It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Princeton Quantum Computing Breakthrough

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Breakthrough Offers New Route to Large-Scale Quantum Computing

The finding, by a team led by Princeton physicist Jason Petta, could eventually allow engineers to build quantum computers consisting of millions of quantum bits, or qubits. So far, quantum researchers have only been able to manipulate small numbers of qubits, not enough for a practical machine.

To put it into perspective,

As IBM points out, a 250-qubit quantum computer would contain more bits that there are particles in the universe.

We're talking about millions of qbits, as opposed to current experimental numbers of only tens of qbits. That's quite a leap.

To make the transfer, Petta's team used a stream of microwave photons to analyze a pair of electrons trapped in a tiny cage called a quantum dot. The "spin state" of the electrons -- information about how they are spinning -- serves as the qubit, a basic unit of information. The microwave stream allows the scientists to read that information.

In an ordinary sense, the distances involved are very small; the entire apparatus operates over a little more than a centimeter. But on the subatomic scale, they are vast. It is like coordinating the motion of a top spinning on the moon with another on the surface of Earth.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I work in a related field and I still think Quantum Computers are a terrible Idea.

Think of the domestic uses. The implications on privacy or governmental control are too great of a risk in my opinion.

The enigmatic dark side would employ them for evil!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Explanation: S&F!

They have a 2^300 qubit computer in Australia that takes up a whole room in size!

This is so much more computing power than that has ... its OBSCENE!

2^1000000 [minimum .. they said PLURAL millions] is so huge it makes stuff like 1 x 10^150 seconds [guestimated life of protons, IF they ever decay, and therefor potential maximum lifespan of known universe] look SO SMALL that one could iterate and simulate every possible universe that could ever possibly have been, being or could be in like under a second.

THAT COMPUTING POWER IS WITH A 1cm^2 chip!

Say goodbye to all old and current codes and the secrets they contain ... and say hello to new codes and new secrets.

Personal Disclosure: Who needs outerspace anymore or even science ... this one thing may answer everything forever.

Edited to add link to the Australian 300 qubit quantum computer article ...

Researchers claim quantum breakthrough
(Connor Duffy and staff, Thursday, 26 April 2012) [abc.net.au]

Experts believe quantum computing is moving to a stage where it is so far out in front and performing such complex tasks it will be difficult to check if it is working accurately.

"They're not easily checked by a classical computer which opens a whole variety of problems," says Biercuk.

And he adds that there is still plenty of work to be done before quantum computers start appearing on desks in homes and offices.

"The central element is something like a millimetre in diameter, 300 atoms that are suspended in space," says Biercuk.

"But of course everything depends on a huge amount of technical infrastructure around it. There are vacuum chambers and pumps and lasers, and all of that takes up something like a room."

edit on 20-10-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling.

edit on 20-10-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add the Edit with link and quoted text.

edit on 20-10-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix broken ex bbcode

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

That's an interesting point; then again don't you think that commercial, consumer available quantum computers would turn that into a two-way street? There could possibly be ways of countering surveillance, and other ways to gather information that keeps the authorities in check. Take a look at the modern computer age, and see that although it's taken away a lot of privacy, much of that is due to people willingly saying anything and everything via social networking. At the same time, the internet and rapid spread of information allows more people to see corruption, conspiracies, and anti-human acts occurring on a global scale.

So I believe this is a two-way street. Either we allow the financial/political elite to govern us completely, or we shut them off from their disgusting power-grab. I doubt quantum computers will stop people from retaliating against a tyrannical, fascist regime.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I am very ignorant when it comes to this subject. Could previous posters dumb down their opinions for the laymen who will read this thread?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Very interesting post. I agree that with a leap like this, it could open up new paths of computing, and completely change our perception of things.

What do you think about it being used for simulating sentient, intelligent lifeforms? Alternate, observable realities & worlds?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Explanation: St*rred!

IT MAKES US GODS!

Personal Disclosure: I for one welcome our new technical singularity overbeing.

As a New Angel I will require a job as a Noble Demon thanks!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
They have had quantum computers since the 40's and 50's as classified technology so who knows how far along they are in development. There are serious philosophical implications to ownership of technology like this. Not only can it crack any encryption that is not amply padded with entropy, things like stock market cycles and political control could be modeled to the QC owners benefit.

