It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BEHIND THE VEIL: Never-Before-Seen Footage of Secret Mormon Temple Rituals

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by SunnyDee
I read the book Under the Banner of Heaven many years ago. It is a true story and involved a mormon family and murder. The book is also interesting as an introduction to mormanism.

This book is about Mormon fundamentalists. You know Jeff Warrens. Child brides etc.

How do the beliefs of Warren Jeffs differ from the teaching of Joseph Smith or Brigham Young? Child brides? Here's a website for you: wivesofjosephsmith.org... -- I see a couple of 14 year olds on that list.

That's like saying a book about Westboro church - - - represents Christians.

Not even close -- Jeffs and his ilk are following the direct teachings of the LDS church fathers. You're equating that by saying that Westboro Baptist follows the direct teachings of Christ? I certainly hope not.

They are not official LDS.

Only because the official church repudiated Smith, Young and the other early teachings, due to pressure by the United States government.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

How do the beliefs of Warren Jeffs differ from the teaching of Joseph Smith or Brigham Young? Child brides? .

I'm not going to waste my time.

You've made up your mind what you want to believe.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

How do the beliefs of Warren Jeffs differ from the teaching of Joseph Smith or Brigham Young? Child brides? .

If you want to claim that Smith and Young did not teach exactly what Jeffs was arrested, tried and convicted for, you dismiss the history and theology of people that you claim to admire so much.

After God revealed the doctrine of plural marriage to Joseph Smith in 1831 and commanded him to live it, the Prophet, over a period of years, cautiously taught the doctrine to some close associates. Eventually, he and a small number of Church leaders entered into plural marriages in the early years of the Church. Those who practiced plural marriage at that time, both male and female, experienced a significant trial of their faith. The practice was so foreign to them that they needed and received personal inspiration from God to help them obey the commandment.

In 1889 in the face of increasing hardships and the threat of government confiscation of Church property, including temples, Wilford Woodruff, President of the Church at the time, prayed for guidance. He was inspired to issue a document that officially ended the sanction of plural marriage by the Church. (Source: lds.org)

Reader's Digest version: They'd still be practicing it if the government hadn't cracked down. And that's from an "LDS Approved Site" (the church itself.)

Yes, I've made up my mind what I want to believe... the truth.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I honestly cannot believe some of the replies on here. Organized religion, all organized religion is meant to do a few things, but mainly one... To keep you pacified and to keep you from asking questions. Because when one begins to ask questions, it is proof that that individual is seeking truth. This is bad business for organized religion. I'm not an atheist however I would never ever go along with any type of organized religion. Obviously some of you in this thread are seeking truth to something... Something that your religion is not fulfilling... And why aren't they fulfilling it do you ask? Simple... They would lose business. Sure some teach a good moral life, however in my own opinion, what is life without experience? Both good and bad? How can you appreciate the harmonious perfection of the afterlife if you have been trying to live such a perfect life, never experiencing imperfection?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
We all know Mormonism is bs. But who cares? If they're not harming anyone else then this is more of a laugh then a serious issue.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
When I was young, I naively thought that Jehovah Witnesses were a "weird" religion. I didn't know all that much about Mormons. Then when I was in the Army, I dated a Mormon girl in Korea, and my eyes were opened to the religion. Well.. needless to say, now I feel a Jehovah Witness is not all that weird.. but Mormons are.. out there. Not Scientology "out there," but close. From its founding to their beliefs.. it's just nuts.

The good thing is that all Mormons I've met so far are darned nice people. So I've nothing against them at all.. other than I feel they follow a load of rubbish for beliefs.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by Annee

I know, I read the book.

The book also does a nice job on the history of the mormon church.

Sounds like a good book. However - separating official LDS from the fundamentalists is very important.

I'm not religious in any way. I actually now consider myself Atheist.

But I was Mormon for 5 years. They are a lot more "fundamental Christian" - - with Variations - - then most people would expect.

I defend them - - because the people are great. I love how they organize and run their wards. They assign attendance times by location. In other words - - you go to church with your neighbors. This helps everyone help each other. They are family focused. etc etc.

I've had visions and experience since first memory - so I have no problem accepting that.

I believe what people consider "gods" are actually real more evolved off-planet beings. So I have no problem with them believing in "worlds without numbers".

And like other beliefs - - there are members who support gay rights and are trying to work within the church.

saying mormons are Christian is like saying westboro baptists are Christian.....right?
Really, you do not get it. Pretencious much?
You admit to being indoctrinated using only mormon apologetics. What makes that different than brainwashing from a cult?, which it is. There is not one thing you have provided that says this is not so.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

annee, you made no convincing args and contradicted yourself endlessly hoping, just hoping someone would take your word for it because you were a mormon for 5 years and you have been doing this since icq, lol

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Of course the book of Mormons is NOT true, it was written by a known con man, its absolutely ridiculous, its nothing more then a successful cult.

cant that be said of all religions?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i dont care what religion my leader follows, i dont even care if its satanism, they are all garbage and lies. all i care out of my leaders, is that A. my standard of living and those around me has gone up B. doesnt press the red button.
so far my standard of living hasnt gone up under any president since ive been alive.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I don't think the beliefs and rituals themselves are any more harmful than those of other religions. It all seems silly to me.

