It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a point in posting to a thread once it goes past the first page?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Didnt make sense to post this in "Board Business & Questions" because its not a question about functionality nor a suggestion. Its not a rant either, just a simple question.

So I ask, is there a point in posting to a thread once it goes past the first few posts? I ask because in all likelihood, no one will see it.

When I read a thread, I scroll down to see the first few comments. Sometimes I will reply to one of the early comments but thats about it.

I rarely if ever make it to the 2nd page.

What do you guys think?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
well that depends on if the only goal to post on ats is just to gain stars ... Then no there is no reason to post after the first page . Personally if I am interested in the topic I will will read all the posts . Over a year of reading undo's thread on star gates and I am still not finished . Guess that just goes to show the attention span of some ATSers

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I love multi-page posts because... I just like reading long threads, I guess.
(Unless the thread is like dozens of pages long. Then I get tired of what eventually becomes a repetition of opinion, and go to read something else.)
edit on 21-10-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think you would be surprised at the amount of people who read entire threads.

If it is something that interests me and the posters are engaging in a civil debate, I'll read the entire thread, all of the posts. Personally, I enjoy hearing all sides of a story prior to taking a stance, these civil debates sometimes lead to an understanding, for me anyways.

Peace

edit on 21-10-2012 by QUANTUMGR4V17Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If you are collecting stars, simply check out the New Topics realtime update and post something that will be popular as a response to newly created threads.

But to me, stars is not the point. If you start thinking that way, then you will censor yourself and ask "is this popular?" before posting. Which puts you under the control of what other people think of you.

Just ignore the stars is my advice, but if you want to collect, Ive told you how to do it.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

While I agree in some instances, it is not always true, at least for me. As a thread I am very interested in, or I feel is of a great importance, I will read alsmot every reply, or at least most, so as to stay up to date on the direction of the conversation, and to make sure not to post redundant content that has already been posted.

Though, at times if I was in a discussionlate at night, and then I wake and it is 17 pages beyond where I left off, I will usually, just skip to the last few pages and read a couple to catch up, and then rejoin the discussion.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It depends on the topic. Gay rights, abortion, etc? Don't bother. It's just a rehash of what people have already posted before, continue to and it's tedious. Once it gets back to the same ole, why bother?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This is enlightening as I thought most didnt read multiple page long threads, in which case it would make sense to post several pages in.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

i sometimes get more info off the posts than the threads ,just sometimes

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Quick, I better get my post in before we hit page 2!

You're right in a sense, just look at every time somebody makes a search on Google for example. Users rarely go past the first page of search results, unless it's something they're really interested in or trying hard to find.

It's the same with any forum, not just ATS.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I've read through threads with well over 100 pages. It just depends on the subject matter, and who is doing the debating within the threads. I've also interjected my opinion at the end of 25+ page threads.

Des

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I think a lot of people will look at the last page of a thread, especially if there are new posts on a thread which has drawn their attention before. If it has just appeared on the "recent posts" page, that will be because of the last post, so that's a reason for looking at it (even if it's only to see "who on earth has dragged this old one up again?")

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
For me it depends on the topic and the quality of the first few posts,

If people are genuinely interested they will read through.

P.s hope Im still on the 1st page

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

well that depends on if the only goal to post on ats is just to gain stars ... Then no there is no reason to post after the first page.

That's not completely true. Sure, your chances of getting a lot of stars is higher if you post on the first page, but most of it comes down to how good the post actually is. It could be on the 100th page and have dozens of stars, and I have seen that multiple times.

What I tend to do with most threads which are super long, is to read the first page, then maybe the second page. Then I skip to last page and read that, and maybe the second last page. Then I just randomly skip through pages if it's an interesting thread or I'm looking for something.
edit on 21/10/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I read full threads at times...if the topic is good or worth debating.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Has it got past the first page yet? Should I have bothered writing this? Where's my stars?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I agree with many posters above me, if the thread is interesting enough and I'm in the mood, I will read 10 pages plus. However, if it's anything to do with politics then I will read the first couple of pages then I'm done because the same tired rhetoric gets repeated again and again and again etc.

From memory, the threads I will read every single page of, no matter how long, are threads with a bit of humour in them. Ya know those ones where every other post makes you giggle, I could read those all night. In threads like that I'm always disappointed when I run out of posts to read.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Sure it makes sense to post in a discussion no matter how many pages are added. If you have something worthwhile to contribute, it gets immortalized on Google Search within hours (or maybe over night).
Not everyone reads long threads, but the record is made for posterity.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I will usually read an entire thread no matter how long it is, however if it degrades into ugly personal attacks or nothing but a bunch of one liners I will move on. Sometimes the best posts are in the middle of a multi-pager!

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Gotta go with Intrepid, the topic usually decides how much you'll read. If it's something that breaks into off topic arguments, I'm not going to wade through several pages.

But, if it's something interesting that's being discussed, sure, I'll read through as many pages as there are.

Also, if it's a topic that you can come and go on like the post a funny pic thread or the Avatar thread, it doesn't matter as much what was posted earlier. You can enter/exit at any point, come back a dozen pages later and drop right back into the conversation.

I guess instead of "location, location, location", it more "topic, topic, topic" on the interwebz

top topics

<<   2 >>

join