It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Psychedelic Shows of Your Youth Affect Your Mind Today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

It is eventually revealed that ALF's home planet Melmac exploded because of a catastrophe involving nuclear war. The alien was a gardener on his planet.

OMG how on MELMAC did I forget about ALF! I LOVED that show. I want to be a gardener so bad! All I have right now is a 3 foot long flower bed the local stray cats use for a litter box.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
reply to post by AwakeANDreaming

Well, I am not a bona-fide conspiracy theorist, so I don't buy the possibility that we are all being purposely programmed by any one entity or group.

I see culture, and the way it conditions and forms the early forming minds of it's members, as something rather organic in nature. It grows, it reproduces, memes do not need any specific self consciousness to propel them into a direction of survival and reproduction... just general consciousness that tends to be attracted to patterns.

I do, however, believe in the collective consciousness and sub-consciousness, that is extremely powerful, and that is the biggest challenge to the notion of "free will".

edit on 21-10-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

I agree with you about not buying the possibility that one group is purposely programing us. I see that mostly fear mongering to a great extent.

A couple years ago I had an encounter with what I now believe to be the collective subconscious, extremely powerful would be an understatement! At that stage in my life I had not read any of Jung's work, and I am thankful I came across it when I did for sure. Trying to integrate certain experiences can be hard on your psyche. I believe you mentioned you had an ET encounter of sorts, so I am sure you could relate on some level.

Thanks again for your insightful post.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

A-Team
Smurfs
Alf
Transformers
He-Man: Masters of the Universe

I remember a lot from the 80s.

OK this I can relate to!

Finally some real shows!!!! (apart from the smurfs which I hated - compensation came with Ducktales and Inspector Gadget hehe)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by UziLiberman

Are you serious?!?

The 90's were the prime of cartoons. Depending on what programs you tuned into.

Im mostly referring to Disney movies and such that came out during that time. Remembering such things is often painful. Nostalgia can be debilitating, just look at Michael Jackson.

If you compare the cartoons of today to those of the early 90's, you will see how far downhill it has gone. If you have seen shows like Adventure Time and Gumball you would know what I am talking about.

There were also a lot of non-cartoons that were good during that time.

Edit: I must add that much of what I saw while growing up in the early 90's was from an earlier era, I'm just glad that my parents monitored my TV use, I am sure there is a lot of crap from the 90's that could have seriously messed me up

Edit 2: Here is some examples: The Lion King, All Dogs Go To Heaven, The Secret of NIMH, Ducktales, An American Tail, The Land Before Time, The Rescuers (and the sequel) , Robin Hood, Boy Meets World, Looney tunes, and stuff like that.

Ya I know most are not shows, but those are what really stuck with me. Im sure there is a ton I am missing too.

edit on 21-10-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I am trying to find a '64 Colgate Palmolive commercial, featuring a black woman being catered to by Madge.

Can't find it. It was a sticking point in my life, as I recall clearly every action I did upon seeing it, what I drew, and a few things I can't openly discuss. I know I had just returned from a trip to the hospital, and had been meddled with, severely. I think I hurt the doctor, and made a mess of some of his devices. Whatever happened, backfired, and they provoked a very real force, one that opposes them, in me.

The commercial was a trigger.

They have no idea how effed they are, just for the thought that they had some kind of right to use that which they now have in near full operation. More is the pity, and I have none.

(Look to your computer complexes hid in utah, satellites, and microwave ULF marriages for what I refer to as 'nearly fully operational'~lest there be confusion as to what I intended).

Oh, they're effed. Above, below, inside and out.

edit on 21-10-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
That Twilight Zone episode with the kid who also played "Will" in Lost in Space....that episode
still shows up in my dreams.....

And the this show as well....the villains always gave me the creeps
THE MIGHTY HEROES

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Tiny Toon Adventures.
youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Psychedelic Shows ? .. you mean the ones on the screen or the ones in my mind.. cus ya know.. there IS a difference.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I keep on wondering why you call this psychedelic?
I grew up without TV - apart from seeing a couple of black and white shows at Granny's once every month or so. It was just one experience among many, girls and nature and art and poetry being far more intense and significant for me.

There might be a connection between a certain type of television and the psychedelic experience, I just don't see it, and you may want to spell it out.
I'll ask my brother though, he has watched more TV than I did, being nine years younger.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yes - weve been manipulated &, yes - were being influenced...

