It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about gravity.

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

If the Moon had a thicker atmosphere. The Moons center would have more mass. Because of the pressure from the atmosphere above pushing on the surface.

Who has done this to you? This almost makes me cry.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

If the Moon had a thicker atmosphere. The Moons center would have more mass. Because of the pressure from the atmosphere above pushing on the surface.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

No sweetie, it doesn't work that way. Seriously, you need to do some research and reading to try to get a better grasp on this. This is where your problem seems to lie... unless you're just trolling

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation
reply to post by spy66

Amen to that! It seems there was a lot of sleeping going on in HS science classes

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

reply to post by spy66

It doesn't bother me if people don't agree or like what they read.
I can not do anything about what people feel when they read this.

As long as no one here can tell me what gravity force that pools on the 10kg mass inside the vacuum tunnel. I have no reason to change what i know. I don't fallow the crowd. Because there are less people who understands gravity. Than there are people who understand what it is.

You people don't present any facts. If you do, you don't understand the facts you present.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Why does any mass have weight?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

reply to post by spy66

It doesn't bother me if people don't agree or like what they read.
I can not do anything about what people feel when they read this.

As long as no one here can tell me what gravity force that pools on the 10kg mass inside the vacuum tunnel. I have no reason to change what i know. I don't fallow the crowd. Because there are less people who understands gravity. Than there are people who understand what it is.

You people don't present any facts. If you do, you don't understand the facts you present.

#1 many facts have been presented with full understanding of them
#2 you have been told time and again what what the gravitational force is that PULLS on the 10kg mass inside the vacuum tunnel
#3 Physics isn't about "feeling", it's about knowing facts that can be supported with proof
#4 I'm not a grammar nazi, but the extent of your issues are overwhelming concerning the proper spelling and usuage and goes further to explain why you are having issues with other concepts

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

reply to post by spy66

Why does any mass have weight?

That is a good question.

But easy to answer. A mass like a rock consists of many different compressed particles. Each particle has a specific mass/weight. If you add them all up you get the weight of the rock. But they must be connected.

How much the rock weighs compare to our standard measurement depending on the atmosphere you measure the rock in.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Thanks for playing, try again please.

Think about it and see if you can't come up with an example demonstrating that to be incorrect.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I have read through the fact sheets. They don't explain the original problem at all. The reason you people use these so called facts. You people don't understand the facts you present to me. Probably haven't even read it through.

When i asked you what specific gravity force that pulled the mass to the other end. You had no facts.
Non of you have taken what i have stated apart. Because you don't know how.

When people say gravity!! it just tells me what they know. And that is not much about gravity.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

reply to post by spy66

Thanks for playing, try again please.

Think about it and see if you can't come up with an example demonstrating that to be incorrect.

I cant because it is not incorrect. And you know it. If i was wrong you would have proven me wrong with a good explanation. But you didn't.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I have read through the fact sheets. They don't explain the original problem at all. The reason you people use these so called facts. You people don't understand the facts you present to me. Probably haven't even read it through.

When i asked you what specific gravity force that pulled the mass to the other end. You had no facts.
Non of you have taken what i have stated apart. Because you don't know how.

When people say gravity!! it just tells me what they know. And that is not much about gravity.

let's see.... you say you're taking a class and the professor gave this to you...

you don't believe what the professor says, even though he is trained and educated in the field as are many of us who tell you the same thing....

but of course we're all wrong and you're right even though you have no clue what you are talking about (and are probably failing the class)

This isn't that complicated, you are just refusing to learn it. What we have told you is correct regardless of whether you want to believe that or not. This is physics, not philosophy. It's not about what you want to believe, it's about what you can support with proof.

Perhaps you should pick a field that is more in line with the way your mind works because phsyics definitely isn't for you.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I've not read all 22 pages of replies but here's my take.

Forget the weight, imagine a person jumped into the tunnel head first, what would happen?

They would fall vertically but as they reached the centre of gravity (centre of the Earth) they would get closer to the wall of the tunnel as it would appear to curve. They wouldn't see a curve of course because it is straight but much like being in water, you can feel which way is up and which way is down because of the gravity. This force pulling you down would travel from your heard downwards until the force of gravity was dead centre and you would hit the wall of the tunnel (which would appear to be the floor). and skid to a stop. You couldn't fall beyond the centre as the rotation of the earth would pull you closer to the wall as you approach 0G.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

My teacher is just a human being who works as a teacher. This does not mean he understand this at all.

