It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are People Worth Helping?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I thoroughly AGREE! I know three such persons (couples making that six in all), plus the church of one of these couples.

These aren't "helpers" in my books. They are people who take advantage of persons down on their luck to enslave them. There's also a non-denominational church with a good 20 acres of grass and when a 94 year old man asked them for food, they told him he had to WORK for his food. A PUSH-MOWER on 20 acres in 90's to 100 degree farenheit weather!

Many foxes and hounds are drawn to the hen house, many wolves are drawn to the sheep. Wherever there are truly needy people, there are those there to take advantage of these same people.

edit on 23/10/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
What is the best way to help someone?

Now, we can begin to address this question.

To me (personally), I think the best way is first to NOT ASSume they desire, want or need help.

Second, not be condescending.

Third, ask them what they want or need without asking "why". If they want to explain "why", that's their perogitive. Actually, those with a canned "why" in their response are more suspect to me than those who do not offer a "why".

Fourth, determine your own abilities and resources. There's a point where a helper-type person can short-change themselves. If you live in a box and the person asks for your box - do you have the ability to acquire another box for yourself and does the requester have the same ability to acquire a box for themselves?

Fifth, do not OVER-respond. Do they simply want to know where or how you got your box? Don't merely hand your box over if what they truly wanted, needed and asked for was information on how to do it themselves.

These are just a few considerations.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Had this guy droped dead they certainly would have thought that he gots what was comming. At some point he should have invested in gold.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Universal Banking System

no.. it's not what u think LOL. i believe in the universal reward system. every action of assistance towards another is an action of assistance towards God. and you do collect points for it. Spiritual Points which contribute to your own spiritual growth. in the same every action of of downtrodding on another is an action of downtrodding on God. and you will lose spiritual points because of it. build enough chips to cash in for greater spiritual rewards that can be manifest in any form of reality. a better job, finding money, the love of your life etc. some ppl are poor yet they have love and are happy. some ppl are rich and have very little love and are quite unhappy. perhaps they could share their riches with the needy and happy and will in turn receive happiness. it is addictive. the feeling of assisting someone who couldnt repay you. it brings great joy. not someone taking advantage of you for wearing your heart on your sleeve.. that's a different story.

but to answer your question. i think the answer is YES. because helping others will help you in return. personally i rather have a powerful eternal spirit than a prideful dying body. the first shall be last and the last shall be first.
edit on 23-10-2012 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Dear OP,

The best answer on the way to help others had been taught by a divine teacher 2000 years ago.

'Give a man a fish and you feed for a day,
Teach him how to fish and you'll feed him for life'.

Education is a way out of poverty, for it teaches mankind to think, not just profit, but for himself and others around him to build up a society that leaves no one behind in social-political and economomic spheres.

Mankind had proven itself capable of improving upon learnt and taught knowledge, and will grow in leaps and bounds, to make mistakes and yet correct them to evolve.

It begins with education, not necessary of the academic kind, but can be in many forms. Give to charity and you will end with the poor with a 'crutch mentality', for ever dependent on help.

Show him the ways to earn a living, so as to live in dignity, and you would have helped him for life. Not everyone can be taught, but those who do, will be worth your effort as they contribute to society, and in turn, they help others, gradually making those needing help becoming only a smaller pool, not negliable, but may be helped by others with different techniques than ours, to rejoin society.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Admitted, I didn't read the whole thread. The title caught me, many times, before I even read the OP.
Having said that, my answer is yes. Because we no longer even know what constitutes your label of "people."
I point you to Black's Law Dictionary, and then cite CGI, to say first, human is slavery, by definition, and second, (the CGI part), there is no telling who is whom...any more.
Still, because you don't know by what you see or perceive, we should err on the side of honor, loyalty and fsith, in a time which challenges us to possess or interpret any such thing's existence.

Oh yes, and this: "A River Runs Through It." One of the messages in this film was, you cannot help someone who does not want help, perhaps because our definition of living is at odds, among other things.
edit on 23-10-2012 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
What is the best way to help someone?

There seems to be a great amount of people in need of help. Someone have nothing to eat and some have everything but happiness. Some will fail to admit that they themselves could use some help as well.

Are people worth helping or should we just accept that it may be their fate to suffer or do without?

we need to help people to help themselves. if all we do is feed a person how does he learn to feed himself , he has no pride or joy in himself when other must provide

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Absolutely not!

Na, think you view on it is all wrong.

Certain cases I suppose some people need to figure things out for themselves but there are those who need help and appreciate it when they receive it.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
People are definitely worth helping. I find I am much happier when I have successfully guided someone in the right direction, and I try even when I find I am unable to help. I know I have helped someone when they come back to me with different metters.

dubznow
edit on 23-10-2012 by dubznow because: spelling

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SparkOfSparks6
Don't pity, Don't help, Don't influence, Don't offer, but what you must do is Show.

Yeah like eating a sandwich in front of somebody hasn't eaten a week. Way to go

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join