It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Breakthrough yet in world's oldest undeciphered writing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

The world's oldest undeciphered writing system, which has so far defied attempts to uncover its 5,000-year-old secrets, could be about to be decoded by Oxford University academics.

This international research project is already casting light on a lost bronze age middle eastern society where enslaved workers lived on rations close to the starvation level. "I think we are finally on the point of making a breakthrough," says Jacob Dahl, fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford and director of the Ancient World Research Cluster.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 22/10/12 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
Breakthrough in world's oldest undeciphered writing

As always, the headline is a sensationalist lie.
No breakthrough has occurred.

The story merely says they're taking images with a new camera, and will put the photos online.
Yay.

...could be about to be decoded...

Gets my prize for most vague wishy washy statement of the week.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You're right it is sensationalist headline. So I've changed it.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
there is no 'break through' at all!
the guy actually admits he is stumped,and is shining a lot of lights on this rock,and hopes someone on line can help him decipher it!!!
i looked at it and i come to the conclusion that some dude traded a donkey to another dude so he could have sex with his daughter,3500 years ago!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

There's some obvious cuneiform but the rest of it is a complete mystery to me.

I hope someone does figure it out. Something like this requires a reference of some kind with a broader representation of the syntax. A Rosetta Stone.

Unless something like that pops up, I dont hold hope for its deciphering.
edit on 22-10-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I like the idea of posting the new images online. Isnt that we often ask for here on ATS, more transparency? In this way I do see somewhat of a breakthrough. If the headline is misleading and an attention grabber then it falls in a long line of many an other similar headline

Codes and cyphers have never been a strong point for me I wonder how this could ever be decided if there is no reference to any known language?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Looks extremely fake. Out of the weater or not there would be some sign of age. Way way way too smooth.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ringlejames

Looks extremely fake. Out of the weater or not there would be some sign of age. Way way way too smooth.

So what are your credentials?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

There are similaraties in the numerical system to the Proto-cuneiform of Uruk, but interestingly it is considered that both systems may have had an entirely unknown to us precursor, ie both systems developed around 3,200Bc from an unknown common source.

This is the state of play for Proto-Elamite;

www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de...

edit on 22-10-2012 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

Thanks for the PDF Kantzveldt

Unless a rosetta stone type document is found deciphering this unknown language will be tough. The multipe counting systems has always been interesting and some speculate it may have come about from one culture conquering another, and the two systems combining.

The tokens are the key, they have been found going back to over 8,500 BC and were also the basis for the Sumerian writing

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ringlejames

Almost all clay tablets are found in the ruins of cities where they were kept in 'libraries', often times that library was burned down, destroyed in an earthquake or otherwise the tablets were preserved. Baked clay is like pottery,very resistent to destruction.

top topics

join