It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Blows Secrets and Risks Lives In Document Dump Ahead of Debate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) compromised the identities of several Libyans working with the U.S. government and placed their lives in danger when he released reams of State Department communications Friday.

What a bastard. I suppose it's okay because they aren't Americans, right? But, what if it compromises Americans as a result?

My question is, will criminal charges be filled and if not, why not?

An indignant letter Issa and Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) sent to President Obama accompanied the 166 pages:

The official says had the State Department been given that opportunity, they would have pointed out which documents needed to be handled with extreme care so as not to endanger anyone. Issa did not redact the names of Libyans mentioned in the cables.

Genius of the GOP variety. How is the investigation supposed to move forward now if the Libyan contacts are compromised and probably going to be killed? What foreign person in their right mind is now going to trust the US Government with vital intelligence?

A spokesman for Issa says that the administration was given a chance to object to the posting. Officials at the White House and the State Department say that is not the case, and they only learned of the release when the documents appeared online.

I guess time will tell on that one, but I highly doubt Issa would have said a word in his zeal for a gotcha.

In a letter, ranking member Elijah Cummings called out Issa on the timing: “It seems obvious that your goal in sending a public letter at this time is to release the most negative and distorted view possible of the attack in Benghazi ahead of the presidential debate on Monday evening.” Cummings pointed out a request by Ambassador Chris Stevens’ family not to politicize his death as part of the campaign.
Your letter omits contradictory information from the very same documents it quotes, irresponsibly promotes inaccurate information, and makes numerous allegations with no evidence to substantiate them.
The fact is that the Committee has not spoken with a single official who was even in the country on the night of the attack in Benghazi and has not received a single classified briefing about the attack. To issue such a contorted and incomplete account of events three days before the upcoming Presidential debate undermines the legitimacy of the Committee and the credibility of its work.

I recommend reading both letters before posting.

What Issa has done is provided the very same terrorists that murdered 4 Americans with a hitlist of US allies. He should be charged with Treason.

msnbc

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Link

Issa posted 166 pages of sensitive but unclassified State Department communications related to Libya on the committee's website
reply to post by Kali74

Bad news is this information was sensitive not classified. Not secret info but sensitive info. I think Issa did this to prevent a use of Executive privilege by Obama like in Fast & Furious. Given the Administrations actions endangered US personal and Issa endangered Libyan lives I'll take Issa's approach given the options.[Not that either is a great choice] Ask yourself Kali, could Obama and the gang's vain glorious approach to Osama's death be part of the problem? It may score points at home but how do you think it go's with the extremist crowd? Remember that large parts of the world are not as "enlightened" as you. Dying for a cause is quite respectable in some areas even now. Don't let this distract from the actual problem. Our politician's will play the finger pointing game till everyone forgets what started the whole damn mess. This administration needs to grow a pair and actually deal with a problem without trying pass the blame on down the line. I would actually respect the administration if they didn't play pass the buck and made sure something like that never happens again. But we both know they wont and it will become politicized to score points for the election.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

What a bastard. I suppose it's okay because they aren't Americans, right? But, what if it compromises Americans as a result?

Where is your outrage over the 4 American’s killed and the administration that allowed it to happen, even after numerous requests for more security? I haven’t read your outrage on those issues?

Is it more important in this election season to denounce the GOP than murderous ME terrorists and a failed State Dept??

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Sensitive names are generally redacted, circumstances are generally redacted so individuals cannot be identified. No, this isn't okay by any stretch. Issa was careless, not only with releasing identities but, he was also keeping documents pertinent to the investigation hidden from the rest of the Intelligence Committee... he himself hampering the investigation he was so desperate for. He also cherry picked and misinformed. Please read the letters.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

even after numerous requests for more security?

There were none. That's the point. And again just because I'm not flailing my arms and running around screaming does not mean I wasn't upset over the attack. We shouldn't be there IMO nor anywhere in the ME or N. Africa. I highly doubt you were upset at all, you knew the value of such an attack before the election. I'm sure anger was the last thing you were feeling.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Yeah, Issa is a sure enough bonafide "Dick," no question about it. Just like the vast majority of the GOP representatives in Congress are and that's why we need to vote out the whole lot of them.

