeine and tastes like butt so that's why they have to fill these cans of energy drinks with 5000 teaspoons of sugar.

I think, iirc, the caffeine content from energy drinks is from guarana alone.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I didn't know energy drinks had that much caffeine in them.
Good thing I don't drink them much.

People need to know how dangerous it can be and either cut down or completely stop drinking them like I did while I was still in school, fortunately quite early on.

To be fair, this kind of thing doesn't happen often enough for people to acknowledge it. It's not like having a drink or a cigarette. The damages that both do to your body are well-known for obvious reasons, however caffeine is already in so much of what we consume daily we forget it's a big deal. Not to mention coffee shops on every street.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join