Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Girl dies after drinking an energy drink

page: 6
15
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
I gave my answer several replies back. The idiot will not contribute to the gene pool unlike others who slip through the cracks.

If one idiot fails to contribute to the gene pool that means a multiple number of her potential idiots down the line will never exist. Voila. Fewer idiots.

Now, was the remedial math necessary or are you really that daft?


And as I said several posts back, stupidity is not hereditary. Your point is invalid and your need for petty insults reassures that.

This girl was also only 14, she still had a lot to learn, but that's besides the point.




posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 

Apparently you've never seen some of these American reality TV shows.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
If a person dies in a car wreck from driving too fast should the family sue the car company?


They will try to sue the insurance company.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by SpearMint
 

Apparently you've never seen some of these American reality TV shows.


Just because people are stupid, doesn't make it hereditary. It isn't. You don't seem to be able to understand that.

But no, I don't watch that crap and I'm proud of it.
edit on 23-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint


Being stupid isn't hereditary. We are too advance medically and technologically, life is made too easy for most of the world and there is simply too many of us for natural selection to take place and have any effect. Nothing good will come of this in terms of natural selection. Survival of the fittest doesn't really exist any more, the unfit can survive.

 


Natural selection still applies. While physical traits (like immune function, athletic ability, disease resistance, etc) may be overcome by some medicine, that still leaves many psychological or personality traits that are passed on genetically.

Some people are predisposed to addictions, mental illness, etc. Which will affect how the person grows, develops, and reproduces.


Personality traits are increasingly being studied to understand individual-level determinants of fertility patterns, and how differences in personality can be maintained by natural selection.


www.medicalnewstoday.com...

The simple fact that 2 billion worth of Monster Energy has been sold and one girl died, is a pretty good example of natural selection. Modern medicine has not made every illness preventable, nor even cured or found treatments for everything...

www.energyfiend.com...



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint


Just because people are stupid, doesn't make it hereditary. It isn't. You don't seem to be able to understand that.

 


It is to some degree:


Twin research has shown that 55% of intelligence is determined by genetics. This genetic component determines the upper limit of your intelligence, that is the maximum intelligence you can realize. Your environment determines whether you will actually reach this maximum level. You could compare intelligence with athleticism. Some people are more inclined to sports than others.


www.123test.com...



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho
 


Yet again, stupidity isn't hereditary, it doesn't apply.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by SpearMint


Just because people are stupid, doesn't make it hereditary. It isn't. You don't seem to be able to understand that.

 


It is to some degree:


Twin research has shown that 55% of intelligence is determined by genetics. This genetic component determines the upper limit of your intelligence, that is the maximum intelligence you can realize. Your environment determines whether you will actually reach this maximum level. You could compare intelligence with athleticism. Some people are more inclined to sports than others.


www.123test.com...


Intelligence and common sense are not the same.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
people take pills and drink all the time and for a fair number its fatal
more warning labels? ban alcohol? ban medication that has adverse effects when mixed with other medication or alcohol? maybe a nation wide database that can be accessed by anyone dispensing liquor so they can check what medication your on with a little red or green light indicating if its ok to sell to them?

or maybe we can act like adults and accept the fact that some people regardless of age are going to do stupid # and youre never going to stop people from doing stupid #
she was fourteen.... that is young but thats more than old enough to know better do you honestly believe that if she had four more years she would have made a different decision?
she may have well never know but its daft to think that the number of years youve spent on this earth is any kind of indication of maturity
17 years and 364 days.... nono far too immature.... 18 A O.K.
im 23 now still young enough to remember when i was fourteen and i cant begin to describe how frustrating it is to be told what decisions you are and are not capable of making from incredibly immature people that are fully grown that we now all deal with everyday in our adult lives



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink
 


Those things you listed are all regulated or have age limits.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


some countries have drastically different regulations on alcohol
so whats the difference between a 19 year old in canada and a 19 year old in the united states? or for that matter a 16 year old in palestine and a 16 year old in australia?

im sure you will be hard pressed to find a link between the legal age for alcohol and abuse or deaths related to alcohol



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by SpearMint
 


some countries have drastically different regulations on alcohol
so whats the difference between a 19 year old in canada and a 19 year old in the united states? or for that matter a 16 year old in palestine and a 16 year old in australia?

im sure you will be hard pressed to find a link between the legal age for alcohol and abuse or deaths related to alcohol


I don't see what differences in age limits have to do with anything, they both stop younger people buying it which reduces the amount of younger people abusing whatever has the age limit. I think 16 is too young, that's a completely different issue.
'
edit on 23-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint


Intelligence and common sense are not the same.


 


Intelligence has a large play on people's behaviours and their personal choices with how they act, what they consume, and habits they develop. Much of it is environmental as well of course.

You can blame the girls parents in this case, or blame the genetics they passed onto the kid. Especially if she was aware of the medical condition prior.


The report also showed that the teenager had Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which can affect the body’s connective tissue, including blood vessels. A lawyer for her family, Kevin Goldberg, said that the 14-year-old had been aware she had an underlying heart condition but added that her doctors had not told her to restrict her physical activities or her caffeine use.



In this case, maybe you can put more blame on the doctor's that treated the girl as the family claims they weren't warned about caffeine. I wouldn't go so far as to sue the doctor's but in the future maybe make it so they inform patients of complications from food intake, if it's not being done already.

The mother is pictured below.



www.nytimes.com...

