It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hughie Green: “Peripheral Witness to Roswell”? - I Mean That Most Sincerely Folks

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

What has Hughie Green got to do with all this madness?

It’s the most famous of all UFO stories, a mystery, a myth or a mistake depending on what you believe. A whole industry has been built around it.

The Roswell story broke on 8th July 1947 when it was featured on the front page of the Roswell Daily Record. “RAAF Capture Flying Saucer on Ranch in Roswell Region” the paper proclaimed. It then seemingly disappeared after the US Military declared it was all a mistake and simply a weather balloon. The lid was firmly clamped down and the world forgot about the incident for more than 30 years. Little was heard of the case after the summer of 1947. Or so it seems.

However in 1955 the first issue of Flying Saucer Review (FSR) was produced in Great Britain. It included a story about Hughie Green

Hughie Green was a British TV presenter, who was taking a solo trip by car from Hollywood to Philadelphia during the summer of 1947. To kill the boredom he was listening in to various broadcast radio stations.

Green recalled that he whilst driving across the USA he heard numerous radio reports that a flying saucer had crashed in New Mexico and that the United States army were moving in to investigate. After promises that the story would be updated he then recalls everything went silent.

About 250 miles out of Philadelphia, he recalled:

“A commentator interrupted a programme to make the announcement that a saucer had crashed in New Mexico, and that the Army were moving in to investigate. Later the programme was interrupted again, and quite a few details given. Several news flashes about the incident, from various radio stations, followed. The last I heard was just before reaching Philadelphia. The announcer promised further bulletins. None followed. When I got to Philadelphia I bought all the newspapers I could lay my hands on. But not one carried the story, and questions at the radio station just drew a blank. It’s mystified me ever since”

Whilst this seems to be a very rare, if sketchy, recollection just 8 years after the Roswell incident the article goes on to state.

“Do the Americans have a flying saucer in their possession? Reports from America suggest that the US has more that one. More than one or parts of one at Wright Patterson Field……Flying Saucer enthusiasts all over the world believe there is some truth in the story but that it is being as carefully guarded as any atomic or military secret for fear of causing public panic.”

The story was later repeated in a 1979 edition of FSR covering UFO crash retrievals. Although there was no specific mention of the exact location of a crash other than the state of New Mexico in 1947.
Some later rumours have placed Hughie Green as being stationed at Roswell at the time of the alleged UFO incident but that is far from the truth.

Shortly before he died, Hughie Green was asked about the incident by an inquisitive researcher, Nabil Shaban in a series of letters.

Source : members.tripod.com...

Green’s initial recollections placed the incident around 1957, and he said that the crash was located at a location called Tucumcari.

However when provided with the original clipping from FSR and questioned about the year, Hughie Green replied

Green was a British born TV presenter most famous for presenting the show “Opportunity Knocks” into the 1970s. He had a colourful history and in later years it was revealed that he was the illegitimate father of Paula Yates. Yates was once married to Bob Geldof, of the Boomtown Rats and organiser of Live Aid, and then got involved with Michael Hutchence of INXS. Both she and Hutchence are no longer with us. That is a whole different story.

But this rather bizarre tale is one of the very few Roswell stories that went to print post 1947 and before the late 1970s. Not only that it appears to back up the tales that something very strange was going on in New Mexico in 1947.

It all comes down to whether we believe Hughie Green as sincerely as he once asked us to.

Sources:

members.tripod.com...

sjhstrangetales.wordpress.com...

roswell.greyfalcon.us... Flying Saucer Review No.1 - 1955

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

If Hughie Green's recollection are accurate and that local radio stations were correct stating that the craft landed near Tucumcari then this is some distance from the "alleged" crash site at Corona and the Brazel Ranch and also a lot further to the North and East. It could have been the reports were wrong or that the incident he was talking about was not related to Roswell at all. It seems too much of a coincidence though for it to have been something else.

Given the lack of replies I am not sure anyone found this story of much interest.

To me it added something else to the Roswell story that I had not known before. It also highlighted that speculation did not die away in the summer of 1947 and was still being talked of in the 1950s with belief that something was hidden away at Wright Patterson and/or Edwards Air Force base. The story was not killed immediately and even reached Britain.

