It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Destiny does not Exist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
OK, so one day i was agruing with my dad because he believes that everything has a way and is already planned out. He said that we all have a specific destiny. So I pondered this and came up with this theory.

Ok, all major religions codemn suicide and so on, but if it was your destiny to die that way, why would God care. In fact with every sin, it WAS preplanned to happen, so why would you be punished.

Also, if you believe in God, why would you pray. The fact of the matter is, if you believe in destiny, that no matter how hard you pray, whatever happens was already going to happen.

I think its riduculous that believe believe that there some sort of plan for them and so on, because the greatest gift God gave us was the gift of choice.

Tell what you think, if you're religious or not.

The theory isn't too polished so plz excuse that.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by faiz
Ok, all major religions codemn suicide and so on, but if it was your destiny to die that way, why would God care. In fact with every sin, it WAS preplanned to happen, so why would you be punished.

You are assuming that there is a conscious god, that it cares and that it was not preordained. Distance yourself from yourself to find yourself.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Also, all thoughts arise in our subconscious, and if we are not conscious of our subconscious, how do we know these are our thoughts and not planted. So, how do you know you are actually making a choice?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Why don't more christians belive in DESTINY?? ??????

...since god already knew us (our destiny) even before the foundation of the world was laid.

======================
(Ephesians 1:2-14 NKJV) Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. [3] Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, [4] just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, [5] having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceTman
Why don't more christians belive in DESTINY?? ??????

...since god already knew us (our destiny) even before the foundation of the world was laid.

But if he did, why bother making something at all? Why would God flood the world (according to legend) if he KNEW it would happen, he could just have whiped out the cause for it.

No, I dont believe in predefined destiny. Cant really make a theory on it though. Those believing in destiny will just say "you where meant to do that!" no matter what you did, and you can never disprove it... Since it happened. The fun part is that if destiny is predefined, the history is predefined too. But since we all know history is an agreed upon lie, how can we know what is the truth, in both ends?

If what was predestined to happened happen, but we tell a completely different happening, how do we know it was destiny?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
My personnal belief is that we are semi-set on a path and semi-set on free will. In that, I believe that we have a a path, BUT we can change or modify it by some standard. There is a set of things that as individuals are supposed to accomplish or try to accomplish. Suicide is an act of free will and probably means that you failed in completing your path and probaly was not what you should have done.

I don't however belive that suicide is a ticket to Hell, but more a ticket back to the spirit rhelm for some counseling, a new body and similar life.

Uncaring God? I don't think that is the case at all, but I mean "Suicide is painless," what do you need for God to show you or tell you to make him/her seem caring? A scolding, telling you that suicide is bad? Most religions believe you get eternal burning punishment. Hell is the ultimate tough love.

"hell is God's way of telling us he cares"

** Disclaimer- I used to be Catholic so which means I believe anything I am told. **

[edit on 19-10-2004 by farhyde]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Ok. Let's logically lay this. Destiny means you have a predetermined path, reaching a set conclusion. Right fair enough. Ok, so throughout lives, we encounter billions of decisions. Each one taking us on a different path. Each of these paths inevitably will reach a conclusion. Some will reach the same conclusion, some won't.

Now, if there are an infinite number of paths, then there are an infinite number of conclusions. Therefore, destiny does in a way exist, as no matter which choice or action you make, the result of that choice/action is already set, and the infinite conclusions which match up to the infinite number of paths are also set.

The mere fact that all paths lead to a conclusion in my mind show that while we can control WHICH path we take, thus affecting the final conclusion, in the end it is inevitable that we will reach one of the infinite number of predefined conclusions, thus, we have a destiny.

Also, on the note of proof of the idea of "destiny". Here's a personal example I have used on another forum. My father wanted a transfer to a warmer climate. For years, no luck. Unexpectedly, his mum (who lived closeby) dies. A week later, my mother's parents (who lived further North aka in a warmer climate) fall sick. VERY shortly after these two events (withing 2-3weeks, i can't give an exact time period), after years of trying to get a transfer, he is finally successfull.