Probably on the unobtainium lists along with nuclear tech. If SPIE sells out to the highest bidder we are screwed.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
I am very ignorant when it comes to this subject. Could previous posters dumb down their opinions for the laymen who will read this thread?

Thanks in advance.

To really begin grasping it, you should do some research. To be honest I barely even understand it. There are classical bits, and then qbuits. A classical bit can either be a 0 or a 1. A qbuit can represent all states between 0 and 1. This opens up many new possibilities in the computing realm.

Standard computers store information as classical "bits," which can take on a value of either 0 or 1. These bits allow programmers to create the complex instructions that are the basis for modern computing power.

The power of a quantum computer comes from the strange rules of quantum mechanics, which describe the universe of subatomic particles. Quantum mechanics says that an electron can spin in one direction, representing a 1, or in another direction, a 0. But it can also be in something called "superposition" representing all states between 1 and 0. If scientists and engineers can build a working machine that takes advantage of this, they would open up entirely new fields of computing.

"The point of a quantum computer is not that they can do what a normal computer can do but faster; that's not what they are," said Houck. "The quantum computer would allow us to approach problems differently. It would allow us to solve problems that cannot be solved with a normal computer."

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
They have a 2^300 qubit computer in Australia that takes up a whole room in size!

The one in Australia is not a full blown quantum computer its a quantum simulator.
dvice.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

I work in a related field and I still think Quantum Computers are a terrible Idea.

The enigmatic dark side would employ them for evil!

i heard they already have one runnin' the chemtrail program, among other things!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheElectricAnt

Explanation: Uhmmm?

Now, quantum computers like this are still very specialized tools. This one, specifically, is a "quantum simulator," which means that it's been designed to simulate quantum systems themselves, something that's practically impossible to do with a traditional computer. So for example, this quantum computer can simulate the spin interactions of quantum magnetic fields, which may ultimately lead to new insights about high temperature superconductivity, a potentially transformative technology. Oh, and there's also something about "engineering totally new forms of quantum matter," and that sounds pretty cool too.

I know what I wrote was highly accurate!

Personal Disclosure: You might want to seriously reconsider your position ok! :shk:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Your explanation helped. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Using a variety of techniques in the IBM labs, scientists have established three new records for reducing errors in elementary computations and retaining the integrity of quantum mechanical properties in quantum bits (qubits) – the basic units that carry information within quantum computing. IBM has chosen to employ superconducting qubits, which use established microfabrication techniques developed for silicon technology, providing the potential to one day scale up to and manufacture thousands or millions of qubits.

uhh... i think this desribes what the're try to make. uhh...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal

I've been a big opponent of "forbidden science" in the past; The idea that the fundamental physics the public is told is wrong and that the physical science discipline as a whole is hiding things.

But I would be willing to believe that something like the exact specifications for a working quantum computer could be effectively concealed for awhile at least and used only by Government in secret. This is a scary thought, and even more frightening if you think about the commercial uses. Companies could predict and model our buying habbits and other actions with such accuracy, they could in-effect control the populations trends, interests, motives, morals, etc completely. Scary thought. But sounds strangely familiar.
edit on 20-10-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

i'm trying to embed this

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

A picture of IBM’s “3D” superconducting qubit device where a qubit (about 1mm in length) is suspended in the center of the cavity on a small Sapphire chip. The cavity is formed by closing the two halves, and measurements are done by passing microwave signals to the connectors. Despite the apparent large feature size (the cavity is about 1.5 inches wide) for this single qubit demonstration, the team believes it is possible to scale such a system to hundreds or thousands of qubits.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
holy#that picture's huge! try right clicken and savin it.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

"in silicon" to limit reverse engineering among other things. No I'm not ready to worship a 3149 Jesus just yet

What about internet applications, create whole new levels of maybe its her, maybe its Maybelline.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The most basic piece of information that a typical computer understands is a bit. Much like a light that can be switched on or off, a bit can have only one of two values: "1" or "0". For qubits, they can hold a value of “1” or “0” as well as both values at the same time.

what will they think of next?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join