Does anyone out there have any more knowledge of or an opinion about Hughie Green's story?

edit on 21/10/12 by mirageman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is a good and detailed series of posts and I'd guess many of us are still digesting it all and following up the links.

Your efforts are appreciated,

edit on 18-1-2013 by squarehead666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageman

Excellent post, good find.

More "Real" evidence that something happened and then covered up quickly.
Gives credence to all the "1947" stories from the very late 70s-80s...

Not sure about the night time Car Illustration though.....I dont think there were too many '63 Ford Galaxys in 1947.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Something like that crossed my mind while reading the thread...The cars here in England in

1947 were like square boxes didn't travel very fast, no radios as standard (anyway I imagine

reception would have been poor, I can remember the contraptions for ariels and that the

'home' radio had to face in a particular direction to get a decent reception
)....AND

very few people had cars.

American cars shown in films at the time were wooden sided 'shooting brakes' and only being

a short while since the war, I would imagine it would have been much the same as here in that

not many people owned a car, and would mobile radio reception be that good??

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Yep that car is definitely out of time. Truth is that it was a graphic for another post that never saw the light of day .

Hughie Green did serve in the Canadian Air Force and I thought first he may have been driving a military vehicle in 47. However the original source of the story is from 1955 and states Green was a stage and radio star. So I guess it was a private civilian vehicle and radio would have been fairly patchy as he travelled across the country.

Overall it's an interesting story and adds a bit more weight to Roswell.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

It's 1947, not the middle ages! Car radios had been around for nearly 40 years!

See this link for a date line. www.carhistory4u.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Well this is a great thread and worthy of a S&F ... I'd certainly never heard of the Hughie Green connection but of course we found out after his death that there was much more to him that 'Opportunity Knocks'

It's always good to get some fresh information connected to the Roswell incident ... thanks for bringing it to our attention I shall be following this thread with interest

Woody

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dowot
reply to post by eletheia

It's 1947, not the middle ages! Car radios had been around for nearly 40 years!

See this link for a date line. www.carhistory4u.com...

Your link doesn't work? but I did look around the web for info and although that technology

was around...like everything new it is some time before it trickles down to 'ordinary' folk.

But what I can say about 1947 is I did travel in cars at that time and not many people owned

cars never mind 'any extras' in them
. Were you ever in a car in 1947? I have also owned

a 1936 MG TA....double de clutching and no radios there

Just as an instance TV's have been around for nearly the same amount of time, but prior to

1953 no 'ordinary folk' owned one....My family owned the first one in our street in 1953

bought specifically for the 'coronation' and half the street crowded in to watch.

And just in passing I did not know Hughie Green put I had met him......

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Excellent thread ... and I do Mean That Most Sincerely

I have some memory of Hughie Green but I was a child when he was on the box and found Opportunity Knocks boring , this is very interesting though ... Debris from unusual craft eh , I wonder just how unusual these craft are ?

This is the first time I've heard of this so thanks , I kinda see Hughie in a different light now

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

You made a nice opening post, but it does not really matter what Green says, because Roswell happened anyway. Disc crashed, aliens were found. This is old news. Why aren't all of you fluent in, and beyond this story by now? Is ATS full of beginners when it comes to UFO lore?

It's like picking up the Bible and constanly reading God created man".

Uh, yeah. Duh!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There is also a story that Howard Hughes may have seen the remnants of the UFO crash at Roswell and dead aliens (from Bill Knell). Definitely one for the "grey basket" .

www.loupdargent.info...

The story comes from "Linda", the daughter of one of Howard Hughes employees who claims he was asked for advice from the billionaire. Hughes told her dad that he had been contacted by a “high ranking member of the United States Armed Forces” while he was in Washington, D.C.

The billionaire was used to receiving unusual requests from the military. He was known as someone that could keep a secret and solve complicated problems. According to Linda’s father, this one might have been the mother of all the most secret and complicated situations that the government ever faced.

Hughes said that he visited a military base on the way back from the congressional hearings. He didn’t mention where it was located and provided few details about what happened there. Her father said that Hughes seemed uncomfortable talking about his visit to the base. He hated situations that he couldn’t personally control and seemed to indicate that the entire event was orchestrated and controlled by the military.

With the exception of Hughes, no civilians were present. Howard said that they showed him a new type of aircraft. Most of it was in pieces and it was obvious that the thing had crashed or been shot down. Hughes assumed it might have been something that the Russians cooked up.