The simple fact that the same amount of caffeine could have been consumed from a few ice cappuchinos makes the proposal to ban/limit/regulate the energy drink to a certain age group stupid. If they do so, they may as well do the same for coffee.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho
 


You seem to be very focused on this case, she was much more susceptible to it but it may raise awareness of what caffeine overdoses can do (in anyone). People go over the limit, which is there for a reason, and it's way too easy to pass that limit.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by SpearMint
 


some countries have drastically different regulations on alcohol
so whats the difference between a 19 year old in canada and a 19 year old in the united states? or for that matter a 16 year old in palestine and a 16 year old in australia?

im sure you will be hard pressed to find a link between the legal age for alcohol and abuse or deaths related to alcohol


I don't see what differences in age limits have to do with anything, they both stop younger people buying it which reduces the amount of younger people abusing whatever has the age limit. I think 16 is too young, that's a completely different issue.
'
edit on 23-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)


and im saying it doesnt prevent abuse because in countries where it is lower you may find lower instances of abuse
take a look at the united states the age is 21 and you have extremely high instances of abuse among those of legal age AND minors
alcohol abuse (and most bad decisions people young or old make) among the young is not a legal issue it is a social issue
edit on 23-10-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by SpearMint
 


some countries have drastically different regulations on alcohol
so whats the difference between a 19 year old in canada and a 19 year old in the united states? or for that matter a 16 year old in palestine and a 16 year old in australia?

im sure you will be hard pressed to find a link between the legal age for alcohol and abuse or deaths related to alcohol


I don't see what differences in age limits have to do with anything, they both stop younger people buying it which reduces the amount of younger people abusing whatever has the age limit. I think 16 is too young, that's a completely different issue.
'
edit on 23-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)


and im saying it doesnt prevent abuse because in countries where it is lower you may find lower instances of abuse
take a look at the united states the age is 21 and you have extremely high instances of abuse among those of legal age AND minors
alcohol abuse (and most bad decisions people young or old make) among the young is not a legal issue it is a social issue
edit on 23-10-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)


But it doesn't mean anything unless you take away all restrictions and the abuse rate doesn't increase. Although there are differences, at least there some restriction which decreases abuse, there isn't with drugs like caffeine.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


if you were to adjust the numbers for the laws in each region they would still be significantly different from one to the other further illustrating that its a social issue and not a legal issue



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


One in ten is quite a lot, but large quantities of caffeine isn't just dangerous to people with this heart condition, a lot of caffeine is dangerous for anyone. People need to know how dangerous it can be and either cut down or completely stop drinking them like I did while I was still in school, fortunately quite early on.

either cut down or completely stop drinking them like I did while I was still in school, fortunately quite early on.

So basically you just want us to follow what you did? Is that why your attacking everyone who doesn't agree with some kind of ban/age limit?

" a lot of caffeine is dangerous for anyone."

is obviously false as many have written they drink way over the limit, my self included and are examples that large quantities IS NOT, dangerous for ANYONE,but really just certain people. 3-9x7 , 21/63 , 12/24 oz tall monsters a week and more on may gaming/smoking days ^^

"Can we stop the "I drink x and I'm fine" posts please, it doesn't mean anything. For the third time, people's toleration levels vary greatly. It doesn't matter if you can drink 50 cans a day, that doesn't go for everyone."

anyone does not apply to your statement as it clearly states people toleration will vary GREATLY.

I really don't understand you post now, I thought it was to just inform, but as I read on it seems you have an agenda, what is it? If its to place even more bans /restriction/regulation on us SCREW THAT, its called self responsibility,, do people with peanut allergies have a contest to see how many they can eat? Do they just by candy only with peanuts in it? No of course not, unless committing suicide or want to see if the epi pens work LOL. Seriously what's you angle cause its getting lost on me?



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by SpearMint
 


One in ten is quite a lot, but large quantities of caffeine isn't just dangerous to people with this heart condition, a lot of caffeine is dangerous for anyone. People need to know how dangerous it can be and either cut down or completely stop drinking them like I did while I was still in school, fortunately quite early on.

either cut down or completely stop drinking them like I did while I was still in school, fortunately quite early on.

So basically you just want us to follow what you did? Is that why your attacking everyone who doesn't agree with some kind of ban/age limit?

" a lot of caffeine is dangerous for anyone."

is obviously false as many have written they drink way over the limit, my self included and are examples that large quantities IS NOT, dangerous for ANYONE,but really just certain people. 3-9x7 , 21/63 , 12/24 oz tall monsters a week and more on may gaming/smoking days ^^

"Can we stop the "I drink x and I'm fine" posts please, it doesn't mean anything. For the third time, people's toleration levels vary greatly. It doesn't matter if you can drink 50 cans a day, that doesn't go for everyone."

anyone does not apply to your statement as it clearly states people toleration will vary GREATLY.

I really don't understand you post now, I thought it was to just inform, but as I read on it seems you have an agenda, what is it? If its to place even more bans /restriction/regulation on us SCREW THAT, its called self responsibility,, do people with peanut allergies have a contest to see how many they can eat? Do they just by candy only with peanuts in it? No of course not, unless committing suicide or want to see if the epi pens work LOL. Seriously what's you angle cause its getting lost on me?


No where did I suggest that everyone should do what I did, and no where did I attack anyone. Too much IS dangerous to anyone, but "too much" varies from person to person.

My "agenda" is to let people know a caffeine overdose is damaging to health and potentially life threatening. However people obviously have a hard time seeing that. Not exactly sure of what you're saying as a large portion of your post doesn't make sense, but you assume too much and I don't appreciate your false accusations.



posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint


No where did I suggest that everyone should do what I did, and no where did I attack anyone. Too much IS dangerous to anyone, but "too much" varies from person to person.


 


So is too much magnesium (muscle cramps) or vitamin d (toxicity), should you be ranting about that as well?

I should throw in salt too, since a number of foods are sold in single serving sizes with more than the recommended daily intake inside.
edit on 23-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)





new topics

top topics



 
15
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join