It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving with mans best friend!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Hello all, i read the boards often but seldom do i post. Now i guess to most people on this board its no stretch of the imagination that bad things can and do happen, in those bad scenarios (war, famine, global catastrophe, NWA etc) we all want our loved ones to survive.. This includes our four legged friends. Now we all have our own survival plans, for me in the case of a extreme scenario (Huge war, Catastrophe that would leave urban environments unsafe/ or warzone, destruction of instructor) i would head north, being as i live in Ontario most people of the world dont realize what a great portion of our province has no road access. once up there a hike for a few days to stay much of the grid and set up shop. Hobbit hole type shelters, fishing small game hunting major sources of protein, as much root veggies you can grow, and try to wait out the world.. I have experimented with stuff over the last couple years from trap making (dead falls, snares), making bows, become excellent at fishing, done gardens, fire cooking meat drying, and shelter building. I also took liberty of copying and laminating lots of medical and survival books and put them in small waterproof binders, lists of plants and uses, books on herbal medicine and all sorts of first aid.

I figure i have greatly increased my chances, especially having waterproof hardcopies of all the materials i learned from in the survival bag. I also am a big fan of PPE and find in the bush makes a huge difference (can really save from gashs etc that can be deadly).

Here is my problem though, what do i do with my canine friend.. Do you think having a dog would increase of decrease your chance of survival? Would it be a risk on that off chance in some way some one hears the bark in the distance and hunts you out? or would having the help on hunting and protection be enough to warrant it?

A little about her, shes 11 months old, athletic as all hell, shes a cross breed between a Presa Canario and a Rottweiler. Shes athletic as all hell, 26 1/2 inches tall at the shoulder 105lbs.. She has a good chase drive and is fairly well disciplined, she waits when told and chases when told. although i have never let her get to a animal for obvious reasons. The problem is she does tend to be vocal and uses that powerful voice to flush out animals.

What do you guys think?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
hi op

Leave your canine friend with elderly and disabled that everyone seems to forget during a SHTF scenario

Honestly no matter how many survival threads thats read on here
everyone forgets the elderly and disabled

Leave the future scenario to sci-fi writers and dreamers
edit on 22-10-2012 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

Edit:
Sorry meant to add, welcome to ATS
edit on 22-10-2012 by davesmart because: added

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I don’t think it’d really matter. If they wanted you, they’d find you with their satellites whether you had a dog or not. Unless you never light, cook and stay warm by a fire. They’d spot the smoke well before they’d hear your dog. I don’t think such a scenario would take place anyway. Throughout history all empires, no matter how mighty and powerful they thought they were at the time, have fallen. There’ll be nothing different here, in the end. They won’t win. If they do, they won’t be left standing either.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Dont really have any elderly or disabled relatives, and thats another thing she is not good with strangers, most people are not too familiar with presa canarios its not the dog for everyone especially some one disabled or elderly. Plus she literally follows me everywhere.. Its not so much that they want me, thats not realistic, its more like look at katrina, now imagine on a big scale, i dont want me family near civilization when it ceases to be "civilized" all big towns and cities will turn in to hell.
edit on 22-10-2012 by ki9090 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ki9090

I would keep my dog by my side. He is an excellent hunter so I would have an extra resource for acquiring fresh meat. Even now he brings me rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, once even a small wild hog. He is also an excellent protector; all I have to do is say "Git 'em!" and he's on whoever I point at like stink on- well, you know.

As far as barking goes once a dog starts barking someone is already near enough to know where you are. If it concerns you you could always get a muzzle. I think that by muzzling a dog you are stifling their protective abilities, but if you fear the dog's bark giving you away it's a consideration. I would rather my dog have my back.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ki9090

Unless she's trained extremely well and basically won't bark, I don't see much of any benefit of keeping her with you. You should definitely get rid of her somehow, and I'll leave that to your discretion.

A side note however... My cats will never leave my side!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Welcome fellow Ontarian !! I'm in the nations capital but I'm high tailing it up in Quebec when times get rough !! For me a dog is a definite asset ! I doubt very much that hordes of troops will be scowering the forests looking for people anyway , especially where I will be ! I have a Jack Russell who is an amazing small game hunter ! And as far as protection when I'm sleeping no one can come near me cause he is very protective and growls even if its my wife trying to wake me ! He's very quiet , he only barks once to alert us if someone knocks at the door . And if your in the bush by yourself it's great to have a good buddy with You !

