It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I now work for a State Beauracracy that goes against all my beliefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I probably shouldn't mention names but I just got a job for a combination state/fed funded work that goes against all my personal beliefs but is the only thing I can do for a job until grad school. As a Libertarian I am firmly against all the red tape and beauracracy and "niceties" we're forced to use (I got in trouble for using the word "elderly" when I stopped a 90 year old woman from using the internet to go to a phony website just "setup for her" that she received in the mail basically instructing her to give them all her personal information in return for a vast amount of money). I mean what are you supposed to say if "elderly" is politically incorrect?

Anyways, the part I love about my job is that I can help people especially vulnerable ones and teach them classes in getting jobs and teach the computer naive how to use one (sometimes I want to slam my head in the table).

Also our state will be bringing up a new proposition which I support but can't talk about here ( and if you know it please don't talk about it either), but if I vote for it and it passes federal funds will get cut and even though I have a contract it could severly hamper my coworkers jobs even though they're in some union which I don't support because they work in the back office.

I was happy to get a cubicle and be part of something that can help people's lives for the better but everyday I see people, even people I know, that I went to HS with, to hopefully get a job it sucks to see them in these positions whcih they're obviously embarassed to see me around and usually don't stick around (I ran into an old homecoming dates bf, he litteraly knocked her up a week after HC and I took her because he was expelled from our HS, last memories I have of her is her once beautiful 15 year old body big as a balloon with a baby inside her and I asked her baby's dad if she still speaks to her or see's his kid which he replied "Not in years" >:-\

But besides unemployement, there's an even crappier form of unemployement which pays less and they have to attend for 7 hours a day 3-4 days a week our workshops to try and get them job.They only recieve 300 a month. And as great as the benefits I have, working 40 hours a week on a salary basis doesn't compare to if I worked 40 hours minimum wage which our state has the highest in the nation. But I guess it's waay less hectic than when I worked in a laboratory since I just have to put up with computer naive people. But since this is the only thing available for me and it should look great on future resumes I'll stick it out. But it goes against almost all political beliefs I have.

So I just want to know if other people are in the same position? And do you just have to swallow your pride so your family won't call you a moocher living off your parents money or something similar? And even if you think you might know what I work for please don't bring it up. I just want to know other's positiions.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Welcome to the working world where we trade off our labor for cash. I understand what you saying but in reality you are the one making the choice to work there. No one else, If it really bothers you that much look for another job. I have had many jobs from sales to construction. If I was dissatisfied then I found another.

I work on foreclosed homes and I hate the banks! The loans went bad and folks lost their homes. I feel bad for some of them but many of us bought down because we couldn't afford to go first class. Much of the fraud by the banks came after the loans went bad but some of the fraud was on the front end with the bank and consumer "winking" at each other.

Life is a beech, welcome to the party!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I understand.

Both parents worked for and retired from the state of Michigan.

Good work if you can get it. It is not your fault.

Gov decides to put people to work like that.

Voters decide who to put up as Gov. In fact, we get what we vote for most of the time. This last group even told us what they were going to do, and kept most of their promises, and did quite a bit of expansion of the Gov. We voted for that...

If it were not you in that job it would be someone else.

edit on 20-10-2012 by kawika because: afterthought

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

You seem to genuinely enjoy helping people but you say that it 'goes against all your beliefs.' Perhaps you don't truly believe what you think you do. What you do doesn't sound anything like a beauracracy.

You're obviously allowed to have your personal opinions and ideas on funding certain things but I hope that this experience gives you an oppurtunity to see that not all the money is simply thrown at union members and actually, truly, really does help a good number of people.

I don't want to sound too harsh or condescending or anything like that but it sounds to me like you've encountered something that you hadn't expected and you're now uncomfortable with it as it's not entirely what you thought it would be.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
A job is a job, it pays the bills.

Life is all about choices. It's your choice.

Trying to help people isn't such a bad job.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
boo hoo

suck it up and do your job

no one made you take it

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Yeah you're right I guess I should be thankful. And even if it goes against my beliefs it's not like I can get a job somewhere else even tho I'm a college grad with 4 college degrees. The state of WA has the highest minumum wage $9.10 but I get paid salary and 40 hours of work each week doesn't even come close to what I would get if I was paid minimum wage. However I do get benefits as a fed employee, and I get nearly 6K at the end of my service to pay off college loans or to pay for my grad school. I dunno I just thought I had to rant maybe I should be thankful that I'm even got a job that should hopefully looks really good on my resumes in the future.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Right now a job is a job thank your lucky stars you got one. Though I am not unsympathetic, I do understand your predicament but at this point to me I'd take whatever job I could that paid a decent wage (THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE MCD'S OR WALMART!!! AS THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT LIVING WAGE)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I have applied for Gov jobs a few times. The experience and education requirements are nutty high. And I think the one I wanted was only for retired officers (not Chiefs).

But it is in fact the only growth industry at present .

You can find all the Gov jobs here

www.usajobs.gov...
edit on 21-10-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
You're in grad school and a job is hard to come by these days...

If you really don't believe in working for the government, find a new job and wait until you're hired to turn in your resignation letter.

Another way to look at it...

If you quit, someone else would just take the job and they might not be as compassionate as you are in terms of helping people. So if you're a good guy that likes to help others and the people you're working with are those that need help and compassion, you might as well stay..

new topics

top topics

join