What I do disagree with though, is that the Mormons, like the mainstream Christians and Muslims, etc, all want to make everyone live under their laws and belief systems. Seperation of church and state is very important. And the American users of this site, better know what they are getting themselves into come this election.

That being said, a friend of a friend of mine is a Mormon, but you would never know it to talk to him on the street.
He is a great person.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by scarybear

I absolutely agree. Cheers and here is the origin of my comment.

15 Step

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Those fundamental beliefs are subjective. One religion can not tell another religion what their fundamental beliefs should be. If the definition of Christianity varies between organized religions, one is no more superior than any other in determining what is false or what is the truth. Each religion determines their own truth.

100% correct. Bingo.

We have an infinite (uncountable) number of different expressions of Christianity. Christianity is just one expression of humanities search for Truth.

Humans , because of ego, ignorance, and cultural limitations, become blinded, and believe their search for truth, is somehow more authentic, or closer to Truth itself, than the next man.

Truth, real, honest to God, Living Truth, can be found in ALL the major religions, as well as an infinite amount of lesser religions, such as shamanism, animalism, spiritism, etc etc.

Of course, there will ALWAYS be confused souls who preach their way is the only way, but I'd hope most of you know better than that

No, there is no minimum requirement to be a christian, as one has suggested in this thread. If you believe in Jesus Christ , the story of that dude, in any way, you can consider yourself a christian. No one has the right to tell you that you aren't a christian. The original christians are so far from what all the modern branches of christianity has become, that is it entirely absurd for a modern day christian to pretend he or she is closer to the message of Christ as another.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I was raised mormon, and the majority of my family are to this day faithful mormons. If I step outside of my house I can throw a rock and hit a mormon church, I live in Utah and those things are everywhere here.

First, the OP's video about what happens in the temple is completely accurate, save for the fact it doesn't show everything. Also the temple rituals have changed a bit since the 70's/80's. Back then even worse things happened in the temples. Women stripped and touched by men they didn't know. Threats of violence if the temple secrets were shared with outsiders. An oath to take revenge against the united states government for its role in the persecution of Joseph Smith. Anyways, the things shown in the OP's video are actually pretty tame and accurate though not complete.

Second, if you read this thread you will see lots of people who say things like "I knew a mormon person, they and their family were really nice and good people". Let me tell you something about this, this is actually one of the biggest ways this church causes its people to suffer. These people are being nice, like an amway person is nice. Mormon culture pressures members from a young age to put on a facade of perfection and goodness, especially in front of non members, or in front of other members. Basically they hide their problems and bottle them up. Mormon church members become fakes in front of each other and non members, which actually harms them psychologically over time. Utah has the highest concentration of people taking anti-depressants in the United States. Acting fake all the time, and bottling up problems and trying to act like the perfect TV family messes them up.

In my opinion Mormonism is a cult. It is obviously fake. The bible talks about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem, there is archeological evidence that this actually happened. The mormons book tells of wars, industry, coinage, and many other things for which there is no archeological or historical evidence of. They are digging up dinosaur bones in Northern Utah and across the country, and no one has found any evidence to back up the claims of the book of mormon.

There is great pressure on people who leave the church, because the mormon faith teaches that non-members go to a different heaven then faithful church members. This means the family is split up in the afterlife if someone wants to leave. "Ok, you can leave the church, but you will never see mommy or daddy again."

Does that happen to catholics too? Sorry your going to hell so say goodbye to everyone you love if you leave our church?

It's nonsense. God is real, he loves everyone unconditionally. There is life beyond death. God doesn't care what church you go to on Sunday, nor does he care what petty sins you commit in this world. Love is the most important thing. Even the bibles' Jesus teaches this in John 13:34 "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." Jesus gave this commandment shortly before his death. The last commandment he gave before he left this world was Love.

I believe in Love. I don't believe that any religion on earth has a monopoly on truth. And there are many religions and more specifically the people that belong to religions, that do things contrary to Love. God isn't going to throw any of us away just because we fail to find the "correct" way of worshiping him/her. Scientific study on NDE's (near death experiences) show that people all over the globe and of all faiths have the same experience when they die. And all of them feel unconditional love, whether they are Muslims, Jews, attempted suicides, or sinners. God loves us all regardless.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Mormon's goal is not a worldwide theocracy, even when Jesus Christ comes we don't believe everyone will instantly be converted to the side of Christ. Only Christ in person could run anything remotely resembling a theocracy, no LDS prophet is promoting a theocracy outside of Christ returning to earth and doing whatever he sees fit whenever he does return.
edit on 23-10-2012 by bigrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure
But you can't blame the church! everyone has free agency the ability to make your own decision, If you don't want to be in a church then don't! but don't call us EVIL , Satan followers because we do more good services then sad little break ups in family's occur in our church!!

