learn more

Girl dies after drinking an energy drink

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
I can barely drink a cup of black tea.. that's how sensitive I am to caffeine. I don't know how she consumed two energy drinks.

I partake in weekend drinking quite often and the shot of choice for many party-goers is Jaeger Bomb, O-Bomb, Vegas Bomb, Cherry Bomb.... you get the point.. When it ends in Bomb that means shot of hard liquor with equal parts (if not more) of red bull or monster (or whatever energy drink out there), lots of people abuse it with alcohol because it throws your body into a state of being hyper from the monster and then the alcohol brings you down, so your body doesn't know how to act... I've had many ____ Bombs shots in my day and they definitely play a trick on your mind and body...

But I do agree with Maneater, there should be an age limit on these drinks, I'm thinking 18 and older...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I used to drink those when i was driving a truck, 2 cans of Monster would make my heart palpitate, i thought i was having a heart attack once and i was only 28 at the time. When i started dating my wife, the final straw was when i drank a green monster and my pee came out green, the same color of the monster i drank and i quit drinking them after that. I figured if it comes out the same color it goes down then it's gotta be bad for you.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
The parents have no case. The company didn't force the girl to drink them and she chose to ignore the warning. It's sad that she died but the company isn't at fault here. If a person dies in a car wreck from driving too fast should the family sue the car company?

The parents of this child have a much more serious case than the lady who was awarded $2.9 milllion for McDonalds hot coffee on her lap.

Stella Liebeck had bought a 49-cent cup of coffee at the drive-in window of an Albuquerque McDonald's, and while removing the lid to add cream and sugar had spilled it, causing third-degree burns of the groin, inner thighs and buttocks. Her suit, filed in state court in Albuquerque, claimed the coffee was "defective" because it was so hot.

www.vanosteen.com...

BTW, people who drive recklessly get sued all the time.
edit on 22-10-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I haven't read this entire thread yet, but I will.
I just wanted to say that once while I was at a skate competition sponsored by Redbull, I drank about 17 within a couple of hours. Was totally fine, so I was always confused when hearing about people having health complications with one or two energy drinks.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
450 people a year die after falling out of bed in the USA.

That means beds are dangerous right?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
450 people a year die after falling out of bed in the USA.

That means beds are dangerous right?

Can we stop the ridiculous analogies please. A bed is not an unnecessary additive, you can't add less bed to your bed, it's not addictive and there isn't a maximum bed dose. Falling out of bed is an accident, drinking too much caffeine is not an accident.
edit on 22-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lurkenstein
I haven't read this entire thread yet, but I will.
I just wanted to say that once while I was at a skate competition sponsored by Redbull, I drank about 17 within a couple of hours. Was totally fine, so I was always confused when hearing about people having health complications with one or two energy drinks.

Red bull are a lot smaller and have a much lower dose, and people have different tolerance levels.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
oops double post

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
[I]reply to post by boncho

Who the hell drinks 1.5 litters of energy drinks anyway?

I drink this stuff like its water, 3-9 cans a day. ^^ still alive and well and I have a heart condition as well ta boot! HA, IM also an insomniac , so if IM going to be up all day/night id rather be WIDE awake haha stuff will give you diabetes, rotten teeth, heart problems, probably stomachs problems, and may even cause cancer, and guess what, 90% of life does anyways so just freaking live it!

Monster energy drink warning label:
consume responsibly-limit 2 cans per day. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN AND PREGNANT WOMAN OR PEOPLE SENSITIVE TO CAFFEINE.
*these statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration, this product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Is there a law with caffeine content, sure is
In the United States there is a limit of 65mg of caffeine per 12 liquid ounce in beverages. This may only be for carbonated beverages. (What we call coke here in the south and my northern friends like to call pop.) There is also a limit of 200mg in pills such as Vivrin.
FOOD AND DRUG
[Code of Federal Regulations][Title 21, Volume 3][Revised as of April 1, 2003]From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access[CITE: 21CFR182.1180][Page 462]
TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (CONTINUED) PART 182--SUBSTANCES GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS SAFE--Table of Contents Subpart B--Multiple Purpose GRAS Food Substances Sec. 182.1180 Caffeine. (a) Product. Caffeine. (b) Tolerance. 0.02 percent. (c) Limitations, restrictions, or explanation. This substance is generally recognized as safe when used in cola-type beverages in accordance with good manufacturing practice.

Now whether it different from state to state I don't know, I also can't find anything current as of 2003 but here is a break down of the drinks
Monster 160mg
Monster Absolutely Zero 135mg
Monster Assault 160mg
Monster Black Ice (slurpee) 43mg
Monster Cuba Lima 160mg
Monster Hammer X-presso 0mg
Monster Heavy Metal 160mg
Monster Hitman Sniper 240mg
Monster Import 184mg
Monster Import 76.25mg
Monster Khaos 160mg
Monster Lo-Carb 140mg
Monster M3 Energy Drink 160mg
Monster Mixxd Energy Drink 160mg
Monster Nitrous 160mg
Monster Nitrous Black Ice 135mg
Monster Original 160mg
Monster Rehab Energy Drink 170mg
Monster Ripper 160mg
Monster Ripper 160mg
Monster X-presso Hammer 90mg

Taken right from there own website go figa www.monsterenergy.com...

