It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl dies after drinking an energy drink

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The family of a 14-year-old Maryland girl who died of cardiac arrest after drinking two cans of Monster Energy, is suing the company. Each 0.7 liter can of Monster Energy contains 480 milligrams of caffeine, or the equivalent of 14 cans of Coca-Cola. Unlike for sodas, there are no laws regulating how much caffeine can go into energy drinks. Anais Fournier reportedly had what is usually a harmless heart condition, called mitral valve prolapse, which is common in as many as one in 10 people.

news.discovery.com

Unfortunately it was only a matter of time before this happened, and to be honest I'm surprised it's not more common. This energy drink craze that's mainly taken over a large percentage of high school students really needs to stop. People are unaware how dangerous large doses of caffeine can be and often drink quite a lot of this stuff every day, it doesn't serve a real purpose, it's just a craze that's being taken advantage of by the companies producing them. It seems that every time I see the cans in the shop they have gotten bigger. Personally I don't think they should be on the shelves, or they should have a much smaller caffeine content and come in sensibly sized cans at the very least.

One in ten is quite a lot, but large quantities of caffeine isn't just dangerous to people with this heart condition, a lot of caffeine is dangerous for anyone. People need to know how dangerous it can be and either cut down or completely stop drinking them like I did while I was still in school, fortunately quite early on.

I believe they do have a warning on the can telling people not to drink more than one can a day (or two on the smaller ones), but it should be made a lot clearer to both students and their parents.

I've focused on students because it is mainly students that drink them, but a lot of adults do as well.

For comparison, one can (480mg of caffeine) is equal to about 8-10 cups of coffee (varies), 14 cans of coke or 4.8 caffeine tablets.

Edit: Just for the record, I am not denying that she should have known better.
edit on 22-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Last time I checked, there was a warning label on the Energy drinks saying that people should only drink a can a day. I wonder if the parents can still sue them or not, especially since she didn't follow the warning label since she drank two that day.

I could be wrong, I normally drink the blue NOZ if I ever decide to have an energy drink and that's what the warning label says on those drinks.

Poor girl, I hope she rests in peace.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The parents have no case. The company didn't force the girl to drink them and she chose to ignore the warning. It's sad that she died but the company isn't at fault here. If a person dies in a car wreck from driving too fast should the family sue the car company?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Caffeine is definitely an addictive drug. When I decided to go off caffeine, i had a massive headache for a couple of days. Then things were fine.

Caffeine, in any amount, can exacerbate problems with tension and stress....this is why I quit drinking it. And so many things have caffeine in them; like chocolate.

Thanks for posting this. I did not realize how much caffeine was in one of those drinks. s&F

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Thats really sad for her family. I won't let my son drink caffeine yet,he's 7 though. I just don't think it's very healthy.

I stopped drinking caffeine because it was making my anxiety worse. Water and juice please....oh and my favorite is orange soda.

Anyways I hate that her family is having to deal with their girl having a heart attack,that is so young.

And another thing,I know it's a craze but it's seems like kids have more energy so why do they need an energy drink??!! I see the high school kids at walgreens in the morning a lot buying energy drinks-I do believe they should have an age limit on who buys them,but then again I've seen a parent buying their child of maybe 12 a red bull,it saddened me.
Sorry about all the thumbs up and a wink-I can't figure out how to remove those

S&F for the info. on how much caffeine is in one of those energy drinks.

edit on 22-10-2012 by natalia because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2012 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
The parents have no case. The company didn't force the girl to drink them and she chose to ignore the warning. It's sad that she died but the company isn't at fault here. If a person dies in a car wreck from driving too fast should the family sue the car company?

I don't think they'll win either, because of the small warning on the back buried amongst the ingredients list and whatever else is there. It's still wrong that these companies produce such a potentially dangerous drink though.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
That stuff rots your teeth worse than soda too.

I'll stick with my coffee. Coffee, coffee, coffee.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I'm not sure that killing yourself by driving too fast and killing yourself by drinking 2 cans of high energy drink are quite analogous.

She was also only a girl of 14. I imagine that if the drink manufacturer knew or should have know that this aggravated a common condition that can lead to fatalities, the family may well have a case.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Caffeine is definitely an addictive drug. When I decided to go off caffeine, i had a massive headache for a couple of days. Then things were fine.

Caffeine, in any amount, can exacerbate problems with tension and stress....this is why I quit drinking it. And so many things have caffeine in them; like chocolate.

Thanks for posting this. I did not realize how much caffeine was in one of those drinks. s&F

Forgot to mention that. I get withdrawal headaches as well, so I only have a coke every now and again, maybe a coffee. It's certainly very addictive which is probably a large part of the problem.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
She knows she has a heart condition and she drank two Monster drinks?

I think there if she felt the need to drink more then one, there maybe more going on here.

