It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about gravity.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Although I am not the one who presented the definition of what a FORCE is defined as...in the case of Gravity...a Photon that is traveling along the Space/Time Curvature created by a Black Hole...is NOT changing that Photons velocity. Rather the Photon is remaining constant in it's velocity and the change of direction of travel is not really a change of action of the Photon but rather a change of the Geometry of the surrounding Space/Time.

This is the reasoning behind showing that GRAVITY is not a true Force...it is the EFFECT CAUSED BY THE ALTERATION OF THE SPACE/TIME GEOMETRY and this alteration is caused by any amount of Mass but is easily shown to us as an EFFECT when we look at what happens to both Matter and Energy once captured by a large celestial body or this Celestial Bodies Gravitational EFFECT. Split Infinity

The effect is a FORCE. You're still having some issues with what a force is for some reason...

Do you think it's some inanimate object or that jedi knights harvest it or something??

Using the term "Force" is being more specific as to what the effect is, not less specific. Terminology is important when discussing things and you don't have a firm grasp of the terminology nor of the concepts. Perhaps when you repeat your physics course, you will get a better grasp.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Sweetie? WOW! I did not know you were so....emotional. LOL! I do not understand why you persist to make this such an emotional and personal debate as that is all this is...a debate.

Whether you believe I am right or wrong does not call for you to behave as you are...that being...very personal and emotionally driven as to the way you reply. This is not a complimentary way to achieve any understanding of what any party on this board may state.

I would and I believe many others also would appreciate a much greater amount of restraint in how you respond to issues that you may or may not agree with.

Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

reply to post by Moduli

Although Gravity has been defined as the Weak Force...and you have provided a definition as to what constitutes a Force...Gravity is described as such because we simply do not have the proper vocabulary for it's TRUE DESCRIPTION.

You state that Gravity is a Force because a Force is described as anything that provides a Change in Momentum. Well then by all means...explain what Momentum is being changed as LIGHT or PHOTONS travel the Space/Time Curvature into a Black Hole?

Where is your CHANGE IN MOMENTUM? Split Infinity

Your replying in a illogical manner as Photons do not have momentum. Split Infinity

So you see that it IS A FORCE!
...this is like pulling teeth....

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Sweetie? WOW! I did not know you were so....emotional. LOL! I do not understand why you persist to make this such an emotional and personal debate as that is all this is...a debate.

Whether you believe I am right or wrong does not call for you to behave as you are...that being...very personal and emotionally driven as to the way you reply. This is not a complimentary way to achieve any understanding of what any party on this board may state.

I would and I believe many others also would appreciate a much greater amount of restraint in how you respond to issues that you may or may not agree with.

Split Infinity

No darlin, just trying to be "nice" and "nurture" you since you are apparently having great distress...

Let's get back to the topic.

Exactly what is it that you think a force is? Please try to be descriptive and answer the question completely as we have been very patient with you. The problem seems to lie in your misunderstanding of forces as well as some other basic concepts. We can help you to understand but you must be willing to try to learn as opposed to declaring yourself correct even when faced with proof after proof that you are not correct.

If you do not wish to learn, that's fine, just say so, but if you do want to undertand the concept, you must be open to learning about it and correcting your misconceptions.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation
reply to post by spy66

The SOHO should have traveled faster then earths is orbeting the sun.

Why? I know what you mean when you say it should orbit faster but why should it?

I'm trying to understand you.

Because SOHO is between earth and the sun. SOHO's orbit radius around the sun is shorter than the orbit radius of earth around the sun. That is why SOHO should have traveled faster than earth around the sun.

So if your understanding of gravity is write. Why isnt SOHO travelig faster around the sun. The suns mass is 333000 x earth mass. or 1.9891 x10 in the 30ths.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Because SOHO is between earth and the sun. SOHO's orbit radius around the sun is shorter than the orbit radius of earth around the sun. That is why SOHO should have traveled faster than earth around the sun.

You have to understand that I have no idea WHAT YOU BELIEVE about these things.

Why do Earth and SOHO even orbit the Sun in the first place? Why do they move at all?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

reply to post by spy66

You have to understand that I have no idea WHAT YOU BELIEVE about these things.