Its ridiculous. People (or ex Mormons) who make a big deal about leaving Mormonism and finding Christ through Christianity.

There are at least 3500 official "Christian" sects in the USA alone. Each has its own difference on the story of Christ and Christ is their savior.

Mormons are Christians too. Christ is their only Savior. Only in my experience Mormons feel insulted if you call them Christians.

Its just stupid. Just because Mormons believe something is sacred to devout believers - - - those who aren't a part of it make up all kinds of nefarious conspiracies.

Explain the whole vengeance on America clause to avenge the Death's of their prophets.

This was recited in the Day's of Romney's parents and grandparents.
If Romney gets in, he will ruin our country.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by supermarket2012

I am not arguing religious philosophy with you. That is not, nor was it ever my point. I am telling you factually the way it is based on current history, and the accepted opinion held by the mainline churches. Do you get the distinction?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
That is, in a word, bizarre. Certainly from the standpoint of a Bible-believing Christian! Now, don't get me wrong. Mormons have the right to believe whatever they want, but I think this video shows that they are really NOT Christian. Not what Biblical Christians call Christian. That requires accepting Jesus as being God. It's my understanding that Mormons call Him an angel. Big difference. Hence the cult label. Same reason, in fact, for JVs. Still their choice, but people need to understand it's a totally different belief system. Scientology was brought up, and I have to say, that is just as unreal, in my opinion. Probably more dangerous, too. At least from what I have seen! I don't trust any group that follows people for being outside their buildings, and makes videos of them. Seen that happen in videos. Seen news reports of abuses reported by former members, too. Some bizarre beliefs out there!

Yes, such things make me seriously worry about Romney, but I don't think that will stop him from winning. In this case, the alternative is worse.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
Do Mormon's accept the fundamental Christian teaching of the Trinity? The Christian doctrine of the Trinity defines God as three divine persons:

God is the Father
God is the Son
God is the Holy Spirit

The three are one in the same essence. According to this doctrine, there is only one God in three persons. Each person is God, whole and entire.

Do Mormon's fully accept this teaching?

This is a question that has a yes or a no answer.

edit on 21-10-2012 by MsAphrodite because: (no reason given)

LOL you mean the dogma that was rammed through a committee of Bishops at Nicea by Constantine?

The Mormons interpretation of the trinity makes much more sense then the Nicean creed BS which was nothing more then a bureaucratic decision and is not supported in scripture. Even back then the bureauRats couldn't do anything right. LOL!

It is amazing how so called Christians think they have some moral authority to decide who is christian or not. In my experience many people call themselves Christians but few are actually followers of Christ!

lets see are Mormons Christians:

Do they believe in ridiculous dogmas - Check
Do they not even know their own scriptures - Check
Do they think they are the only true church - Check
Do they think they represent God or Christ on earth - check
Do they think dead rituals will get them to heaven - Check

Yep they are Christians just like all the rest...

edit on 23-10-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatDivider

Originally posted by dollukka
reply to post by MsAphrodite

God is superior human but still flesh and blood.
Jesus is a brother of Satan, his crucifixion saved us from original sin.
There are countless Gods, every decent man can be raised as a God. Salvation is not in blood of Christ it is in polygamy.
There is no salvation outside their church, no female can be saved without a mormon husband.

Exactly, none of that is Christian. They are NOT Christians.

Actually it is all supported by biblical scripture except the polygamy part and that is not Mormon doctrine that salvation comes by polygamy. Polygamy used to be Mormon doctrine for what they call exaltation to reach Godhood but it has been abandoned by the mainstream Church all though there are fundamentalists break away sects that still believe and practice it.

They believe salvation is through the blood of Christ like all Christians.

Christ said he was the first of many brethren I have asked Christians who the many brethren were Christ was talking about and the consensus seemed to be they were the Angels of God. Satan was a fallen angel hence one of the many brethren of Christ he was referring too...

Christ appeared to the Apostles after death and resurrection and they were scared thinking he was a ghost and he told them not to be afraid and to touch him for a spirit does not have flesh and bone as I do. And of course resurrection refers to rising again why would you need to be raised again after death if you were only a spirit? only the dead body would have need of being raised again. (See Christians don't even know what their own scriptures teach)...

And females can be saved without husbands in Mormon belief they just cant be exalted to Godhood without being married...

edit on 23-10-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join