It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children to be taught 'heterosexuality not the norm' in Australian schools project

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Excuse me but has anybody considered why the heck these schools are teaching 12 year olds about sex?

I thought schools were for readin' 'ritin', and 'rithmatic.

What will they do next week? Hand out blue condoms to the girls and pink condoms to the boys?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Wait a minute..... The OP here started a thread with a zinger of a title..on a topic that almost 100% assured a combat thread from the word GO....and he didn't read the whole thing to be certain for the details first? Oh My....

I'd have to ask what we're debating then? How can we have a debate with the OP on policy, when it seems those debating from the 'audience' may know better what the OP's own material says than he does?

(hops off to get busy elsewhere) Umm... Epic Fa...err..nvm. I don't even need to say it.

He was probably just looking for a way to justify his bigotry

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Excuse me but has anybody considered why the heck these schools are teaching 12 year olds about sex?

What will they do next week? Hand out blue condoms to the girls and pink condoms to the boys?

Well, given all those STDs, sexed makes perfect sense, no?

When do you propose they learn about it? After puberty?

edit on 21-10-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well homosexuality is by definition not normal
because it's not the norm

being outside of the norm is even being used today as a defense argument in debates like
"Oh well we gays only represent like under 10% of society so we are no threat"
By saying that they themselves are saying they aren't in the norm

But anyhow
Is the founder an american?
Anyone know?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well homosexuality is by definition not normal
because it's not the norm

That's like saying "the sky isn't blue because it's not blue"

Of course it's normal given it's a normal occurrence in nature...even if they are a minority. Just like pigmies are a minority but still normal.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Wow, I'm surpised by this forum.

Pointing out that being homosexual is not normal or natural does not make one intolerant.

The policy planned for the schools is to teach both are equal, that homsexuality is normal.

I disagree with this.

I am not homophobic, I just know that children experiencing puberty are already confused and perhaps it is better to let the children make their own minds up based on what society is. A program in a school is not going to alter tolerance levels, bullies will be bullies.

Sorry for thinking critically!

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

The policy planned for the schools is to teach both are equal, that homsexuality is normal.

Scientifically speaking it clearly is...

I disagree with this.

And that's your right...still doesn't change the fact that you're clearly wrong

I am not homophobic

Yet you call them abnormal when they clearly aren't...

I just know that children experiencing puberty are already confused and perhaps it is better to let the children make their own minds up based on what society is.

By not giving them all the knowledge...like knowledge that scientifically speaking homosexuality is normal? Your idea of teaching children is to withhold information? Great plan

Sorry for thinking critically!

Thinking critically would require you to look at the evidence, and since the evidence suggest it is normal, you clearly aren't thinking critically when making bigoted statements

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Saying that homosexuality is not normal is not correct, IMO. It does occur, and it is not the result of a birth defect, as far as I know.

Saying that heterosexuality is not normal is not correct either. Heterosexuality also occurs, it is the reason that most of us are here right now.

What would be wrong with approaching it from a scientific standpoint in sex ed classes? Acknowledge that both exist, and that both are normal.
edit on 21-10-2012 by butcherguy because: Missed a word dangit

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I was thinking the same thing.

Then again I could see how teaching them in a public setting which in some cases could be more tolerant than being taught at home without religion or parents views thrown into the mix.

I'm not dogging on religion or a parent's right to teach their children what they want.

This is just one of those topics which you can go either way with.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Since I am lazy and these threads are getting really old, I am just going to post exactly what I did on the last one like this (which got closed by the way)

The whole LGBT debate is getting a bit old and seems to be inciting hatred on both sides of the argument.

Personally I just see it as a way for TPTB to keep us squabiling among ourselves about something that has little importance. Unless you subscribe to the idea that there is some conspiracy by satanists or something to turn the population LGBT, it should be of little practical significance.

How about we all let bygones be bygones and move on to more pressing matters like the whole corrupt world power structure thing.

I see this as being much like the thing you point to when your like: "hey look at that!" ( *Moves piece on chessboard*)

Posted on 20-10-2012

Seriously though, people are dying all around the world, and this is the most important thing to be discussing right now? Im beginning to lose faith in ATS.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

What century are you living in? 20 years ago I was taught sex ed in school at that age. Then again I also live in a civilized part of the world, I am thankful I learned at that age, help me prevent myself from making any mistakes.

So how come to OP still has not provided these facts he/she claims to have that homosexuality is abnormal? You would think how adamant the OP is about having these facts that it would be easy to post them, but nope the OP keeps ignoring requests to post them, not surprised...

Perhaps after they learn to read and add. Today's kids can't divide, add or subtract without a calculator. All they can do is multiply.

