It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children to be taught 'heterosexuality not the norm' in Australian schools project

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

The problem I have with introducing it to the schools is that some kids may not know or realise what homosexuality is (in other words they don't have the knowledge to bully in the first place) and with that, I see that it could be influencing children at the same time.
Really? You don't think kids have any exposure at all outside of school curriculum? You think that it is sex education which gives them the attitudes about homosexuals which leads to bullying? You don't think their peers, their "society", has anything to do with it? You don't think that being taught at home that gays are immoral or deviant or evil or "not right" has anything to do with it?

I said earlier that I didn't know about homosexuals until I was eleven or twelve and I was told about "them" by older kids. It wasn't a nice picture.
edit on 10/24/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by Phage

Society really doesn't care from what I can see and hear.

Perhaps your corner of society. Some other parts of society have some compassion and don't like to see anyone bullied or ostracized because they are different.

No-one wants to see anyone bullied but the problem I have is that this isn't a problem here. Homosexuals can doing everything a straight person can.. They work, run businesses, go to the local for a beer, they have it great here and do not get harrassed. That is in society and I bet what I just pointed out is better than the way things were 30-40 years back when a beating was a common occurence.

The problem I have with introducing it to the schools is that some kids may not know or realise what homosexuality is (in other words they don't have the knowledge to bully in the first place) and with that, I see that it could be influencing children at the same time.

You know there are a few things homosexuals can not do that I can. So far in many places (world wide) they can't get married, they get refused adoption based on their choice of partners, oh and many blood banks will not take their blood. As far as I know there have been no openly gay presidents of the USA yet either (or non christian ones either, and don't give me the Obama is Islamic crap, he is not).

No it's not equal.

Don't fool yourself.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sadly there are also parents who let their children get taught bigotry. It used to be that way for ethnic minorities too. We don't want "their sort" in school, they might affect our kids. Same tune different target, hmmm mixed metaphor.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Really? You don't think kids have any exposure at all outside of school curriculum? You think that it is sex education which gives them the attitudes about homosexuals which leads to bullying?

Yeah of course they do... They use the word "gay" to belittle and hang sh!t on each other.. Its a common thing here. Even the girls do.

You don't think their peers, their "society", has anything to do with it? You don't think that being taught at home that gays are immoral or deviant or evil or "not right" has anything to do with it?

Some people would, some who don't see things the way others do... But most accept homosexuals. The issue is not that big here...

I said earlier that I didn't know about homosexuals until I was eleven or twelve and I was told about "them" by older kids. It wasn't a nice picture

I knew one girl who became homosexual through high school... She wasn't just fat, she was ugly but because me and others had respect, we treated her like anyone else. She was on the X factor Australia this year, she is a road worker and seeing her doing her thing on national tv was awesome.... matter of fact, I think she had a fling with her drama teacher which helped her swap sides.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

They are equal enough to enjoy freedom, live the life they choose and be happy. If they think things are so bad here, then they need to take trip to Iran...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

The issue is not that big here...
Are you sure? Or are you just not paying attention?

A number of other surveys of LGBTQ youth in the UK, USA and Australia indicate, between 30-50% of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth have directly experienced homophobic bullying at school. Furthermore, one of the largest safe schools studies conducted to date, involving 237,544 students in grades 7-9, revealed that 7.5% of students reported being harassed because of their actual or perceived sexual orientation.

Of those students who were harassed, they reported lower grades (24%), higher absentee rates (27%), greater depression (55%), and were more likely to make plans to commit suicide (35%) when compared to their heterosexual peers.

www.bullyfreealberta.ca...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

If they think things are so bad here, then they need to take trip to Iran...

You're a real good person, you are.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by Noinden

They are equal enough to enjoy freedom, live the life they choose and be happy. If they think things are so bad here, then they need to take trip to Iran...

So down south USA? Down South southern Hemisphere? Where are you from DarknStormy?