Why do Earth and SOHO even orbit the Sun in the first place? Why do they move at all?

This is the answer i knew i was going to get.

It was you that brought up SOHO not me. Do i know more about why SOHO orbit with the exact same orbit time as earth does around the sun?

Its because of gravity so i thought you would know.

But according to your understanding SOHO should be pulled towards the sun. It is the biggest and largest mass closest to SOHO compared to earth's mass. Why isn't SOHO being pulled towards the sun? It is orbiting at a slower speed than it should do. But SOHO and earth both use 365 days around the sun?

This means that SOHO travels in some kind of gravity field between earth and the sun. Can you explain this gravity field?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

yes, it's inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Why isn't SOHO being pulled towards the sun? It is orbiting at a slower speed than it should do. But SOHO and earth both use 365 days around the sun?
SOHO is not orbiting the Sun. It is orbiting the L1 point between the Earth and Sun.

This means that SOHO travels in some kind of gravity field between earth and the sun. Can you explain this gravity field?

No. It is not "some sort of gravity field". The L1 point is a region where the gravitational forces of the two bodies are balanced with the angular momentum of an object located there.

I'm curious how this relates to your notions about gravity not being a force of attraction between masses.

edit on 11/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Not as well as this can en.wikipedia.org...

Your views on gravity are very unclear. How do you define gravity?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by spy66

Why isn't SOHO being pulled towards the sun? It is orbiting at a slower speed than it should do. But SOHO and earth both use 365 days around the sun?
SOHO is not orbiting the Sun. It is orbiting the L1 point between the Earth and Sun.

No. It is not "some sort of gravity field". The L1 point is a region where the gravitational forces of the two bodies are balanced with the angular momentum of an object located there.

I'm curious how this relates to your notions about gravity not being a force of attraction between masses.

You should read your source again.

There is a reason why SOHO must have a hallow orbit at L1. So that it can orbit with earth around the sun. With some compensation from time to time by SOHO.

Why must SOHO compensate? Is it because of gravity?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

What source would that be?

There is a reason why SOHO must have a hallow orbit at L1. So that it can orbit with earth around the sun. With some compensation from time to time by SOHO.
It's called a halo (not hollow) orbit but yes, the orbit around the L1 point enables SOHO to remain between the Sun and Earth.

How does it relate to your ideas about gravity not being a force of attraction between masses?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by spy66

What source would that be?

It's called a halo (not hollow) orbit but yes, the orbit around the L1 point enables SOHO to remain between the Sun and Earth.

How does it relate to your ideas about gravity not being a force of attraction between masses?

My idea about gravity is not quite like yours or the others on these pages.

All we disagree on is what gravity is. I am saying what it is on my terms. But non of you are.
Gravity is a mathematical theory. That doesn't explain what gravity is exactly. It only explains gravity value in numbers.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yet you persist. Unfortunate. I will try to ignore your personal statements as they are Grade School Playground Material.

Here is your answer. Gravity is an EFFECT. It is not pushing or pulling anything and has no bearing upon Kinetic Transfer. It is the Warping of Space/Time Geometry. Photons are not effected by a EM Field yet Gravity effects them. Or rather it effects the Space/Time in which they travel so any Celestial Body of Great Mass will curve Space/Time to an extent that Photons will travel along this Geometric Curvature.

This is not a Force at work. The word force is used but only because it is a way to allow people who cannot mentally imagine what One Dimensional Expression truly is and how it effects both Matter and Energy. There is no other Effect or Force that effects Photons in the way Gravity does. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I am saying what it is on my terms.

No you're not. What do you think gravity is? SAY IT ALREADY!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

reply to post by spy66

I am saying what it is on my terms.

No you're not. What do you think gravity is? SAY IT ALREADY!

Short memory you have.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Atmospheric pressure? Only?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

reply to post by spy66

Atmospheric pressure? Only?

No. Far from it. Space is filled with matter. Space can be looked upon as its own atmosphere "Space is a void of matter".

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

edit on 2-11-2012 by DenyObfuscation because: retract frustration

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

again... the "effect" is a FORCE, which IS a push or a pull....

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join