It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Ground Shakes, Possible Sonic Boom in S. Jersey (20 Oct 2012)

page: 1
9
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

People are reporting they felt the ground shake in several counties in South Jersey. The USGS is checking to see if this could have been a sonic boom


I live in Florida and back when the space shuttle landed at the Cape on occasion, upon re-entry to the atmosphere it would usually create a sonic boom. I recall it being a very loud BOOM BOOM, windows may have rattled a little likened to a good thunder clap but NEVER do I recall the ground shaking when it occurred.


The U.S. Geological Survey and the National Weather Service are not reporting an earthquake in the area. However, there is speculation it could be a sonic boom, according to the USGS.

People in several counties are reporting they felt "something," on the Facebook page--Jersey shore Hurricane News. South Jersey residents in Atlantic, Cape May, Ocean, and Camden County are claiming they felt the ground shake.

NBC10 is working to confirm what caused this and will update you when we know more.


Awful lot of these reports of earthquakes sonic booms as of late...no? Any one on ATS from around that area feel this?

Link to Article
edit on 10/20/2012 by UberL33t because: added link to article




posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
My husband and I experienced this exact thing in Perry, Georgia last summer. There was a very loud BOOM BOOM, and the entire truck shook. My husband was standing outside the truck and said that he felt the ground shake. We never did find out what it was. Neither of us had ever experienced anything like that before.
Always figured it was a sonic boom but never knew for sure.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Just checked rsoe and usgs.... no seismic activity reported.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Slinki
 


Assuming these are in fact Sonic Booms, and not earthquakes (which if I have read other threads correctly are seemingly dropping off of USGS reports like flies lately), then what pray tell is causing the frequency?

That particular information has not been very forthcoming other than speculations from what I have been reading on the ATS boards, meteors, earthquakes, Russia, etc.

Is there even an uptick in frequency or does it just appear more frequent because the reports therein have upticked?

Always questions huh?



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Go to responses at above link...

Very odd. I heard and felt nothing here in my area of SJ. Apparently, the effects were felt 2 towns over from me & over to Cape May.....I don't like this....hope nothing else happens.....it was also said, the shaking was preceded by 3 large rings on radar
....not sure what that means....
edit on 10/20/12 by j.r.c.b. because: Added info



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.
 



it was also said, the shaking was preceded by 3 large rings on radar


Interesting, where was this said and by whom, if I may query you?



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hello from across the pond in sunny Devon
we had an episode on Thursday 18th October loud sonic boom and ground shaking sent my local police station loopy
have a look at these

ATS Thread

Orionids meteor shower.

I have a few problems with this story and havent quite put it to bed yet
interesting times for sure

PS S&F



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by j.r.c.b.
 



it was also said, the shaking was preceded by 3 large rings on radar


Interesting, where was this said and by whom, if I may query you?

I am checking the radars now, but a poster had stated it under the comments, which were under the article...hmmm....I am not good at reading radar maps, but we have beautiful clear blue skies today, so I honestly can't tell you what I am looking at on the radar maps....a lot of people are blaming haarp, but I have yet to see any evidence of that. And I am still searching for these rings this poster talked about....if any of our more experienced posters can take a look at the radar over SJ, I sure would appreciate it!! As I said, we have nothing but clear blue skies here, and when I checked the radar loop, just looked like a blue blob to me



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRobertson
Hello from across the pond in sunny Devon
we had an episode on Thursday 18th October loud sonic boom and ground shaking sent my local police station loopy
have a look at these

ATS Thread

Orionids meteor shower.

I have a few problems with this story and havent quite put it to bed yet
interesting times for sure

PS S&F

Interesting. My first thought was just something as simple from the meteor shower. I'm gonna go take a look at that thread..TY

Well that's interesting. In that thread NJ was mentioned yesterday. And this happened today...wow..hhhmmm
edit on 10/20/12 by j.r.c.b. because: Added info



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRobertson
 



Orionids meteor shower.


These aren't too out of the ordinary (meteor showers), nor are any other known meteor shower events. The interesting part is (speaking for myself of course) I never recall them having so many reports of sonic booms within their midst.

To me, this would seemingly represent that the meteor field the Earth is passing through contains meteors of above average size allowing them to breach further into the atmosphere causing a frequency in sonic booms.

Though they would presumably still be burning up however as no reports that I've seen show any evidence of any actual impacts occurring, unless of course the rather recent Russia and Louisiana bunker explosion stories are indeed cover stories and they have been making it to the ground.
edit on 10/20/2012 by UberL33t because: tags



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t
 


"Making it to the ground." I was afraid to think it. Really does seem to be happening more frequently.....