Remember Valerie Plame, anyone?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Kali74

Where is your outrage over the 4 American’s killed and the administration that allowed it to happen, even after numerous requests for more security? I haven’t read your outrage on those issues?

Is it more important in this election season to denounce the GOP than murderous ME terrorists and a failed State Dept??

Good points and the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP.

Seems this administration is pretty good at hanging Americans out to dry but then defends enemies of the US quite vociferously.

I think releasing any names for any reason that might endanger the individual named should be taken much more seriously than Washington takes it right now. Left or right it makes no difference.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I read them.

Treasonous?

Nope.

Reckless, well, yes. As reckless as WikiLeaks dumping sensitive documents..

Now, none of this would have happened, if it wasn't for Obama's failed foreign policies, and lies, that have forced it to this point.

MHO.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Assange is a journalist. Issa is the Chairman of the Intelligence Committee.
There is a huge difference.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I can only wish that this man is held to the same standard Bradley Manning is being held to currently for doing the same thing basically.

And Bradley did something that created less opportunity for someone to get hurt, than this dude did. . .

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by sonnny1

Sorry, but I cant buy that.

Putting any human life, in harms way, doesn't make it ANY different.

Kali, NONE OF THIS, wouldn't have happened, if this administration was honest, from the beginning. Because "executive privilege", is Obama's modus operandi, he did what he did. Right or wrong. Im still waiting for the reasons why no one has been brought to justice, after Mexican Nationals, and a US Agent were killed.........

Sorry, but I blame all deaths on Obama, his Administration, and failed foreign policies. The "buck" stops at his desk. Period.

edit on 20-10-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

There were none. That's the point.

Bull-Spit!!!!

ABC

Republicans on the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform have released new documents backing up claims by security personnel previously station in Libya that there was a shortage of security personnel in Benghazi.

The documents contain previously unreleased cables from Ambassador Stevens and his staff reflecting concerns about safety in the country.

The U.S. State Department did not have an immediate comment.

And that’s from ABC not FOX.

And again just because I'm not flailing my arms and running around screaming does not mean I wasn't upset over the attack.

I didn’t say flailing….I said you’ve stated NO outrage.

We shouldn't be there IMO nor anywhere in the ME or N. Africa. I highly doubt you were upset at all, you knew the value of such an attack before the election. I'm sure anger was the last thing you were feeling.

It’s not politics for me.

I’ve fought for my country…I care about Americans. It is Marines (like me) who are supposed to guard embassies, not Libyan civilian security guards as this administration provided.

I think your outrage is purposefully misplaced.

edit on 20-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
link

Your numerous claims about conducting a "bipartisan" investigation can no longer be taken seriously since you withheld from Democratic Members many of the documents quoted in your letter, despite my numerous requests that we work together responsibly, and in direct contradiction of House rules. Just because this has become common practice with this Committee does not make it any less of an abuse of your authority as Chairman. It denies Committee Members the ability to analyze documents before you make them public, and it prevents Members from evaluating the validity of your accusations.
reply to post by Kali74

Hmm so that's a problem? Again I say look at the hoops to get Holder to release the subpoenaed documents for that other investigation! I assert Issa is playing this just like the administration would.Why the story about a you tube video???? That is the part that smells fishy in all of this. A video no one knew about until the administration brought it up. The demonstration at the Egyptian consulate was a smoke screen for the attack in Benghazi and the administration ran with it. Sorry but in a country that just ended a civil war you don't have a skeleton crew manning your embassy. It's a invitation for a attack. I read the through all three links and I just see political posturing.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

What Issa released wasn’t classified!!