Bit of a coincidence how he was totally unable to get the transfer untill his mother passed away and his mother-in-law falls sick isn't it? Also strange how this all happened just as I was finishing primary school, which made it perfect timing to start at a new high school..

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I too beleive in a partial set plan for ones life. Suicide? If you comment suicide, you will just have to relive a similar life aain till you complte the lesson for that incamation you are menat to learn. As to "hell" there is, as are many words in the bible, a translation problem there. The word "hades" translates to the "Grave"
there: 3rd paragraph down

www.truthortradition.com...

*Didn't want to copy & paste the paragraph so you'll have to go the site to read

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by faiz
OK, so one day i was agruing with my dad because he believes that everything has a way and is already planned out. He said that we all have a specific destiny. So I pondered this and came up with this theory.

It sounds like Calvinism.

It seems there is no end to people imagining fate for others, then calling it destiny. You could explore Eastern paradigms, although I personally think they are too messy. In that way you could unmask what they call the Akahsic record. You would realize there is a record of every event in that way of thinking.

On another score one could find solice in the idea "it's the journey not the destination," where all the best of your life becomes more clear. Destination and destiny, get the root words? It could be considered the outcome of an itinerary. Elites of course want you to think they draw your itinerary, you and most religions considering free will know it is YOU who draw up YOUR itinerary.

The words "sin," and "grace," mean different things to us than to many people historically finding a path in religious belief. Maybe today people know the word "sin," as some "pain," that the preacher deals out to get an interested audience. Absent of course from these hysterics is a concept of grace. It may all mean the differences from feeling pretty good to feeling ill. But the reasons for your feelings are different in religion, one actually knows one's own "state of grace," and knows the difference when one fails and "sins." What they don't want to tell you is that once you "get it," and stay in "grace," you are basically free. That is a beautiful destiny.

How is all this supposed to be useful to people today? Well it is a way of thinking for one. Additionally it serves as an instrument to "know thyself."

So what is destiny? My argument is that you are the determining factor, and as long as that is so and you seek and find wisdom, you are going to be all right. The more difficult journey is to tell others "how you got there."

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Ok. Let's logically lay this. Destiny means you have a predetermined path, reaching a set conclusion. Right fair enough. Ok, so throughout lives, we encounter billions of decisions. Each one taking us on a different path. Each of these paths inevitably will reach a conclusion. Some will reach the same conclusion, some won't.

Now, if there are an infinite number of paths, then there are an infinite number of conclusions. Therefore, destiny does in a way exist, as no matter which choice or action you make, the result of that choice/action is already set, and the infinite conclusions which match up to the infinite number of paths are also set.

The mere fact that all paths lead to a conclusion in my mind show that while we can control WHICH path we take, thus affecting the final conclusion, in the end it is inevitable that we will reach one of the infinite number of predefined conclusions, thus, we have a destiny.

Yes, I see your point, in fact I've had the same ideas arise in my mind as well. But the thing is that how do we know each of our conclusions, infact we dont. Now if you are religious, and only if you are, they you have to wonder why we exist anyways. I mean logically speaking, if your life is already planned for you, and when you die you later get judged on this decisions and so on, then what was the point. Regardless of whether you live or not, you're either going to heaven or hell, way before you even had a say about it.

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Also, on the note of proof of the idea of "destiny". Here's a personal example I have used on another forum. My father wanted a transfer to a warmer climate. For years, no luck. Unexpectedly, his mum (who lived closeby) dies. A week later, my mother's parents (who lived further North aka in a warmer climate) fall sick. VERY shortly after these two events (withing 2-3weeks, i can't give an exact time period), after years of trying to get a transfer, he is finally successfull.

Bit of a coincidence how he was totally unable to get the transfer untill his mother passed away and his mother-in-law falls sick isn't it? Also strange how this all happened just as I was finishing primary school, which made it perfect timing to start at a new high school..

I cannot agree with you here at all, because I could say that for every event in my entire life. Again if you are religious, one who doesnt believe in destiny will maybe ponder that such a lucky change occurred due to some possibly devine intervention.

top topics

join