It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmers blamed for deadly quake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Farmers blamed for deadly quake

www.news.com.au

FARMERS drilling wells to water their crops likely contributed to a deadly earthquake in southern Spain last year.
The findings, published in a new study, may add to concerns about the effects of new energy extraction and waste disposal technologies.
Nine people died and nearly 300 were injured when an unusually shallow magnitude-5.1 quake hit the town of Lorca on May 11, 2011. It was the country's worst quake in more than 50 years, causing millions of euros in damage to a region with an already fragile economy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
So finally we see some truth about the destruction that is being done to our planet by unsustainable practices. Admittedly, an earthquake was likely to happen at some time in this area any way, however, acknowledging that wells have contributed to the EQ’s devastation sets a precedent or benchmark for the future. There may be sinister reasons for this revelation which I will bring to light shortly.

It does shows that we live on borrowed time and the exploitation of our resources in ways that will ultimately harm our earth need to be recognised. We know that these practices are unsustainable. They do need to be managed much better and hopefully this article creates some awareness.

However, I believe it is part of a conspiracy to control the food growth, harvesting and distribution around the globe. By placing even tighter restrictions on farming and food production, the smaller family farmers are pushed out of business as they can not compete with legislation and fees that affect their bottom line.

The multi national global farming organisations then control the food monopoly and prices ultimately go up. This not only affect consumers in the pocket but also our health. The end result is just more control of our food and the little guy getting screwed.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-10-2012 by magma because: layout

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Good for you in sharing this.

I read the article and was going to start a thread about it,but got busy.
It seems we are causing changes that mother earth doesn't really like.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Well hell, if farmers are to blame for earth quakes just by digging wells then what the hell is fracking to blame for?
edit on 21-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Lots of human activities cause quakes - dam building, seismic testing, drilling for oil. Funny how it's small farmers taking the heat.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Like with every thing profit trumps all there is no regard for the world we leave our children and our grand children .

What is even more disturbing is the amount of food waste of what we throw out and the amount of waste from food expiring of the shelves at the store . And kids still go to bed hungry in our own countries
edit on 21/10/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by magma

Well hell, if farmers are to blame for earth quakes just by digging wells then what the hell is fracking to blame for?

It's all the same premise.

Adding and subtracting water in the ground close to faults,causing alot of issues and changes to to local geography.

In this particular case,it was the subtraction of ground water to such an extreme the the earth's faults shifted a bit.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Point is, how many more earth quakes have we suffered because of all the fracking going on? I'm guessing a lot.

John Lennon's kid and Yoko have written a protest song about fracking and are asking NY's governor to cease and desist.

Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon Urge New York Governor to Delay 'Fracking' Deadline

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Gaia doesn't care if we take a little water from her reserves as long as we don't waste it and try to make huge profits by over pumping it. It's when the greed takes over that we wind up damaging her. If people had little gardens in their yards and collected rainwater from their roofs to water it, only taking water from the ground when we really need it, we would do little harm. We waste a lot of water on everything, taking showers every day is bad both for our health and the environment.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This reminds me of something I read a while back, about Mother earth shaking herself of parasites like a dog tries to shake off the flea's. We're just trying to hang on and survive. The harder we try, the harder she shakes.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

reply to post by kdog1982

Point is, how many more earth quakes have we suffered because of all the fracking going on? I'm guessing a lot.

John Lennon's kid and Yoko have written a protest song about fracking and are asking NY's governor to cease and desist.

Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon Urge New York Governor to Delay 'Fracking' Deadline

Point taken.
But what is going on with fracking is affecting a larger population then before there was fracking and earthquakes were a natural occurrence.
So now,it's a concern.
That needs to be taken into account.

edit on 21-10-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Aww you just don't get it. See, it's like this. Those frackers have like, scientists behind them and guys with clip boards and white coats, who point at the ground and say "Ummmm..." then move a few feet left, point at the ground and go "Ummmm...." then move back to the first spot and point, going "Ummmm. Ahhhhhhh!" then staring at the spot... then declaring "Studies have proven that this is the spot where we can do the most exploding of things and blowing up of stuff, and it will do whatever it is we're trying to do, and within a 100% safety margin."

Farmers, who do they think they are. All they have is a cow. And that cow doesn't care about that spot. But does the farmer bother to do such intricate scientific testing to determine if his well will cause catastrophic land stability failure? Not a jot. He's a farmer. They only care for themselves. Should be locked up, the lot of them for the damage they do to the environment with their sheep and pigs..

