It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Holes in the Universe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
reply to post by chr0naut

Sure we could witness a black hole forming.

multiple photographs over decades of a region of space I am sure who ever studying the will do over lays and figure out if something disappears . As I would assume that if there was a black hole created there will be tell tale signs of distortion . or am I wrong with such sharp clear images of space we would not witness the phenomenon.

However they can create mini black holes at the large hadron collider ( as i would assume you know there is no working model on gravity on the sub atomic level )

tiny black holes the accelerator could generate will instantly pop in and out of existence like phantom soap bubbles, without the necessary mass to sustain themselves. Read more: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Large Hadron Collider Now - Popular Mechanics

Link to external text

As I say again I feel there is something flawed in how we understanding on how black holes are formed . With the colliders that we have and more that are being planned for is a great start to really see the science to this event.

OK, I am aware that there are more indicators for the existence of black holes, but the only two that really specifically indicate a black hole (and not another massive stellar object like a dark neutron star, dark matter & etc.) are evidence of high gravity without a visible source (most usually noted as gravitational lensing without a central star) and an X-Ray source that appears close to the location of the gravitation's center. (Note also that as the star core collapses to a singularity, the rotational speed increases, like a pirouetting ballerina speeds up as she brings her arms in closer to her body. This will most likely produce a lobed or beamed X-Ray output along the axis of rotation rather than an even output, too).

I have an issue with the possible production of micro-singularities in colliders. To me, the near parallel curvature of space-time at sizes close to the Planck length seems impossible. We also aren't "missing" any appreciable energy from the collisions, which I believe we should see if we were creating singularities which then subsequently evaporated. Also, such a tiny singularity, if we were creating it, would also have a Schwartzchild radius approaching zero (and definitely sub-Planck length) and would therefore essentially be a naked singularity which would be smeared out of existence by quantum indeterminacy, taking their insufficient mass (energy) with them. We just aren't seeing any of this. This is my view, anyway, others may disagree.

edit on 22/10/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge
reply to post by chr0naut

Heres a theory for everyone,

Maybe our universe was the result of a supernova in another universe
and so on like a big fractal.i,e From small black holes to super massive
black holes and all the ones in between.

Just one of my many thoughts on the universe.

There are several theories that posit that some massive disturbance in one universe has birthed a new universe.

Many of these theories also hold that once "birthed off" the new "bubble" universes detach permanently and there is no path between the new and old universes.

There is even some observational data from the cosmic microwave background heat that suggests (loosely) such a birthing of a universe from our own.

Another possible theory is "M" theory (an offshoot of string theory) that holds that the universe was created as two "branes" (short for membranes) collided and the resulting disruption caused a big bang in one (or both) of those branes.

Unfortunately, it may take a long time to acquire sufficient proofs to allow us to say with confidence exactly how the universe was birthed.

<< 1   >>

join