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Some Native American tribes kept dogs as a source of protein. If game wasn't plentiful and the people started getting hungry, it made sense to stop feeding the dogs and have the dogs feed the people.
edit on 22-10-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Edit for Clairity

Edit to add; some tribes preferred dog meat over other abundant and easy to access protein sources like salmon during a run.
edit on 22-10-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ki9090

Dogs would not be with us today if they were not a help in survival. While many of today's purebred breeds may have lost some of those traits that made dogs useful a healthy working dog is going to find a way to make itself useful. The inheirent trust and compainonship a dog offers, by itself, is enough to offer it a place at your side. I have no doubt that the obvious genetic predisposition for the love of dogs is a direct result of the dogs usefulness in surviving a world as our ancestors did for millennia

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Many good points made but to me the biggest one seems forgotten - what and how are you going to feed a dog of that size?
If you can feed it keep it, if you can't then you're just destroying both your chances at surviving.
I would suggest doing a survival outing and see if you can keep feed you both for a week.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I would definetly take my Golden Retreiver, he is an excellent hunter, tracker, guard dog, he catches squirrels, small game. ect....
But if it comes to small lap dogs and dogs that really have no ability to help you survive, then I would consider them Food, I know its pretty damn sick to say that, but if your going to survive, meat is meat. I love dogs and hope we never have to be in a situation where I would consider a dog food, but tough times like a SHTF scenario, then all rules are out the door, and survival is the name of the game.
edit on 22-10-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Keep the dog with you. For the reasons mentioned by posters above, plus one main reason:

Your sanity, companionship, peace-of-mind in the moments of down-time during a potentially harrowing period of your life.

As your OP title suggest, they don;t call these wonderful animals "man's best friend" for nothing.

They'll never judge you, criticize, second-guess, or abandon you.

They can see and hear things much better then you can -and let you get some needed shut-eye now and then.

They can keep you warm if a fire is not practical or safe.

Bottom line: in most situations (but not all), I'd say the benefits greatly outweigh the risks.

Top on my list is this: Weeks or months into a survival campaign, when the SHTF and the world has gone to hell, you're going to feel moments of depression, stress, maybe panic attacks, desperation, loss, loneliness, etc. It is times like this, when I may feel lost, alone, and approaching hopelessness, that I'll notice my adoring companion gazing into my eyes, instantly ready to play, protect, run, rest, or just contemplate. He (or she) is right there with me. For me. I and I am for him (or her) as well... My dog will give me hope, keep me going, encourage me to press on, -to survive!

Disclaimer: I breed and keep pure-white German Shepherds, bred for large size, temperament, high intelligence. I know white is not the best color - but I can camo them if needed, and in the meantime, they are beautiful, strong, fiercely loyal, and crazy-smart. [but I would take any well-trained breed with me on survival - with the exception of one of those tiny lapper/yapper types...]

A couple of shameless plugs:

p.s. There's a good reason why all police departments, military, search-and-rescue teams, etc. around the world use these dogs...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Given that it's a dog that can hold it's own then I consider it a big plus. You could potentially use your four legged friend for advance notice of any hostiles, hunting, companionship, protection -- the list goes on, really. Don't let the SHTF without man's best friend!!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Your totoally missing out. Large breed dogs can pack gear with harnesses and proper packs designed for dogs. Muzzles will allow them to growl instead of bark to alert you to danger. Dogs flush out birds and small game as well as deer and keep bears away. Dried meat from your game can feed both of you. You always want to dry your meat to preserve it and to lighten it up to pack it. If you going to have a dog in these times then make plans for it when SHTF also. If you know ahead of time that they will be left behing and have no other options then do the right thing and put them to sleep humainely. Look what happened to all the Katrina dogs. Some were left tied up in backyards only to drown and locked in houses only to suffer the same fate. Your dog leaves when you leave or don't have one. Anybody that leaves their dog behind is a looser.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Go to a trainer to learn how to teach her NOT to bark on command (?). To be quiet/still.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

Depending on the breed, dogs are relatively easy to train to bark on command, growl on command, and remain absolutely still and silent on command.

I train my shepherds to do these things from a very young age, and, more importantly, to do them with both verbal commands (when they can hear me but can't see me), and with hand signals (when they can see me but silence is required).

BTW - this is a fun and easy thing to train. Just make a game out of the training, and they will think it's playtime. Always reward good response and behavior - never scold, hit or threaten for an unfavorable response.

The dogs will soon try hard to please you and consider it a fun exercise. By the time they're 12 months of age, most 'smart', controllable breeds will be well-behaved, loyal, companions.

The coolest thing is, that if you're lucky enough to get through withOUT the SHTF - you're still left with a great buddy (or two) that was a load of fun and always had your back to boot...

Carry on.

new topics

top topics

join