Why I even heard that some farmers have the gall to complain about being charged for rain that falls on their property if they pool it. As if the rain that falls from the sky is theirs. Farmers. arrogant lot of no good for nothings..

I tells ya.

edit on 21-10-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

reply to post by magma

Indeed, the logic is sound.

Why do I foresee a sudden 'redefinition' of the 'cause' versus the 'damage?'

As we hollow the ground beneath us by thoughtless exploitation of what's down there, we may be weakening the ability for the land to endure seismic activity as it used to. Perhaps water in the soil can increase it's plasticity, and its ability to rebound from large shocks..? or even relatively small ones; depending on how much change has occurred.

edit on 21-10-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
Like with every thing profit trumps all there is no regard for the world we leave our children and our grand children .

What is even more disturbing is the amount of food waste of what we throw out and the amount of waste from food expiring of the shelves at the store . And kids still go to bed hungry in our own countries
edit on 21/10/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

We've been regulated and legislated to the eyeballs.

Imagine a small starving kid behind a very tall very wide glass wall, that on the other side he can see truckload after truckload of good food being dumped into a huge waste hole in the ground.

That's how I feel.

Can't take the food, because it might make you sick and you can sue the company who threw it out, or you cant take the left overs because it may constitute a loss of profit and they would rather taint the food ruining it for consumption that let anyone take it. Or it may simply be against the law to take good food out of a receptacle that has been provided for the disposal of food stuffs.

All for our safety or protection you see.

And every time it's time for garbage collection when people throw out large household items, and the councel comes along to collect the waste, once a year, I see old computers, big old tube tv's, stereo systems, all sorts of stuff.

I scored a working decent pentium4 2.6Ghz machine complete with workding hard drive a few months ago. They didn't even wipe the hard drive of data. Full of emails, images, etc.

The throw away society.

It's illegal to take things out of a dump.

We're tied and bound so tight by legislation that we're too busy trying to breath to notice we're suffocating faster than ever.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The problem here is the water table is affected by many things, and will change levels over time. If the land above is full of growth, it will pull the water up. Cut down the vegetation, it will stay lower.

So any changes really that a farmer makes to affect the water table, should not make any real impact, at least not from my point of view.

Farming has been going on a long long time. Irrigation has changed the surface of the earth, and especially in very arid lands where underground water would be exploited to the hilt, it's a little bit of a kick in the nose to expect people to now look at farmers and point the finger, when behind them stands a company with no face, and a very very big drill..

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The main concern about this farming study and report is: The researchers are blaming the farmers for sinking wells. On the surface anyway. Yet it is a combination of the well sinking and the removal of the water from the basin.

Basically what they are saying is the farmers have sunk wells , drained the basin and these actions have contributed to the increased severity of an Earthquake?

Fracking on the other hand blasts the underground structure under pressure at the same time contaminating the basin and endangering the lives of people through this contamination.

YET, according to this report the farmers are taking the hit for a depleted water basin.

Farmers are being setup. Pure and simple.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Farmers blamed for deadly quake?

And people buy that?

Some one drilling a well does not cause an earthquake, tectonic plates that are moving agianst each other creating billions,trillions of pounds of pressure per square inch over miles,.

A hole drilled in the ground does not cause earth quakes.

That was utter nonsense, and I can't believe how many people jumped on that train.
edit on 22-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Farmers blamed for deadly quake?

Crazy huh?

And people buy that?

I am sure that some will

Some one drilling a well does not cause an earthquake, tectonic plates that are moving agianst each other creating billions,trillions of pounds of pressure per square inch over miles,.

The core of the issue is the depleted water basin, not the actual drilling of the holes

That was utter nonsense, and I can't believe how many people jumped on that train.

I think it is the interpretation and the headline. Curious though what people are you talking about?

edit on 22-10-2012 by magma because: format

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Those farmers dropped the groundwater level for about 250m in the last 60 years, and that was along a rupture envelope, a fault in the earth's crust.

I am pretty sure that such an intense interference with local steady states would have to show problems.

BTW: Fracking takes place usually in depths > 1.000m, which doesn't mean that it does not have the potential to dislodge jammed earth-plates, but the effects to the earths surface in respect of polution are really quite small.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
How long before they start wanting money for the ground water beneath you. 1000' deep and they blame the farmers. NOT

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join