It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAP was started by some white guys

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Kudos for Rationality.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DENBY

Dearest DENBY,

I messed up, had a bad title to my OP and caused a problem; but, people like you and others reminded us that is was about the music. I cannot undue past mistakes; but, J. Geils did some nifty stuff and that was really all I meant to say. Can we at least agree that the J. Geils Band was inventive and did some novel things? That was all I really meant to say and I did it poorly.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

It was not your doing.
The sad fact is that there are those here who bring in tangents relevent only to their own agenda.
I am waiting for Ron Paul to be credited with Rap's development which theory will of course be debunked by Democrats insisting it began in the Kennedy White House.

And yes J G was good.

Love & Such

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yngvarr

Originally posted by 3chainz
That's not rap, that's just talking fast.

Umm… that's what cRap is.

No need for such a gross generalization. You probably think rap music is vapid and misogynistic, but that is a common misconception. I suggest that you do not base an entire genre of music solely off of what you hear on the radio, BET, MTV and other mass media outlets - it is not representative of what hip hop truly is.

I'm tempted to make a thread on hip hop and why it's arguably the most abused genre of music.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by DENBY

Dearest DENBY,

I messed up, had a bad title to my OP and caused a problem; but, people like you and others reminded us that is was about the music. I cannot undue past mistakes; but, J. Geils did some nifty stuff and that was really all I meant to say. Can we at least agree that the J. Geils Band was inventive and did some novel things? That was all I really meant to say and I did it poorly.

Don't keep beating yourself up about it dude, your OP wasn't that bad and it lead to some interesting convo.

It's obvious you didn't have a racial agenda, you were just making an observation. Let's move on guys.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

How about this guy?
:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I found this out a few months ago.An eyebrow was raised.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Check out Preachers Delight on youtube

Possibly the first recorded rap song, done in 1937 by the Gospel Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet, and the Jubaliares. The preacher and the bear sound just like rappers delight done by the sugar hill gang in 1979.

Now that was something to learn about today! Thank you for that. Amazing video. Here's the video:

For those wondering why the vocals don't quite line up with the video: Video cameras back in those days did not have microphones or sound. So, the song from the actual LP (record) had to be overlayed onto the silent video. Then the music from "Rappers Delight" was added later for more effect.

That makes the title of this thread........ INCORRECT...

Here's the song without the "Rappers Delight" overlay:

edit on 21-10-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Retards Attempting Poetry

Does it really matter who invented Rap? Music evolves people.
It's like trying to say who invented instrumentals or drum and bass music... Was it the tribal natives across the world beating on drums since the beginning of time?

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Not that this has anything to do with 'inventing' the genre but if I am not mistaken the first rap song that made the Billboard Pop and Rock charts was by Blondie with the song Rapture back in 1980. Good tune, got it on vinyl still.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
1944 ... but it's even much older than that, just renamed and reflected by whatever the present society is

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
music is music, it comes from everywhere and take from one another.... but in your case that a form of rap was invented by a white person is no different than us thinking columbus found america... and if we go back even, further, as i have heard a version from southeast asian.... their folks music dated hundred of years ago... sounds liek rap and poetry to me.... they rhyme and talk about their culture and how life circulates around their time.... so...ummm yea i really have no point, but you get the point lol

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

It's a little rap-like because he does some rhyming in the intro -- not like no other musicians haven't done that before then. The song itself certainly isn't Rap. Moreover, his riff sounds to be a partial rip-off of another Boston artist -- Johnathon Richman -- who did a similar schtick back in 1972. So no, the J. Geils Band was not a seminal Rap group/band.

That said, I did hear a very interesting radio interview with Peter Wolf. Seems as a young teenager he hung around/outisde of Blues nightclubs and ended up befriending a number of Blues Masters -- we're talking Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and such. He'd help them find a place to crash when they came through town and pointing them to the cheap liquor stores. So he clearly had some Blues/R&B influences -- as well as Soul, as one can hear in his music.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...(Jamaican) this has more to do with it than just some white guys...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I wouldn't call that rap, spoken word has been around a long time. Everyone points to the Blondie song as being the first rap but I remember in the mid 70's listening to a mix tape a friend got from his cousin in NY. It was recorded live during a block party and it was definately what we would consider rap. This was even before Afrika Bambata and his Planet Rock.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
I ask the readers to follow the link to a song by the J. Geils Band from 1976.

The J. Geils Band - Must of Got Lost (Live Version with Intro)

The intro to the song sure sounds like RAP to me. Does anyone know of an older RAP song?

ACTUALLY, the first "Rappers" were the traveling minstrels or troubadors of Medieval France. I believe they started rapping in the 1200s or 1300s. So 1976 is an EXTREMELY late date for this style of music.
edit on 22-10-2012 by maceov because: Left something out...

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It's actually even older than anyone has suggested in the thread.

en.wikipedia.org...

Pretty interesting read!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join