It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-D DNA Printers: Download Meds, Vaccines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
J. Craig Venter, who won awards for cracking the human genetic code back in 2000 and hit the headlines again in 2010 when he and colleagues created the first self-replicating cell with a synthetic genome, now is testing 3-D DNA printers.

Designed for “biological teleportation,” these printers could let us download our meds - and potentially, neutralize threats of epidemics and pandemics.

The famed geneticist says his team is testing 3-D DNA printers …

… (a) digital biological converter—designed for what Venter calls “biological teleportation” …

Imagine being able to download a vaccine or your medicine on your computer at home,” …

"That's the not-to-distant future, and it wipes out the possibility of an epidemic."

Venter Supports DNA Printers

Glitches and obstacles include the following:

...regulators would likely be reluctant to give the green light to DNA printers. The ability the download and print genetic material, such as vaccines, could easily be abused, leading to the creation of dangerous bioweapons, such as retroviruses. Regulators will also have to make sure that the printing is extremely accurate, because any small changes could lead to proteins working in unforeseen, potentially dangerous, ways.

Seems to me the risks here are about the same as now-common GE, GM and nano-tech stuff - but the benefits might be more empowering to individuals. However, what if a Big Pharma player hacked a competitor's code and sent out a killer virus instead of a vaccine? ...Oh yeah, they already did that.

What do you think?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If the ability is there to print a bioweapon or retrovirus, someone will do it. It seems like peoples' ideas are getting worse everyday. That project should be either shut down or put on hold indefinitely until real responsible people can step in.
"Oh, this can print out the Ebola virus?" *click*
A major virus would most likely be the end of mankind if we don't blow ourselves up first.
edit on 21-10-2012 by PunchingBag80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I still don't get it.

I can only imagine how mass produced pharmaceuticals are actually made - large scale production of every medicine on the market - but I know it still takes precise reactions in a controlled environment where humans are present to maintain everything checks out.

How can they now reduce the entire process to plugging some data into a pc and printing it out (even if it's a 3d-dna printer)? If they can even produce enough for one person, why is it not exploited and used on a large scale, surely a lot easier than mixing chemicals and solvents..

I think it's a lot more difficult than I understand..

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Regulators will also have to make sure that the printing is extremely accurate, because any small changes could lead to proteins working in unforeseen, potentially dangerous, ways.

yaay!!! more prions!
maybe even new diseases

oh well, genies already out of the bottle

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

yaay!!! more prions!

lol. You said it, not me.

maybe even new diseases

Oh yeah. But like you say...

oh well, genies already out of the bottle

...I'm conflicted. I suspect if anything can lead us to the 'instant diagnosis and treatment' we first saw on Star Trek, this little 3-D thingie just might be the crucial first step.

???

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I still don't get it.

....How can they now reduce the entire (drug production) process to plugging some data into a pc and printing it out (even if it's a 3d-dna printer)?

The world has changed. It absolutely IS possible to "print out" meds on a 3-D printer. And given the fact that our mass produced medications and vaccines routinely are contaminated, perhaps the best question is, "How do the rates of contamination compare between the two production processes (manual/mechanical versus 3-D printer)?"

If they can even produce enough for one person, why is it not exploited and used on a large scale, surely a lot easier than mixing chemicals and solvents..

Think economics. Like:

- What happens to Big Pharma and the pharmaceutical industry if individuals or their doctors can just "print out" the required meds?

- What happens to the resource harvesting industry, and the production and distribution systems dedicated to drugs?

- What happens to the industry staff? The technicians, packers, sorters, warehouse workers and all the rest?

This is HUGE in every way. Never mind the science, we're looking at a major revision of our economic system: a few years ago, the drug industry passed the oil industry as the world's largest industry. Venter's technology would destroy the pharmaceutical industry and thus, over 50% of the planet's current economic system. ...NOBODY lets changes like that "just happen" - certainly not the world's largest, most politically and economically powerful industry.

So...

Will 3-D DNA printers disappear like other great patents?

edit on 21/10/12 by soficrow because: wd

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

lol
yet another technology and lots of know-how we're going to have to master
before it's banned.
the gun printing episode looks like a testing of the waters

in response to winofiend drugs would be produced in small quantities, not industrial, using similar processes to the still experimental printing of of organs.

lol you'd need only the proper chemicals/ingredients and the formula/computer code
[i'd enclose the printer inside an orgone generator if i were printing bio-materials though, as they'd lack Mana/Prana otherwise] to print out anything from aspirin to wine:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I reconfigured my perspective, posted it as A World Changer On the Chopping Block. Please do comment.

Thanks, sofi

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'm thinking since reading about his work on Synthia, I'm reading about this guy everywhere. I'm not a burgeoning fan. And most of ATS will eventually agree. Watch this guy.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

Venter's a maverick - he puts himself and his work out front, doesn't hide behind closed doors like Big Pharma and biotech. Trust me, everyone is working on the same stuff, it's just Venter who has a big mouth.

That said, care to comment here? A World Changer On the Chopping Block and especially this post.

top topics

join