But the cans say to not drink more then one a day.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Mitral valve prolapse causes very rapid and dangerous heart rates called arrhythmia - usually paroxysmal atrial tachycardia or supraventricular tachycardia. These are dangerous enough on their own, but they can lead to ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation -and, cardiac arrest.

Any stimulant can effect this condition, including things most people would not think of, such as coffee, tea, alcohol, or even over the counter cold medications.

Anyone diagnosed with this condition would be told that there are potential dangers, including the possibility of cardiac arrest, and each case would be weighed upon its own merits as to severity. Some have this problem and never realize it... others can exhibit extreme and fatal symptoms. Often without prior warning.

~Heff

ETA: Thus anyone diagnosed with this condition would be told to avoid such things. In some cases, sadly, the first event from arrhythmic disorders can be fatal and diagnoses only happens posthumously.
edit on 10/22/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

I think there if she felt the need to drink more then one, there maybe more going on here.

The can also says not to drink it AT ALL if you're sensitive to caffeine

According to the warning, this girl shouldn't have had a tablespoon of it
edit on 22-10-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Mitral valve prolapse causes very rapid and dangerous heart rates called arrhythmia - usually paroxysmal atrial tachycardia or supraventricular tachycardia. These are dangerous enough on their own, but they can lead to ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation -and, cardiac arrest.

Any stimulant can effect this condition, including things most people would not think of, such as coffee, tea, alcohol, or even over the counter cold medications.

Anyone diagnosed with this condition would be told that there are potential dangers, including the possibility of cardiac arrest, and each case would be weighed upon its own merits as to severity. Some have this problem and never realize it... others can exhibit extreme and fatal symptoms. Often without prior warning.

~Heff

This is true, but it's still a dangerous (and unnecessary) amount of caffeine. Less than two cans of this can potentially cause abnormal heart rhythms in a healthy adult.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Originally posted by nixie_nox

The can also says not to drink it AT ALL if you're sensitive to caffeine

According to the warning, this girl shouldn't have had a tablespoon of it
edit on 22-10-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

It actually says "not recommended". The warning needs to be made much more obvious too.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

I don't think they'll win either, because of the small warning on the back buried amongst the ingredients list and whatever else is there. It's still wrong that these companies produce such a potentially dangerous drink though.

Chicken wings are potentially dangerous if you choke on them, and peanut butter is if you have allergies to it. Banning it or making a stink about this is stupid.

When I was a kid, I was allowed some stuff and not allowed others. I ate certain things not because I had to, but because my parents used mental tricks to make me think some were better. Therefore I didn't even realize until later I wasn't "allowed" some things, just had damn crafty parents that tricked me into not wanting it.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I can barely drink a cup of black tea.. that's how sensitive I am to caffeine. I don't know how she consumed two energy drinks.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There should be age limit on the drink, children don't need monster drinks. Especially 14 year olds.
RIP little one.
edit on 22-10-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by SpearMint

Chicken wings are potentially dangerous if you choke on them, and peanut butter is if you have allergies to it. Banning it or making a stink about this is stupid.

When I was a kid, I was allowed some stuff and not allowed others. I ate certain things not because I had to, but because my parents used mental tricks to make me think some were better. Therefore I didn't even realize until later I wasn't "allowed" some things, just had damn crafty parents that tricked me into not wanting it.

Chicken bones aren't an additive and are not addictive, you're also not meant to eat them, it's a lot different.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Wow!

I've just started a fairly heavy job and had taken to drinking a couple of these at work to keep me more alert but I think now I'll give them a miss. They do work for a very slight lift but now I know it's not worth it at all! Thanks for sharing OP.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

The ld50 is extremely high. If people have a heart condition, they should avoid it. Simple as that.

Extreme overdose can result in death.[63][64] The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally, is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats. The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on individual sensitivity, but is estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass or roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult.[4]

This figure from the OP is also incorrect by the way. Or at least kind of misrepresenting.

For comparison, one can (480mg of caffeine) is equal to about 8-10 cups of coffee or 14 cans of coke.
en.wikipedia.org...

Below is caffeine per litre, (on the far right of each column). The one from the OP is about 620mg/litre.

Coffee, espresso 44–60 mL (1.5–2.0 US fl oz) 100 1,691–2,254
Tea – black, green, and other types, – steeped for 3 min. 177 millilitres (6.0 US fl oz) 22–74[76][77] 124–416
Guayakí yerba mate (loose leaf) 6 g (200 US fl oz) 85[78] approx. 358
Coca-Cola Classic 355 mL (12.0 US fl oz) 34 96
Mountain Dew 355 mL (12.0 US fl oz) 54 154
Guaraná Antarctica 350 mL (12 US fl oz) 30 100
Jolt Cola 695 mL (23.5 US fl oz) 280 403
Red Bull 250 mL (8.5 US fl oz) 80 320

Who the hell drinks 1.5 litres of energy drinks anyway?

edit on 22-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join