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
O.k., about the rings, someone corrected that poster and said it was birds migrating??? Who the h knows at this point.....I'm thinking meteorite, but I really hope they are not reaching the ground...



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t
 


Reply to JRCB aswell

Im quite new to watching the sky but have been looking out for stuff as my 8 year old son has an interest in it. We recently stayed up late to watch a meteor shower that was quite well publicised and saw or heard nothing, the fact that this got the local constabulary in a dither makes me quite concerned

Like I say Im no expert, but if this is an asteroid, meteor, what ever. it must have been big, and fast, to cause a boom, and if its catching us by suprise, IE no credible answers to the cause, then the big question is, what the hell is going on up there

thanks for the stars in my previous post
edit on 20-10-2012 by MrRobertson because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Here's something that seems a little peculiar:

Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst spokesman Pascual Flores told NBC News on Saturday, "There currently is no training of any type that would have resulted in today's incident."

That was from a post two hours ago from the NBC website. Then....

Cumberland County emergency officials and the Sea Isle City Police Department confirmed a sonic boom was created due to military aircraft flying over an area of water in South Jersey. The boom sound occurred at 11:03 a.m., around the time residents reported the ground shaking.

was posted on the New Jersey Star Ledger site about an hour later. Don't you think that if any training or flights moving over or around New Jersey would have been tracked or at least known about by the Air Force at the Joint Base? So who is lying?



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRobertson
reply to post by UberL33t
 


Reply to JRCB aswell

Im quite new to watching the sky but have been looking out for stuff as my 8 year old son has an interest in it. We recently stayed up late to watch a meteor shower that was quite well publicised and saw or heard nothing, the fact that this got the local constabulary in a dither makes me quite concerned

Like I say Im no expert, but if this is an asteroid, meteor, what ever. it must have been big, and fast, to cause a boom, and if its catching us by suprise, IE no credible answers to the cause, then the big question is, what the hell is going on up there

thanks for the stars in my previous post
edit on 20-10-2012 by MrRobertson because: (no reason given)


Appreciate your link to the other thread. As I said, I found it odd NJ was mentioned yesterday in that thread and then this happens today...very strange happenings lately around the globe. My 11 yr. old & I, are getting up at 5 a.m. Est, tomorrow morning, to try to view the meteor shower. My son also loves anything related to the skies/space just like your son. Thanks again for that link, I found it interesting.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by MrRobertson
 



Orionids meteor shower.


These aren't too out of the ordinary (meteor showers), nor are any other known meteor shower events. The interesting part is (speaking for myself of course) I never recall them having so many reports of sonic booms within their midst.

To me, this would seemingly represent that the meteor field the Earth is passing through contains meteors of above average size allowing them to breach further into the atmosphere causing a frequency in sonic booms.

Though they would presumably still be burning up however as no reports that I've seen show any evidence of any actual impacts occurring, unless of course the rather recent Russia and Louisiana bunker explosion stories are indeed cover stories and they have been making it to the ground.
edit on 10/20/2012 by UberL33t because: tags


Should at this one many EQ report disappearing in Canada to
www.abovetopsecret.com...
plu all the other report Russia Uk La California something is up maybe because we are coming thrue the Gallatic plane



posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRobertson
 


At least the UK admitted their sonic boom, on the same day, was due to a meteor.

Does a meteor have to crash, or at least enter our atmosphere to cause a sonic boom?
Or how close and big does it have to be?



posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah
 



Typically, a meteor burns up about 100 kilometers – or 60 miles – above the Earth’s surface. Because sound travels so much more slowly than light does, the rumblings of a particularly large meteor shouldn't be heard for several minutes after the meteor’s sighting. A meteor 100 kilometers high would boom about five minutes after it appears. Such an object is called a “sonic” meteor. The noise it makes is related to the sonic boom caused by a faster-than-sound aircraft.


Source



posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I've been working here on JB-MDL for 2 years now and I can honestly say I've never witnessed any kind of sonic boom or ground shaking like described. Only thing close was when a B1 bomber flew around for a few hours which created some intense ground shaking but that's all. I've talked to a few people today and no one else witnessed anything so who knows what's going on.



posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I live in Cape May, I felt the Boom/Earthquake/whatever while I was sitting in my office. It was a boom and then a rumble for 2-3 seconds afterward. I work on the water and we have been buzzed by National Guard jets that fly out of Atlantic City Airport. However, I have never heard or felt that sound/vibration when they have flown over before. My kids came home from school and asked me if I felt the "earthquake".



new topics

top topics



 
9
<<   2 >>

log in

join