It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney will raise taxes on the rich by 1 Trillion to pay for his Middle Class tax cuts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
You heard it here first folks. Romney simply can't afford the 1/5 across the board tax cut that he is proposing for the Middle and Working class without raising taxes by 1 Trillion or more on the rich. I repeat: Romney is proposing a $1 trillion dollar tax increase on the greedy millionaires to give you a tax cut.

What? Where did this come from? Well, I'm hoping some Obama supporters can help me figure that out.

Obama for months has been repeating the line that Romney is proposing a $2000 tax increase on the middle class to pay for his '5 trillion dollar' tax cut for the rich. That talking point is every bit as accurate as my assertion, and my assertion is every bit as accurate as that talking point.

News Flash: For months Romney has proposed a 1/5 across the board tax cut. The Obama talking point was created by taking the amount of money 'lost' by cutting the richest people's taxes by 1/5 and assuming that Romney will, by necessity, make up that short fall by raising the same revenue from the middle class. But why not assume the exact opposite? Afterall, across the board means 'across the board.'

If you're not getting it yet: break out of your narrative. Me and Obama are assuming the same economic principles. The only difference is we're assuming , or preaching - you can decide-, something different about Romney's priorities.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic
You heard it here first folks. Romney simply can't afford the 1/5 across the board tax cut that he is proposing for the Middle and Working class without raising taxes by 1 Trillion or more on the rich. I repeat: Romney is proposing a $1 trillion dollar tax increase on the greedy millionaires to give you a tax cut.

What? Where did this come from? Well, I'm hoping some Obama supporters can help me figure that out.

Obama for months has been repeating the line that Romney is proposing a $2000 tax increase on the middle class to pay for his '5 trillion dollar' tax cut for the rich. That talking point is every bit as accurate as my assertion, and my assertion is every bit as accurate as that talking point.

News Flash: For months Romney has proposed a 1/5 across the board tax cut. The Obama talking point was created by taking the amount of money 'lost' by cutting the richest people's taxes by 1/5 and assuming that Romney will, by necessity, make up that short fall by raising the same revenue from the middle class. But why not assume the exact opposite? Afterall, across the board means 'across the board.'

If you're not getting it yet: break out of your narrative. Me and Obama are assuming the same economic principles. The only difference is we're assuming , or preaching - you can decide-, something different about Romney's priorities.

Romney's economic principle will benefit the people he relates to.

His policy will be geared to serve the people he caviars with in the Hampton's. It's not
very complicated people.

Obama on the other hand took his Harvard degree and used it to become a community organizer,
who do you think he relates too?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

I live in Mass. I am not a fan of either Major Party. Romney was a Republican Governor with a large Democratic Legislature. The guy passed Universal Health Care which works well in our state. He was able to work with the Democrats and basically...he did a very good job.

He is very Pro-Business and Pro-Small Business. Small Business is our Countries LARGEST EMPLOYER with 80% of all JOBS in the UNITED STATES being Small Business Jobs. This is the ONLY WAY to have a sustained recovery and that is to help Small Businesses. I have heard NOTHING viable in planning from the Democrats to help Small Business viability and growth. Just token B.S. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Dear snusfanatic,

But, what you missed was the second part. Romney wants to eliminate many tax deductions for the middle class and that will result in an overall increase in what the middle class and lower pay. What you have to understand is that deductions for children, mortgage interest and other things fall more on the middle class and lower than on the wealthier. Someone who pays $10,000 a year in federal income tax on a 20% rate. If he has $3,000 worth in reductions pays $7,000. Now if we eliminate the deductions, he would pay $8,000 with the 20% reduction on the 20% rate or he will pay $1,000 more than now.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I could be mistaken - - but didn't Obama try to tax the rich and the Republican congress voted it down?

Or something like that?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic

I think there are a couple of dynamics in play that Obama and most likely you do not believe in.

Much of what you suggest is based on Obama's view of things now and his views of were Government will be, but if a few things were changed then the whole picture could be different.

1. Do we need such a BIG government? I am willing to bet that Romney will look at cutting, and reducing Government spending and this is a rather big part to all this.

2. Reduce taxes generating a large growth in the private sector. I'm not trying to debate this, but if we moved a good chunk of people who pay no taxes into an income that puts them into paying taxes this would generate a lot of new taxes.

3. Private business that do well pay more taxes too... I think this is the foundation to it all in a robust economy will generate more revenue in taxes.

So I guess the bottom line here is whether Obama can fix things as he has tried and will continue in the same fashion or if Romney can do it a different way. As I see it Obama's way is not working and I just do not see it generating more taxes in the long run while reducing Government spending.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Yeah not buying it Romney will do whatever to benefit him and his rich friends. Hence why he has fundraiser events with his richies. His economic plan is trickle down economics.