Now remember this in mgs, go in kitchen and get 160mg of baking powder out, its really not as much as you think, personally id like even more in them , but hey that's just me. Caffeine is a strong drug no doubt, take a spoonful of pure caffeine and almost guaranteed to have instant heart attack, my high school science teacher used to give us a hit( aka lick very tip of finger dip in container, lick off we were not shooting caffeine/sniffing hehe) of pure caffeine lab quality, before big tests if we wanted (private school heh)

first let me say IM sorry for her families loss,and its always tragic to lose someone so young but,
good luck silly parents, I hope they lose , lose bad, and then lose the house for trying this crap, you knew daughter had a problem, she's old enough to know she has a problem and drank something with basically speed in it and had warning labels on it and then died, go f ing figure. They have no case what so ever, but hey lets tie up the court systems with more BS claims. And then wonder why you have to jump through 40 million hoops to use a product or go to a venue to see a show, its idiots like these people.

p.s None of these are any where near "revive with vivrine 200mg per pill" I and friends would eat that crap like candy in grade school.i don't think I would have graduated from art/business school without the stuff, and espresso, and cappuccino, chocolate covered espresso beans etc etc
edit on 22-10-2012 by ~widowmaker~ because: add
edit on 22-10-2012 by ~widowmaker~ because: sp

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Hm.
She might have downed those huge monsters.
Lightweight though, i've had double that amount in my system (hah.., never again). Parents have no case, warning right on the can.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Well, a couple of things. Firstly, like I said before, everyone has a different tolerance level (although it's still very unhealthy for everyone). Secondly, how much x amount of something looks is completely irrelevant, it is a drug, and 480mg is A LOT. 160mg of cyanide doesn't look like a lot, but it can kill a 106kg man.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Well, a couple of things. Firstly, like I said before, everyone has a different tolerance level (although it's still very unhealthy for everyone). Secondly, how much x amount of something looks is completely irrelevant, it is a drug, and 480mg is A LOT. 160mg of cyanide doesn't look like a lot, but it can kill a 106kg man.

Yes but it would take 20 grams of caffeine to do the same, or 20,000mgs.

That's about 50 to 100 of those drinks (depending on if the previous information you linked is correct, as another poster just posted caffeine limits).

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Yes but it would take 20 grams of caffeine to do the same, or 20,000mgs.

That's about 50 to 100 of those drinks (depending on if the previous information you linked is correct, as another poster just posted caffeine limits).

No, 3 - 20g for a healthy person, it varies greatly. People with minor heart conditions are much more in danger.

And by the way 3-20g is a LETHAL dose, you can have serious problems before then.

I was just using cyanide to prove that how much something looks doesn't matter.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I drink a 12oz can of sugarless redbull almost 6 days, if not 7, out of the week and I'm still standing.. pssh must not be able to handle bezerk mode

I'm sorry a death occurred though but the can does say do not drink more than two in a day so.. In this case I hope the only thing they win out of this is a strong lesson in reading.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo
I drink a 12oz can of sugarless redbull almost 6 days, if not 7, out of the week and I'm still standing.. pssh must not be able to handle bezerk mode

I'm sorry a death occurred though but the can does say do not drink more than two in a day so.. In this case I hope the only thing they win out of this is a strong lesson in reading.

Can we stop the "I drink x and I'm fine" posts please, it doesn't mean anything. For the third time, people's toleration levels vary greatly. It doesn't matter if you can drink 50 cans a day, that doesn't go for everyone.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

No, 3 - 20g for a healthy person, it varies greatly. People with minor heart conditions are much more in danger.

If you have a heart condition, you need to be aware of what you are consuming. The girl could have just as easily had the same thing happen from 4 to 5 cups of coffee. Your original source was wrong, there was not 480mg per can. It was quoting both cans, which would mean 240mg per can.

Lawyers said the two 700ml cans of Monster Energy consumed by Anais Fournier in the 24 hours before her fatal cardiac arrest in December last year contained as much caffeine - 480 milligrams

Read more: www.smh.com.au...

Another link

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Originally posted by lyons666
Even more reason the drinks should be regulated. She was 14 and apparently did not have the maturity needed to realize exactly what she was ingesting and the possible consequences. That is why cigarettes and alcohol are not for "under 21".
She either was trying to kill herself or did not realize what she ingesting and consequences of it due to her heart condition. That is my opinion.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
edit on 22-10-2012 by natalia because: Not even worth my time!!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Can we stop the "I drink x and I'm fine" posts please, it doesn't mean anything. For the third time, people's toleration levels vary greatly. It doesn't matter if you can drink 50 cans a day, that doesn't go for everyone.

Oh don't get your panties in a bunch I was only kidding, and wrong.. you couldn't drink 50 cans in a day and be 'fine'.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

In my day we called that natural selection.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution