It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The joyful joys of Job Seekers allowance just got more joyful in the UK

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Double post

edit on 28-10-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JeZeus

I think your faith in labour is misplaced. It is worth remembering it was New Labour who brought in the ATOS testing for the disabled and the workfare scheme began under labour. It was also labour who got this country into the financial mess, with it's deregulation of the banking industry. They also took us into two wars, that we continue to pay for. They are also responsible for the PFi hospitals that are now facing so much trouble. As much as I hate the Torries. It is the labour party, the party that was meant to represent the working class who has done the most recent damage. The labour party stopped being a Labour party the day Tony Blair took over and became New Labour.

All the parties are the same now. They all follow the austerity agenda. No one has an alternative. No one is brave enough to challenge the status quo.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by JeZeus

I think your faith in labour is misplaced. It is worth remembering it was New Labour who brought in the ATOS testing for the disabled and the workfare scheme began under labour. It was also labour who got this country into the financial mess, with it's deregulation of the banking industry. They also took us into two wars, that we continue to pay for. They are also responsible for the PFi hospitals that are now facing so much trouble. As much as I hate the Torries. It is the labour party, the party that was meant to represent the working class who has done the most recent damage. The labour party stopped being a Labour party the day Tony Blair took over and became New Labour.

All the parties are the same now. They all follow the austerity agenda. No one has an alternative. No one is brave enough to challenge the status quo.

I know , trust me , but Labour are the lesser of two evils.

Blair and Brown messed up the economy , and took us into illegal wars - making war criminals out of every tax payer in the United Kingdom , and playing along with the new world order.

But labour had run the country for over a decade and in that time we had a navy , we had an army , and we had a backbone on the world "stage". Labour put food on my families tables by letting us work and live with a bit of dignity , the tories have never liked the idea of that since they look down on anyone who doesnt earn a minimum of 500,000 a year.

Then there`s the unions - frowned upon by many but they try to keep you protected from dodgey governments like the con-dem clowns. And labour tend to attempt to hear them out since it is mostly the opinions of the working class.

So i understand that they`re the same party giving the illusion of choice , but when it comes to the NHS , pensions , elderly care , employment , defence , the working class , and the economy - labour have a better track record.

This has gone too far , we`re now at the point where we have no choice but to fight fire with fire - too many people are comfortable aslong as they`ve got tv and shelter , so they wont listen until the EU police forces are smashing the streets up and beating thier families on british streets.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by Sinny

Well can you go to your bosses and tell them that we would like support when finding new places to live (I have no cash to buy/rent, or should I be living homeless so I can work and pay taxes?) 20 hours is not sustainable for a long period of time, jobs are not infinite which a lot of people seem to think is the case (again we can't all move where ever we like).

Got to add about 50% of the time it's not how good you are at a job it's how you get along with the other employees.
edit on 27-10-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

Instead of me telling MY bosses, why don't YOU tell your local councillor?
I've battled homlessness since the age of 14 (21 now)... And I've had to find full time work whilst going from sofa to sofa. I've now been renting a *room* for the last 4 months - the most stability I've had.

So in my opinion, save your sob story.

As for there being limited work out there - I agree. When I was job seeking I struggled to find 5 jobs a day to apply for, however, at the moment my cousin is job seeking, and has managed to average about 15 applications a day - that consumes her WHOLE day.

So, once again, I suggest you re-evalute the blame game.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by lifeform11

I don't drive myself, I am currently learning however.

I use buses and trains to get to where I need to be, as do a lot of car drivers for that matter. Public transport is quite good in the UK and if you buy season tickets or tickets in advance, quite good value when compared with the cost of driving.

done it before myself, but i have also lost jobs from trying to do it to. years ago i found a job in another city i had been unemployed don't drive so had to use public transport, walking was not an option, unless i walked down a very busy motorway for miles there and back in which case the police would have had something to say about it.

anyway i got the job and informed the job center they stopped my money and i started work, due to being unemployed there were no savings so we were living of what ever was left over from the job center money and to pay for my travel, the job was monthly pay, which meant i had to work until the next pay day which was three weeks away i knew we were not going to have enough money to last until then. so i went down to the job center to explain this and to see if they could help me out until i got my first wage packet and then pay it back once i did. their answer was no, they cannot help because i have a job.

another time i took a very low paid job, but as long as we could claim child tax credits it would make it enough to live off, so i took the job and put in the claim for child and working tax credit (this was before they separated children's money from job seekers allowance or what ever it was called then). My wages was enough for one of two things, either to buy the food shopping to eat or pay the rent, hence why i needed to claim child tax credits.
obviously with mouths to feed we opted to buy the food and pay the rent once the claim had gone through and we had been backdated. the problem however is it took them that long to sort out the claim even with me pleading with them that the situation was desperate that we got evicted.

it is not as simple as you seem to think.

the only way to do it if you don't own your own transport is to have a family member living in the city you want to go to or save for months and months and set everything up before moving to the city. getting a job in another city without moving there first is not always possible as unemployed people don't have a lot of money and the travel is more expensive. and moving there first would entail saving money and planning and sorting everything out first.

there are times where i have done it and it worked and times where i tried and it didn't, the only times it has ever worked is where i moved in with a family member first or had money saved to get to the first payday unhindered.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Having decided to take your advice and go back through the Thread and re-read your posts, I find that I have no regrets about 'butting in' to your off topic posts. This Thread is not about your hatred of your neighbours nor is it about your material circumstances. It is about the Welfare Reform Act and how the changes are impacting on real people's real lives.

Not being sure why anyone would want to derail so important a topic, I did what I often do when I come across this type of posting behaviour and I added some on topic information with links etc. Here's more:

New homeless rules a 'profound and astonishing' shift in housing policy

From 9 November, the responsibility of councils to homeless households will change. Why has nobody noticed?

www.guardian.co.uk...

Originally posted by JeZeus
Look mate , i`m trying not to be offencive but you`re testing me with these ignorant posts , i`m going to have to ask you politley , will you please refrain from being aggresive / insulting in your posts , i dont agree with it and i will inform a mod of your behavior if you do not tone it down a little .

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for this Thread JeZeus. Here is a link to a blog by someone who works in the housing/homeless sector. I hope you find it useful in keeping up to date with the changes.

speye.wordpress.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

thanks for the links. the lower link is a real eye opener especially parliamentary pickles misleading the government and glc with dubious figures.
this formula will produce massive profits for travelodge once the eviction process kicks in.

and as woodwardjnr stated (not directed at you teapot), the atos invasion/welfare overhaul was initiated by the 'buy now, pay later' labour party. somehow i suspect this was all agreed upon prior to transfer of undertakings.
tupperware party anyone?
f.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

This is what you said

Originally posted by teapot
reply to post by wmd_2008

How are the unemployed responsible for your low wages?

Care to show me and everyone else where I said that, I am not trying to derail the thread, I responed to this comment.

Originally posted by robbo961
Everyone who has used the benefit system will know what a head f**k it is. Anyone who thinks it's an easy option is misinformed. There are no long term claimants with flat screen TV's living the life of Riley. That's a myth.

That's why I gave that couple as an example UNLIKE YOU I didn't LIE! or is it your comprehension is not what it should be?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Welfare Reform Act 2012, changes due before the end of the year:

Autumn/Winter 2012

New payment system will replace benefits cheques

A new 'Simple Payment' service will be introduced to replace the benefit cheques system for claimants who can't be paid by direct payment (link opens in a new window) because they are unable to open or manage bank or Post Office card accounts.

Under the new system, claimants will be issued with a reusable 'Simple Payment' card so that they can receive their benefits at 'PayPoint' outlets located in local newsagents, convenience stores, supermarkets, garages and off licences.

Arrangements have been put in place for people who need someone else, such as a partner or relative, to collect their benefit for them. Either the claimant's card or an additional card can be used.

Those affected will receive a welcome pack with full details.

www.turn2us.org.uk...