A work description or a title dose not mean correct knowledge. Its just like religion. A priest or a pope don't have to know more about God then a person who is not a priest or a pope.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

My teacher is just a human being who works as a teacher. This does not mean he understand this at all.

A work description or a title dose not mean correct knowledge. Its just like religion. A priest or a pope don't have to know more about God then a person who is not a priest or a pope.

Your teacher still probably has better grounds to say they're right over you. You really should read up some more on physics as it obviously interests you. While most of us mere mortals understand very little about gravity and the likes, you are arguing your point based on very little true knowledge. None of us know the answer to your question for sure because it is physically impossible in the limitations of our planet. However we do know that your argument is wrong regarding the relationship between gravity and vacuum and you need to accept that maybe you have misunderstood things you have learnt and need to revisit them.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Forget the weight, imagine a person jumped into the tunnel head first, what would happen?

They would fall vertically but as they reached the centre of gravity (centre of the Earth) they would get closer to the wall of the tunnel as it would appear to curve. They wouldn't see a curve of course because it is straight but much like being in water, you can feel which way is up and which way is down because of the gravity. This force pulling you down would travel from your heard downwards until the force of gravity was dead centre and you would hit the wall of the tunnel (which would appear to be the floor). and skid to a stop. You couldn't fall beyond the centre as the rotation of the earth would pull you closer to the wall as you approach 0G.

If yo dive and let out some air. Where will it go and why?

If you take the vacuum tunnel were there is no mass underneath the 10kg mass. the 10kg mass would not be effected by earth gravity.

If you try to determine the weight of the vacuum column, what weight you you measure half way through earth.
I bet zero weight all the way.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Your teacher still probably has better grounds to say they're right over you. You really should read up some more on physics as it obviously interests you. While most of us mere mortals understand very little about gravity and the likes, you are arguing your point based on very little true knowledge. None of us know the answer to your question for sure because it is physically impossible in the limitations of our planet. However we do know that your argument is wrong regarding the relationship between gravity and vacuum and you need to accept that maybe you have misunderstood things you have learnt and need to revisit them.

What i am doing is arguing with people who don't understand what they have been taught or read on wiki.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

If yo dive and let out some air. Where will it go and why?

In you take the vacuum tunnel were there is no mass underneath the 10kg mass. the 10kg mass would not be effected by earth gravity.

If you try to determine the weight of the vacuum column, what weight you you measure half way through earth.
I bet zero weight all the way.

Noooo!!! Please forget everthing you think you know about the subject. If the tunnel was a vacuum, gravity would still have the same effect, the only thing that would be affected is the speed of the descent due to a lack of air resistance. If you were in a vacuum and 'let out some air' (paaarp) then the vacuum would no longer be a 100% vacuum unless that air was sucked straight back out.

How do you think the moons gravity affects Earths tides if gravity can't work through the vacuum of space between them?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

What i am doing is arguing with people who don't understand what they have been taught or read on wiki.

THE most paradoxical statement of the thread so far.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Ok, let me put this question to you. You may have done an experiment in science at school where you have a glass jar with a bell inside. The air is sucked out creating a vacuum and you can no longer hear the bell because soundwaves need something to travel through. Why does the bell not float if it isn't fixed down? Would an apple in that jar float when the air is sucked out? If your answer is no, then it stands to reason that gravity still has an effect in the vacuum

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

reply to post by fiftyfifty

Ok, let me put this question to you. You may have done an experiment in science at school where you have a glass jar with a bell inside. The air is sucked out creating a vacuum and you can no longer hear the bell because soundwaves need something to travel through. Why does the bell not float if it isn't fixed down? Would an apple in that jar float when the air is sucked out? If your answer is no, then it stands to reason that gravity still has an effect in the vacuum

Yes we have done experiments like this. But we never got a very good vacuum.

There is a big difference in the experiment with a jar resting on a table, than a vacuum tunnel which is not resting on a mass at the bottom. And the bell in our and your experiment was pre placed on the surface. No, so it wouldn't move.

The other thing is if the jar was capable of maintaining a strong absolute vacuum. Would the bell sink if the bell was not place on the surface of the jar before hand?

You never did that experiment did you?

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join