It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAP was started by some white guys

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I ask the readers to follow the link to a song by the J. Geils Band from 1976.

The J. Geils Band - Must of Got Lost (Live Version with Intro)

The intro to the song sure sounds like RAP to me. Does anyone know of an older RAP song?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Any Square dance music.

But really, why does it matter?
Music has been borrowed, musicians have used previous influences, from the beginning of time (signatures).
What goes around, comes around.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Dear sapcedoubt,

I totally agree; but, I think the band deserves some credit and they are rarely played. Heck, the first music videos were by black jazz players, there was a juke box that played the films in somewhere around the 30s and 40s and most people think MTV invented it. The post was not racial, more historical. I was listening to them and thought I might mention what they did do and the also did this song.

YouTube - J. Geils Band - No Anchovies, Please

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Check out Preachers Delight on youtube

Possibly the first recorded rap song, done in 1937 by the Gospel Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet, and the Jubaliares. The preacher and the bear sound just like rappers delight done by the sugar hill gang in 1979.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Ha ha, it was... A little white chick used to do it too... check 1:51 ish I think it starts? ???

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
Ha ha, it was... A little white chick used to do it too... check 1:51 ish I think it starts? ???

Blondie - Rapture.
A huge fan at the time, I though this rap really sucked.
I still think that about rap.
But I'm still a fan of Blondie.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The oldest rap song i heard was called the judge or something lemme find it

here it is

edit on 21-10-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Sounds more like stupid angry beatnik to me.

yep... stupid angry beatniks.. lmao.. Rap started out as actual music, what it is today is a joke of what it used to be.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
That's not rap, that's just talking fast.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
"The Music Man" A Broadway Musical from 1957 by Meridith Wilson.

The opening number is a Rap.

Prof. Harold Hill's first big number "Trouble" is as well.

Check out Sir Noel Coward (The Original 'Rapmeister') from the 1920s - 1930s. ("Mad Dogs & Englishmen")

Also Gilbert & Sullivan from the 19th century who arguably invented Rap.

Good Topic. S&F

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm sure there are a million things that sound like people rapping, but those things are not what sparked the genre that we all know today.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

I prefer to call it hip-hop, the genre we know today. I would certainly say some of these guys on these really old tunes are rapping.

ETA: In spite of that though, the trash that I've heard the last few years does not qualify as hip-hop in my humble opinion. There are very few real hip-hop artists left today.
edit on 21-10-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Rap is rhymes.(Albeit, some is just garbage) Rhymes are poetic.(For the most part) Some probably written by other people other than the artist. So I guess who ever invented words that sound the same and strung them into hopefully a coherent message did it. Were they Albinos? Deutschlanders? Moores? Spartans? Persians? I don't know. You know what race actually did it though? It was the Human race. There, now you know the truth.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
"RAP" has been around a long time it's just not really been called that...

Hell you could call spoken word poetry sessions at jazz clubs a form of rap .. it's just rhyming verse... I think to look at who "invented" rap, you probably need to look for when the term was first used.. otherwise it's just related to many other styles of artistic expression, musical and otherwise.

You could even say that Mike Patton was rapping in some of his faith no more hits.. those same hits that beat out Metallica for metal band of the year... ( Mike Patton is a genius by the way.. many artists look up to him.. )

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

Dear 3chainz,

Please describe what RAP is and why talking fast is not part of it. The first rap song in the mainstream RAP song was Michael McLaren' s Buffalo Gals and he was was just ripping off the black New York rappers (he also ripped off the Sex Pistols because he was their manager). Please post a song that sounds remotely like RAP prior to 1976, I will wait. Are you seriously going to tell me that what J. Geils did in that intro was just talking fast, not talent, no art, no rhythm. He was just talking fast. Have a great night.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Just because there were no RAP records before 1976 it doesn't mean RAP was not already an established style that had nothing to do with 'some white guys'.

RAP came from Hip-Hop, out of the Bronx in the mid 70's. It all came from DJ's, like Afrika Bambaataa, rapping over beats. It was huge in NY before anyone else ever heard of it. I'm not surprised it was ripped off by 'some white guys' before it became well known. 'Some white guys' have been ripping off black music since the 1940's.
I don't think those NY DJ's were listening to 'some white guys'.

'Rapper’s Delight', Sugar Hill Gang, I believe was one of the first RAP songs recorded, in 1978.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3chainz
That's not rap, that's just talking fast.

Umm… that's what cRap is.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yngvarr

Umm… that's what cRap is.

I'm not particularly a fan of RAP either but it deserves respect imo. Creativity is creativity, and our modern society seems to be doing all it can to stifle creativity. If all you can create is crap, then create the best crap you can! Just don't stifle creativity just because it doesn't meet your high standard of taste.

Beauty is in the eye...

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by 3chainz

Dear 3chainz,

Please describe what RAP is and why talking fast is not part of it. The first rap song in the mainstream RAP song was Michael McLaren' s Buffalo Gals and he was was just ripping off the black New York rappers (he also ripped off the Sex Pistols because he was their manager). Please post a song that sounds remotely like RAP prior to 1976, I will wait. Are you seriously going to tell me that what J. Geils did in that intro was just talking fast, not talent, no art, no rhythm. He was just talking fast. Have a great night.

Rap has a structure, like a poem. That guy was just talking real fast, there was no pattern or scheme to it. I didn't say it wasn't art.

Rap came from MC's talking over the song at a party, and then people started recording it and making actual songs. That was going up from the early 70's....it just took awhile for someone to actually try and make a genre out of it.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Your title is false.

Music historians believe that "the Blues" were being "rapped" as early as the 1920's. As early as the 1950's, Jazz musicians were performing songs called "jazz poetry" which eventually inspired "beat poetry."

www.squidoo.com...
1924 here. 52 yrs before your BS video.

And we all know rock came from the blues, and need I speak about Elvis?
something brash and snarky was once here
edit on 21-10-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join