It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Trust or Not to Trust

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

More like everything is a choice whether we realize so or not.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
People trust others to the extent that the "other" can hurt them.

Its along the lines of "never lend money to family" - because when they don't pay it back, it hurts.

But we freely give money to homeless people on the street, because there is no expectation. We trust they'll use it beneficially and not on something illicit, and if they do it doesn't matter because we'll never know.
Its also along the lines of .... how to say.... people who fall for those emails promising money if you just "pay the taxes in advance". They don't stop to think about WHY they trust this person, but for some reason they do.

Probably because when it doesn't come through, they've only lost some cash. They do not feel genuinely betrayed. They are not left with a broken heart.

Yes, you should be able to trust the people that you love, but everytime you trust someone you open yourself up to disappointment.

I'm not saying don't trust anyone either. What I am saying is that you should weigh how much the "broken trust" will hurt - and can you handle it? If not, best to stay guarded.

I'm pretty thick skinned myself. I trust pretty much everyone till they give me a reason not to. Some give the reason within 3 seconds, others it takes years. As a general rule I don't put anything out there that I don't want to come back and haunt me later - online or in person.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyBuff

More like everything is a choice whether we realize so or not.

ok..So by that statement, I can make the assumption that if you or a family member has an innocent photo turn up in a very unlikely place..you'd be ok to say that it was through a choice of their own...even if that photo was taken of your son or daughter through some secret spy cam , that their landlords had installed without their knowledge.

Not everything is a choice...because there was no choice to make, in some situations.

You sound like someone who tends to blame the victim..until of course someone in your family , or yourself becomes a victim...through no fault of their own.
edit on 21-10-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
It seems in this day and age, that being a trusting person, is not the wisest way to be............................So I guess my point is this..can we really trust the pics we see on the net?

edit on 21-10-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

No it's not and...........no, we can't.

The only way you can trust anything on the net is when it's backed up by real life. What you see and hear with your own eyes and ears. The internet, aside from making legitimate money that you don't necessarily need your picture to do, should be used to verify what you already know. Too many people do it the other way around. They take what they see online, treat it like gospel and then look at your actions to verify THAT. Especially the younger generation who grew up online so to speak.

I hear what you're saying WW. It's almost gotten to the point where if you want to trust someone, the first criteria is that that someone shouldn't be very computer savvy. You sound like you have enough experience under your belt to able to see through people and their intentions though. You just have to be confident enough in yourself to act on that. You sound like you need a pint of Haagen Das, "The Notebook" and this:

youtu.be...

Have a good night hon. If you want my method on how to couple traditional online security with more "unconventional" methods, PM me. I'm like you, I don't need a gun to protect myself. I have other methods.

edit on 21-10-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I love your wisdom Taupin, and I truly appreciate what you have added to this thread...and there are many who are computer savvy that I would trust far more than many who aren't. There are all sorts in both categories.

Great song by the way, and The Notebook is one of my favorite movies...being the sentimentalist romantic that I am.

Thank you for being you...I honestly admire your wisdom, and optimism so much.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

Thank you

Anytime

I'll see you later.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Read these two books:

The Fifth Discipline
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People

Or chose not and keep your current perception; it is up to you - because you chose how you feel.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Read these two books:

The Fifth Discipline

Or chose not and keep your current perception; it is up to you - because you chose how you feel.

So..I guess what you are trying to tell me, is that the young woman who has the creepy landlord who has put up naked pics of her online, or sent pictures of her and her boyfriend having sex, to all her family members, should simply not choose to feel violated ?

You can choose to read whatever books you want, I will choose to understand my some people feel the way they do, considering certain circumstances.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Read these two books:

The Fifth Discipline

WTH is wrong with you?

Would it kill you to have a little compassion?

Right......sorry.......yours is one of the 7 habits of highly successful people, right?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
What the heck! Whisperingwinds banned? I had more to ask, more to say. From my perspective this seemed like a gentle yet strong member. Bye WW

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Read these two books:

The Fifth Discipline

ok so I can't figure out why she got banned but whatever...

The 11 Laws of the Fifth Discipline

Today's problems come from yesterday's "solutions."
The harder you push, the harder the system pushes back.
Behavior grows better before it grows worse.
The easy way out usually leads back in.
The cure can be worse than the disease.
Faster is slower.
Cause and effect are not closely related in time and space.
Small changes can produce big results...but the areas of highest leverage are often the least obvious.
You can have your cake and eat it too ---but not all at once.
Dividing an elephant in half does not produce two small elephants.
There is no blame.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tanda7
What the heck! Whisperingwinds banned? I had more to ask, more to say. From my perspective this seemed like a gentle yet strong member. Bye WW

After I read your posts on the member pic thread I thought it was interesting that the 1st song you put for the Halloween music thread was .........

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join