The site provides a timetable for all the changes due.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
more dirt on the atos invasion/welfare overhaul!

it seems atos had been telling lies when tendering for the medical assessment contract. the article below sets out how they secured the government contract by including the name of an organisation that actually acts on behalf of it's users unlike the profit devouring perpetual money machine that bolted itself to the floor of the commons/other place!

my fantasy outcome: all atos staff come down with long term runs,exhaust all available generous atos benefits,cannot work and require assessment for work-based capability.

anyhoo linky to article
www.guardian.co.uk...

f.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
screw it
edit on 5-11-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Meh, when the ones making the rules are the most corrupt of all, its time for a different game.
That, however, requires social evolution on a global scale - and we are good few big wars away from that yet .....
Gonna get worse before it gets better.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
am i the only one who thinks cody is a troll?

you know JSA was a joke right always was always will be tbh money is a joke but thats my thoughts there

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I would like to apply a site that personally helped me in at least identifying my woes of this modern societal pressure we all face without a fed at our personal disposal.'

Whywork.com this site is dead but offers much wisdom.

What happenedd to it is what I would call a modern dilema of folks who are relatively smart in terms of the loose market society who decided they would like to approach it as such and even ignore it altogether.

Well reality caught up and the owner/owners are presumably working for a living one way or the other both to their credit and to societies in one way or another.

In any case they can clarify some things for some of you.

Most of us have this issue where we wanna be part of something special or at least beneficial to us to an obscene degree.

How far will that affect all of us?

edit on 11-11-2012 by tekeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
More joy!

LTB = 'Lying thieving b******s': BBC documentary lifts the lid on offensive code used to describe disabled and jobless

A documentary (last night's Panorama: The Great Disability Scam? BBC 1: available in the UK via the BBC iPlayer) investigation into one of the firms responsible for delivering the Government's £5bn Work Programme claims to have found evidence of staff using an 'offensive' code to describe disabled and jobless people.

Clients of Triage, a key player in the Government's plan to pay private companies to move people from benefit into work, were referred to as 'LTB' - code for "lying, thieving bastards", a former employee alleges.

Linda Smith, who worked for Triage, which operates in Scotland and the north of England, told the BBC that the term was used to describe jobless and disabled clients, and that the company used a practice known as 'parking' to keep disabled people on their books.

Blessed be the whistleblowers, for they shall be set free!

Mrs Smith said that under the scheme firms can earn more money from taking on the disabled people as clients, but that once they are on the company's books staff are told to spend as little time as possible helping them find work.

"They would be put on telephone interviews... just to make sure that there was this contact made so they could tick a box to say, 'Yeah, they're still on the Work Programme'," Mrs Smith said.

The BBC claims that four other former Triage employees confirmed the use of the LTB code and told the BBC similar stories about clients on their books being 'parked'.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfDragon24
am i the only one who thinks cody is a troll?

you know JSA was a joke right always was always will be tbh money is a joke but thats my thoughts there

Just you then

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Furniture maker lol..

What a waste.

As for the JSA, unless they are also willing to do something about women with 6 kids living on benefits all their lives, they should leave JSA alone.
edit on 30-1-2013 by dmsuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Despite all the negativity, I would say in all fairness if you have built up more than enough contributions, any time ive signed on they pretty much just leave me alone until I find another job. Never had any hassle of those job center people. Just walk in get her to sign me book, she asks been looking for a job?, yip I use the internet for that, and then on my way.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Been considering going on jsa, tough time getting a job, applied for 6 or 7 now in the past week, time spent filling out application forms, searching and covering letters. My situation is not dire as others, a home, mortage paid, falling apart in places. Which is the intention of the jsa money to get some repairs done, help with travel money as i have started to look further now for work as this town is just not working.
Second thoughts though about jsa, i don't mind being given work, as long as I have chance to apply properly, would earn more working than claiming hopefully.

Not everyone is bumming off the state, lots of things affect different people, under qualified, no experience, no license, location sucks. Then you do have those doing nothing being useless.
The current government is messing around. Most politicians have always had it easy, detached from reality, with swank dinners with bosses, owning countless properties and interests gained which will serve them after retirement.
Honest people are being hit hard a bit more often, who already struggle. Our lives may not be as bad as some places, but it could do for many, if things begin to slide again.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by eniar

Well put.
Also it gets hard to even get an interview once you are over a certain age. Thats why a lot of older people work part-time, only work they can get.
Evidently they are going to be hauled in, and told off for not working full-time.
The rich get rich and the poor get poorer. There's a song in there somewhere I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join