It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are you with your party?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
My first thread, so please be gentle.

I was just wondering why you all subscribe to the party you do. Why do you all come in here and defend to the ( Internet ) death that you do? I don't want to hear why you "like" them, meaning ideologies that never come to pass. For instance, most of my conservative friends talk about how Conservatives are all for smaller Government, but yet Government still grows or stays the same under them, things like that.

Basically, why are you a Democrat or why are you a Conservative? What have they done that has personally affected you?

I am betting that 90% of the replies are vague, ad hominem, personal or party attacks and very few with substance. If so, I ask you all to reread and rethink what you all think.

For me, I lean more to the left, because I am poor, but I do vote right locally almost all the time because local politics seem to have it right

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Democrat right now

anything to keep a republican out of office

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Thanks muse lol, at least you're honest

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The Republicans want to bankrupt and enslave all people who aren't them.
Only the Democratic party can possibly stop them.
If they will or not is another question.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Um OK guys, still not answering my question, HOW has YOUR party helped or affected you?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Well, guess I will go to bed, seems like I was right though, NO ONE can adequately explain why they adhere to the thoughts they have

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm registered republican but I do vote independently. I never follow party lines, I vote for who I feel best represents the values I want for this country. But as to why I am registered republican, well it here goes.... The power base of the democrats are the poor, therefore it is in their best interest to have more poor people, The power base of the republicans are the rich, therefore it is in their best interest to have more rich people. I mostly support the power that wants more rich people. As to whether you get rich or not is up to you. I never expect anything to be handed to me. I realize this is an over simplified view but it works for me. Sorry, misread the question, as to how my party affects me, well looking at the many people in my party who started with nothing but became something, well I consider that inspiration to succeed in life.
edit on 19-10-2012 by shadwgirl because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2012 by shadwgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ah the novel idea of separate parties.

Its like they are purposely set up to each have enough things in their platform a large majority like, a few things a majority are hesitant about, and a very select few things some people will find flat out "dumb" which makes people see one or the other as "bad" which is where extreme left and right come from.

Coincidence?

And we wonder why nothing ever gets done.

People are different. Nobody is exactly the same, and nobody has lived mirror lives the exact same way.

The problem we have is a majority of people have their values and see their individuality as something to be cherished and protected. Much like a mother protecting her children, things can get violent and there will be winners and losers.

edit on 19-10-2012 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mymymy

I will do my very best to be gentle.

Before you reach conclusions about the members of ATS, you might want to consider giving them more than 40 some-odd minutes to reply. Check back again tomorrow. Be patient.

And ATSers are not superhman, we're people like you. So if you ask us not to use vague replies with very little substance, think about giving us a good example for inspiration. Saying

I lean more to the left, because I am poor, but I do vote right locally almost all the time because local politics seem to have it right
may not pass the test you're setting for us.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by shadwgirl

The backbone of the republicans are mega corporations that donate millions to them. its in their best interests to please them at whatever costs.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

The backbone of the republicans are mega corporations that donate millions to them. its in their best interests to please them at whatever costs.

Oh these guys!

The 25 most vicious Iraq war profiteers
www.businesspundit.com...

Its sick is what it is.

I'm only 26 and strangely enough, Republicans have had their man as president for 2 Iraq wars, and the war on terror.

Not saying Obama is a saint mind you. I haven't forgotten countries he has done his business in.
edit on 19-10-2012 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a beat up on republicans thread. I was trying to honestly explain why I chose the party I did. Maybe you should try answering the question yourselves instead of picking apart mine. That was just rude.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thanks Charles, This is why I have never started a thread before, I just can't seem to be as clear and concise as other members here. What I meant was why are people Republican or Democrat only. I read threads on here where people defend the actions from people of their party even if they are flat out wrong. When it's obvious that this person is wrong, instead of saying so, they simply try to compare it to something someone of the other party has said. I would like to know why they do this and simply subscribe to one party line.

What I should have also said is I am neither a R or a D. I will condemn either party when they are wrong

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply shdwgirl, I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war for either side, I just really wanted to know why people are so die hard for their particular party. You conveyed that nicely, Thanks

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

edit on 20-10-2012 by mymymy because: double post

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm a registered independent because the republican party is too liberal.
I belong to the Tea Party.
The tenents are, personal responsibility, small government, individuality.

The democrats are all satanists who want to destroy America and injure tiny kittehs with spatulas. So they are all my mortal enemies and I fight a never-ending battle against the forces of evil.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mymymy

I was just wondering why you all subscribe to the party you do.

Sorry, I cancelled my subscription.

If there was such a thing as a write-in vote in my state, I'd scribble in Patrick Henry. But since there is no such thing as an outside opinion allowed here and since he's dead anyway, I'll probably just have a scotch and soda or two that day and howl at the moon (well okay, the quarter moon). I'll be having a Lone Wolf Party.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mymymy

I was honestly glad to participate. I think that this is a truly valid question and hopefully will inspire some inflection on what values are most important to a person vs. a political party. (Please don't think my value is money, it's really about ethics and self sufficiency for me). Hopefully, this thread will be a wonderful discourse instead of a red/blue war. It can also be a wonderful way to learn about how other people see political parties in other countries as well as your own.

new topics

top topics

join