What’s your point?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Claims About "Normalization" Resulting in Reduced Security
Your letter claims that "the administration made a policy decision to place Libya into a
'normalized' country status as quickly as possible," and that security drawdowns were "aimed at
conveying the impression that the situation in Libya was getting better, not worse." However,
the only evidence you cite for this claim is a transcribed interview of Deputy Assistant Secretary
Catherine Lamb. Ms. Lamb never referenced any such decision in her testimony or her
transcribed interview before the Committee, and she certainly did not suggest that security
decisions were made for such purposes.
Your letter argued that the "administration's decision to normalize was the basis for
systematically withdrawing security personnel and equipment—including the much-needed DC-
3 aircraft." However, your letter omitted the explanation Ms. Lamb provided to the Committee:
The plane was not used to transport people back and forth to Benghazi or it was not used
for security purposes, it was just to bring our initial people and supplies in and out when
commercial airlines didn't exist.
Finally, your letter argues that Ms. Lamb told Mr. Nordstrom that "she 'would not
support' an extension of the SST." Your letter omits the fact that, during her transcribed
interview with the Committee, Ms. Lamb denied this allegation, stating:
He was not told not to ask. I told him that I would not support it if he had all his assets to
meet the numbers that he needed to do the workload that he could articulate.
Omission of Additional Facts That Contradict Your Assertions
In an effort to form your partisan narrative, your letter fails to acknowledge that Mr.
Nordstrom, who was critical of the State Department's personnel decisions, also had significant
praise for his superiors in the State Department and their actions in supporting security requests
from Libya.
During the Committee's hearing on October 10, 2012, Mr. Nordstrom testified that he
was "impressed with the plans that would send our team into Libya, a massive show of wellorganized resources."
He further stated:
The Department of State Diplomatic Security Service and Mission Libya officers
conducted themselves professionally and with careful attention to managing people and
budgets in a way that reflects the gravity of that task.
Mr. Nordstrom also stated emphatically that the "vast majority" of his resource requests
were "considered seriously and fastidiously by [Diplomatic Security] and the department." Mr.
Nordstrom's testimony also included a litany of security improvements that he was able to make
in Tripoli and Benghazi, with the full support and funding of his superiors.
Mr. Nordstrom's testimony was also corroborated by Mr. Oliveira, who explained to
the Committee during his transcribed interview that his requests for additional guards to rove the
Benghazi compound at night were approved "very, very quickly, very quickly."
1 3
He also
explained that it was clear that if they needed security assistance, he should never hesitate to
make the request, regardless of cost or potential contracting issues. He stated:
[T]hey made it very clear that I shouldn't be worried about that at all, that if we needed
that money, they would take the steps, go ahead and get the guards, and we'll take care of
getting you that money.

I thank-you for your service (somehow I knew that would be included in your response), I feel passionately about vets, however that doesn't automatically equal genuine outrage. I remain doubtful that you weren't happy about how bad this could make Obama look. I have a feeling this is going to backfire all over the GOP, as it should.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The point is this.

Even AFTER US Citizens were killed, Obama's failed Policies, have yet put even more lives at stake with his obfuscation, and unwillingness to do the right thing. Admit to his mistakes. Take REAL blame, and stop letting those, like Hilary Clinton, jump on the sword, for his failures. This whole thing reeks of Fast and Furious. Needless Deaths, that didn't have to happen.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Again I say look at the hoops to get Holder to release the subpoenaed documents for that other investigation! I assert Issa is playing this just like the administration would.Why the story about a you tube video???? That is the part that smells fishy in all of this. A video no one knew about until the administration brought it up.

The investigation into Fast and Furious is on-going. Don't get me wrong, I feel that all of Washington is full of filthy liars and traitors on both sides... but sometimes things, really dangerous things can be done to ensure a power shift, I think this is one of those times. The youtube video was what the administration was told was the cause, initially.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

The investigation into Fast and Furious is on-going. Don't get me wrong, I feel that all of Washington is full of filthy liars and traitors on both sides... but sometimes things, really dangerous things can be done to ensure a power shift, I think this is one of those times. The youtube video was what the administration was told was the cause, initially.

Spot on with Washington.

But.......this Administration ran with the Video, knowing Damn well it wasn't the cause.

None of them can wash the blood off their hands.......

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
How convenient that this comes out at the same time he is exposing the Obama medicare scandal. Isaa served a subpoena by coincidence, on Friday concerning this. Hmmm.... I would like to wait and see who was really responsible for those names getting out. According to Isaa, the "Whitehouse", Is the one who left them in. I think we should sit back and wait for proof as to what really happened. This could prove Obama corruption....
edit on 20-10-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Double

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join