It wasn’t until Hughes got closer to the material that he noticed it was anything but conventional. He didn’t pick up or touch any of it, but told Linda’s father that it looked like “the damnedest stuff I’ve ever seen.” The military officers present told him that despite the fact that it was in pieces, the material was extremely resistant to heat, cold and pressure. They also said that it was almost impossible to penetrate, yet it might have been an implosion that caused the crash.

Howard never said if it had any writing on it and provided no further details about the material or the aircraft. Hughes told Linda’s father that the dead bodies of the crew members from the aircraft had also been recovered by the military and were mostly intact. He said they allowed him to view the bodies and described them as looking like “dwarves” or “deformed midgets” wearing seamless flight suits. He added no details about where or how they were being kept. Instead, he got right to the point. “They want me to figure this thing out and I want you on board,” Hughes explained. That was the end of their meeting.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Two stories I've never heard about Hughie Green before, I believe him but I'm not always the best judge of who is telling the truth. It's always good to hear of more witnesses even if it was just that he heard the broadcast, I sure don't believe it was a weather balloon.

I can also believe he was Paula Yates father, there must be a lot of kids out there with famous dads that are kept secret because of who they are. Thanks for posting this information.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Just want to let you know, there was no mention of Tucumcari in the book I've been reading. There was a witness who claims to have found a crashed saucer and bodies on the Plains of San Agustin, it looks a long way from Tucumcari.

At Roswell, they found an egg shaped pod, in the book they think it was an escape pod or the inner part of the craft. I think it could have been a scout ship they used as an escape pod, in my opinion, the pod must have come from a larger craft. The craft could have landed or crashed elsewhere, so it could have come down on the Plains of San Agustin or in Tucumcari. It might even be possible that there was another pod that we never got to hear about.

All the paperwork connected to the Roswell crash was destroyed, hidden or changed. So if there was a larger craft, they would have done the same with that and everyone would have thought the pod was the craft. This could be a missing a piece of the puzzle, the people in the Roswell area wouldn't have known if the craft had come down elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LEL01

Hello again LEL01,

It's possible Hughie Green was mistaken and misheard something about Tucumcari that was part of the radio broadcast. Or maybe something really was happening there and the original Roswell story was all a smokescreen for something else going on?

I have to say that the materials picked up on the Brazel ranch tend to fit the description of some kind of weather balloon. If the metal was so hard to bend and break and burn then how come the thing fell apart and was strewn across miles of pasture?

The questions has to be whether the USAAF at Roswell issued the famous declaration that they had a "flying disk" and it was on it's way to Wright Field for further investigation to cover up something else?
Maybe a weather balloon was part of a UFO crash? Maybe something a lot more down to earth but also very sensitive was going on?

All we really know is that something happened out in New Mexico that prompted the base to issue a press release. After that the story goes in so many different directions it's impossible to know what really happened.

Whilst the pro-UFO and alien stories are often a good and entertaining read it's also worth venturing across to the dark side and reading some of the more sceptical literature (which is often free as well)

home.comcast.net... is a good starting point.

Then try to make your own mind up.

edit on 9/10/13 by mirageman because: spelling

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I made my own mind up a long time ago and the sceptics have never made me doubt Roswell. I do read what sceptics have to say and they often make me see things in a different light, but not on Roswell.

There was more than one kind of metal found and I can't say if an alien spaceship would have I -beams or not, but the ranchers were always picking up balloons that came down, so it's not unreasonable to think that some mogul parts could have got mixed in with the other debris. I'm not saying that's what happened, it's just another "could have."

I did wonder if Hughie Green could have been mistaken or the radio broadcaster could have got it wrong. Just thinking of our news people putting their own spin on things there.

I was about to post a thread when I got some really bad news so I had to put it off for a while but I will try to post it soon.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LEL01

If you have made your mind up about Roswell after reading the sceptical opinions then I completely respect that. I am still a little bit doubting that whatever fell onto the Brazel ranch was actually parts of a spacecraft.
But I do think something strange was going on. The military have made a number of attempts to explain their original story of a captured "disc" away and none of those have been completely convincing either.

Looking forward to your thread and hope the bad news wasn't too serious.

MM

top topics

join