Perhaps the programing was just a little more creative or colorful back then as a reflection of the culture of the times~

Mixed in though throughout is actual pure intentioned imagination ~

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

You must be around my age because that's the same stuff I watched.
Speed Racer definitely did something to my driving habits and my grandfather used to run moonshine so I guess it's in my blood to drive fast.
Sid and Marty Croft were insane and I loved Sigmund and the Sea monsters, Dr Shrinker and Electro Woman and Dina Girl.
The Sat morning cartoons were great and they definitely put a lot into our heads, the proof is simply the fact that we remember them.
Thundarr the Barbarian; we're almost there, aren't we?

edit on 21-10-2012 by chefc14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I forgot one just listen to the opening phrase.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Sid and Marty Kroft's H.R. PufnStuf. We know what that dragon was smoking!

Some movies and TV shows from my childhood that infected my subconscious are . . .

The Outer Limits, Twight Zone, One Step Beyond

The Movie "Fearless Vampire Killers"

There was a movie called I believe, "Trilogy of Terror" where three people on a train are having their Tarot cards read. It starred Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

A movie called "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies"

Jay Ward Cartoons

I'm sure I can add more, don't have time right now.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeANDreaming

I suppose I left out the most important part, the conspiracy. The question would be is this being done intentionally by a group of people to influence young minds? And if so, who is doing it? Is it being done with our best interest in mind?

Or is this just kind of an unintentional effect when we/consciousness create something? No matter what we will be influenced by what we create intentionally or not.
edit on 20-10-2012 by AwakeANDreaming because: (no reason given)

I have thrown this name out on ATS so many times that I don't even try to count. It is ignored every single time. Even when I do something like I am doing now.....point out that everyone ignores it.

Which makes me think that people don't ignore it, but rather they choose to ignore due to cognitive dissonance. No one wants to be told that the education they take so much pride in is purposefully shoddy and poor.

Read up on Charlotte Iserbyte (i have thrown out her name again). She is a former US Department of Education official under Reagan. She resigned because of collusion with the USSR to keep the masses in a state of stupidity.

Anyone who is brighter than the rest is scooped up and put in a national laboratory (ARL/AFRL/LANL/LLNL, etc). The rest of us are left to work in our imposed ignorance.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I remember being stunned by The holy mountain movie. Then growing up and trying '___'....about 50 times and wow I still believe it is the most confounding experience you can have while still alive. After this life changes, you can never see things the same again, I saw past lives, different species and dimensions. It is the greatest thing you can experience on this planet....atm. If you die without trying it, you have really missed probably the best reason for even existing.

Have I hyped it up too much, not even close, its impossible to overrate '___'. There are no human words or examples in this simple dimension to compare it. You all have no idea how much is accessible to you. '___' is the thing everyone on ATS is looking for and you don't even know it. I have given you all the true key to access more than you can even handle....but still most will browse past this post and miss the only thing you really need to know about.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

(thanks for the kind words) Yeah, I relate to what you are talking about in your own experiences, in that I went through a period which I think now was delving into the collective consciousness , which included all kinds of paranormal experiences, including abduction type. For me also, it was Jung that helped me make some sense out of it- at least enough for me to be able to move on past it.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

i can still feel my mind being programmed by the super-hype of the superfriends

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Psychedelic Shows ? .. you mean the ones on the screen or the ones in my mind.. cus ya know.. there IS a difference.

The title came from from the source. I believe what the author is saying is maybe some of these shows you think were in your mind actually happened.

We may wonder if these memories ever really happened, or if they were dreams. Especially when the memories seem incredibly bizarre! Having grown up in the 70s, I caught a LOT of psychedelic stuff on TV as a kid that I’ve become obsessed with tracking down as an adult.

As for the "Psychedelic" title the author grew up in the 70's so it stands to reason cartoons were more "trippy" in the 70's.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
I forgot one just listen to the opening phrase.

NOT THIS WITCH AGAIN! I grew up in the 80's and missed this "gem" thankfully. For some reason this silly witch creeps me the heck out more than she should.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kokatsi
I keep on wondering why you call this psychedelic?
I grew up without TV - apart from seeing a couple of black and white shows at Granny's once every month or so. It was just one experience among many, girls and nature and art and poetry being far more intense and significant for me.

There might be a connection between a certain type of television and the psychedelic experience, I just don't see it, and you may want to spell it out.
I'll ask my brother though, he has watched more TV than I did, being nine years younger.

We may wonder if these memories ever really happened, or if they were dreams. Especially when the memories seem incredibly bizarre! Having grown up in the 70s, I caught a LOT of psychedelic stuff on TV as a kid that I’ve become obsessed with tracking down as an adult.

SOURCE ARTICLE

A psychedelic experience is characterized by the striking perception of aspects of one's mind previously unknown, or by the creative exuberance of the mind liberated from its ostensibly ordinary fetters.

Psychedelia

It makes sense in context if you read the article included in the OP. He is saying some of these things may remain dormant in your mind below your awareness level.
edit on 21-10-2012 by AwakeANDreaming because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join