Thank god I don't live in a place where 12 years old can't read or do basic math. That is all stuff I learned in 1st or 2nd grade as far as I remember. Then again my classroom was not in a cave.

edit on 21-10-2012 by Mcfrazer because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2012 by Mcfrazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

[

Perhaps after they learn to read and add. Today's kids can't divide, add or subtract without a calculator. All they can do is multiply.

Does anybody care what the the teachers' qualifications are or are they just considered experts at everything because they are teachers?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think the article's title

Children to be taught 'heterosexuality not the norm' in Australian schools project
is over-sensationalized.

It 'seems' to me that the primary goal is to get grade school kids to stop calling other kids "queer" and other such distasteful names. The secondary goals would be to 'accept others, no matter what their sexual preference'. Third, they might dispell outdated old MYTHS such as the MYTH that animals do not have homosexual behaviors. That is blatantly false and anybody who has dealt with animals for a period of time have WITNESSED that is is false. Some animals DO have homesexual behaviors, cats and dogs for instance.

Notice that the article's title says "heterosexuality" whereas the article uses the term "heterosexism". My short paragraph above is in relation to "heterosexism".

Homophobia is a social DISEASE.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

[

Does anybody care what the the teachers' qualifications are or are they just considered experts at everything because they are teachers?

So because according to you they aren't being taught well enough in terms of reading/writing, they shouldn't be taught about sexuality at a time when it's most relevant to have that education...puberty?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012
I for one am sick and tired of seeing this agenda playing out. I'm not homophobic in any way whatsoever, I know gay people, but it is wrong to promote the idea that homosexuality is normal. We know it is not right, it is not natural.

Everything you have stated is now meaningless and your opinions on this subject are null and void.

Why? Because you state that homosexuality is not "natural".

There is no such thing as "not natural", otherwise it would not exist in nature. It's an oxymoron. What you mean to say is that YOU find it unacceptable, not that it is unnatural in any way.

I know people like you don't like science, but there is plenty of evidence, throughout the history of the Human race and throughout the animal kingdom, that homosexuality is in fact very normal, and very natural. It exists in every species observed on this planet.

Humans are the only species on Earth that has a problem with homosexuality, and that problem is based on religious insanity and the desperate need some have to control others and force their will onto people they disagree with. Even when their actions and lifestyles have no bearing at all on anyone else, they feel they must force others to comply.

I for one welcome these plans. It's about time the religious nut cases were put in their place and told to keep their attitudes to themselves. They are genuinely crazy people who resolutely refuse facts and scientific data in favour of believing their religious doctrine and following their desire to be little Hitler's.

The more opportunities we have to break the cycle and educate kids in actual scientific facts and the realities of nature, rather than religiously guided BS, the better off the Human race will be in the future.

FYI, I don't believe you do have any gay friends at all, and if you do, they merely "tolerate" you.
edit on 21-10-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Subjecting children (or anyone) to just one way of thinking is very narrow minded. Present all the choices and as the child grows up; allow them to make their own choices.

Expecting others to think as you do could also be construed as narrow minded.

I can just see Jesus now, talking to all the little children, presenting to them all their sexual choices , and telling them they are free to be whatever they want sexually, and they are free to choose whatever.

Even true Buddhists respect sexuality more than the "anything goes" motto.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
reply to post by caladonea

Subjecting children (or anyone) to just one way of thinking is very narrow minded. Present all the choices and as the child grows up; allow them to make their own choices.

Expecting others to think as you do could also be construed as narrow minded.

I can just see Jesus now, talking to all the little children, presenting to them all their sexual choices , and telling them they are free to be whatever they want sexually, and they are free to choose whatever.

Even true Buddhists respect sexuality more than the "anything goes" motto.

Last I checked Jesus was big on tolerance...so if he really existed it would make sense to say he'd support this program...because it promotes tolerance

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It's just an agenda for homosexuals that have more and more freedoms yet still don't feel satisfied....and they can't figure out why!

Duh!

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Wonderer2012

Oh for crying out loud, you can't be seriously believing kids can be turned gay

I come from a liberal background, but when I was 13 it wasn't as if I thought to myself "mhhhhh, should I go for dudes or chicks?". Being tolerant versus homosexuals doesn't turn one gay

Seriously, do we still live in the 60s?

Ahem - even in the SIXTIES we got this SAME education of "tolerance" etc.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
It's just an agenda for homosexuals that have more and more freedoms yet still don't feel satisfied....and they can't figure out why!

Duh!

An agenda to have equal rights? I'm pretty sure the gay community would be satisfied with just being treated the same as the heterosexuals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join