The Romney-Ryan plan gives the big five oil companies a $2.3 billion tax cut above and beyond existing tax loopholes

www.americanprogressaction.org...

Romney says he won’t cut taxes on wealthy Americans

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Well if that is his plan. I laugh at all the undisclosed donors. Pay the guy to give you tax breaks, then weeks before the election give em the finger and say your gonna raise theirs.

It would be funny.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I could be mistaken - - but didn't Obama try to tax the rich and the Republican congress voted it down?

Or something like that?

I guess you can spin it that way... The Democrats do...

Democrats want the bush tax cuts to only be carried over for the middle class, and the Republicans want the Bush tax cuts to stay as is in where ALL get the cuts.

It all is just a political ploy since it has already been proven that if Obama got all he wants it would equal enough extra revenue to run the Government for 8 days.

So I guess the question is once Obama gets all he wants what do we do on the ninth day?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Or something like that?

I am not a Democrat.

Just thought I'd point that out.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Obama is willing to let the "Bush Tax Cuts" (current tax rates) for the middle class "Expire" (be raised), if it means higher taxes on small businesses and the rich.

Talk about an extremist. I want to pay 1/5 lower taxes in 2013 then I paid in 2012, not HIGHER taxes then I was paying in 2002. Forward?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Romney will raise taxes on the rich by 1 Trillion to pay for his Middle Class tax cuts

Sorry,

Romney first has to get it introduced in the house then changes are made then it gets voted on then it gets sent to the senate where they make changes send it back to the house then passed back up then it might end on on Romney's desk.

Of course that is IF Romney wins, and that is IF the house stays Republican majority, and IF the senate has a change of power to Republican majority.

Whole lot of if's there to be condemning a dude who may or not even be Potus.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Or something like that?

Democrats want the bush tax cuts to only be carried over for the middle class, and the Republicans want the Bush tax cuts to stay as is in where ALL get the cuts.

It all is just a political ploy since it has already been proven that if Obama got all he wants it would equal enough extra revenue to run the Government for 8 days.

So I guess the question is once Obama gets all he wants what do we do on the ninth day?

You realize that the GOP and conservatives said the same thing before Clinton raised taxes?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm not condemning him. I'm taking Obama's logic that he uses to argue that Romney is proposing a 1 Trillion tax cut on the Middle Class to "pay for" the 1/5 rate cut on the Rich and turning it on its head.

It sounds bizarre but think about it. The man says 1/5 across the board and Obama says 'THAT MEANS INCREASES FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS.' It's just as logical to say the opposite.

It helps highlight how far out on the limb Obama is.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Sorry didn't mean to imply Romney threads always go that way.

The Romney plan is just a plan what he proposed is just that a proposal as "someone else" writes those bills, and those bills never finish how they started.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by campanionator
Obama on the other hand took his Harvard degree and used it to become a community organizer,
who do you think he relates too?

Just what is a community organizer? I really have no clue to what this means?

Has Obama ever needed to make a profit in anything he has done, has he ever needed to balance a budget and worry about revenue to expenses?

How long was he a community organizer, and what were some of his achievements?

It seems that everything he has been involved with he has never needed to actually run anything that wasn't just sucking money and not making money....

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Dear SplitInfinity,

I know I may be off-topic by a lot, but I think you've raised an outstanding point which I haven't seen on ATS before.

I live in Mass. I am not a fan of either Major Party. Romney was a Republican Governor with a large Democratic Legislature. The guy passed Universal Health Care which works well in our state. He was able to work with the Democrats and basically...he did a very good job.
In politics one must be prepared to be flexible in order to strike deals and work with everyone. In Romney's case, he is accused of "flip-flopping," but it may be pragmatism. Obama has not done well working with the other party. That contributes a lot to the deadlock we have.

Any tax plan or budget a candidate might devise will have to get through Congress. It seems that Romney will have a better chance of getting some kind of deal done between both sides. I'm afraid Obama will find an even more recalcitrant House of Representatives, and we'll end up with more nothing.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by campanionator

You realize that the GOP and conservatives said the same thing before Clinton raised taxes?

Clinton handed Bush a recession... I guess his plan worked well. Personally I did a lot better in the 80s than the 90s and I did a lot better in 00s than the 10s...so far, so for me I have always done better under a republican president....not sure why though.

Bush's tax cuts were and have been HUGE...they still use them and want to use them...both parties...funny huh...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

So which one is it?

edit on 20-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Or something like that?

I am not a Democrat.

Just thought I'd point that out.

I'm not saying you are, just that it is the Democrats spin on it all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join