This is an Australian program, yet a lot of people in the USA (on ATS) are getting antsy.... why?
Oh and "go live in Iran". You know that is a typical paleoconservative attitude. If someone is born somewhere, they have a right to live there. Both the USA and Oz (oh and New Zealand where I am from, and yes I've lived in the USA for a decade, before "going back" some where when the economy tanked) are based on supposed equality. Yet Homosexuals, non christians, and oh non whites are often "told to go back home" or "deal with it because it's worse else where" and that is the more polite things said.

So kindly, here is some vassiline, try to remove your head from that orifice .

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I hear some six fingered banjo playing, and "y'all not from round here"

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What are the most common types of homophobic bullying?
The four most common types of homophobic bullying are:

Verbal bullying – may involve malicious name-calling; spreading rumors or gossiping that someone is gay; making threats; unwanted sexual comments or jokes; suggesting that someone or some thing is stupid and therefore “gay”.

Social bullying – may include many forms of exclusion, isolation, public humiliation or intimidation.

Physical bullying – may include obscene gestures, hitting, punching, poking, kicking, choking, chasing, stalking, or threatening someone with physical harm; destroying or stealing belongings; unwanted sexual touching, teasing, or harassment.

Cyberbullying – using the Internet, instant messaging and cell phones to intimidate, put down, spread rumors, make fun of, threaten, or exclude someone because of their actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.

How is that homophobic bullying. Everything I see there from your source could be applied to any bullying?

Did they just steal all them points and rename it "Homophobic"?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

How is that homophobic bullying
Can't you read?
It is homophobic bullying because it is directed at sexual orientation. Kids are bullied because they are, or are thought to be, gay.

edit on 10/25/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I bully gay people all the time. What can you do about it? Nothing. I'm doing it tomorrow when I go to school.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You people are aiming high, aren't yous? Anyone who believes a $250,000 school program is going to stop that bullying is a moron. Kids are going to do that whether you try to stop them or not.

Its a fight people will never win.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Its a fight people will never win.

So don't do anything at all. Good plan. That sort of attitude will get you far.
How much is one kid's life worth? To you, if he's gay, nothing. I guess.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

If you knew how to read properly, you would know I'm from Australia sheepie... Racism is a bigger problem in our country compared to homosexuality. We have more foreigners than homosexuals in the country. Maybe we should be fixing those issues before anything else.. But again, racism is going to be around for eternity like homosexuality mocking... Its something that will keep popping up regardless of programs and knowledge.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Look I understand you yanks may have an issue with it, about 40% of your country would be homosexual.... Over here, putting the figures together you would find that out of the 50% who have been bullied, not many would be homosexual. Last I remember, the people who got bullied at school were the ones who succeeded down the track. I know bullying is wrong but unfortunetly, it is just part of life, like every other experience good or bad.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Last I remember, the people who got bullied at school were the ones who succeeded down the track.

Right.

Homophobic taunts played a significant role in the suicide of a 14-year-old boy, a coronial inquest has found.
www.starobserver.com.au...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You want to talk about bullying...

What about the poor kid who gets beaten up on the way home for looking like a nerd?

What about the kids who are tormented for other issues apart from homophobic?

My Mum works with a lady whos 12 year old son is beaten by a 17 yr old on a regular basis in the city she works... This Homophobic bullying has been around for eons even to the point now friends will use it to stir each other up..There are bigger problems than being called "Gay, Homo etc". One person I used to go to school with almost lost his life because he was Asian... Six guys kicked the sh!t out of him and left him in the gutter to die.. Bullying should be used as the word bullying. Not sub categorised. If you are going to try and stop it, stop it as a whole.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

You people are aiming high, aren't yous? Anyone who believes a $250,000 school program is going to stop that bullying is a moron. Kids are going to do that whether you try to stop them or not.

The shame is it is attitudes like yours that inhibit any changes.

'Can do' is the way to change, even in adversity.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

If you are going to try and stop it, stop it as a whole.

Unlikely you will find any sane person who would disagree with this

new topics

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join