It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery object in sky captivates locals

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by cavalryscout
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Did you even look at the top source or just watch the video?

It was seen by several people and posted / reported in the local paper.

I did...not much of a story or a source. It is a one paragraph posting that says five people reported it and it looks JUST like a motion blur still pic of a plane in the sky.

There's a link at the bottom of the page with signed affidavits, polygraph results from all the witnesses, recordings of the 911 calls, videos from the dashcam, analysis from video and photo experts, a certificate of authenticity, and Obama's approval. I can't believe it engaged that jet...thank god that pilot was able to bail out before it was too late.

ATS where the experts come to post!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

also from Mufon database:

2012-10-16 2012-10-16
4:30PM (GS) Horizontal inkpen shape in sky hovering. Many jets kept flying by it. I saw 3 within 15-mins. My cousin and others watched it for hours and they saw more than 16 jets fly by it. Pikeville, KY, US

My cousin called my mom and told her that he and his employee had been watching a strange object in the sky for about an hour. The object was brought to their attention by the man next door. Whom, he had never spoken with. The man said he had been watching the object from his porch for about 30 minutes. When I spoke with my cousin he described the object to me and also said that airplanes kept flying by it. I then got in my car and drove to see it for myself. I arrived and could not see it with the naked eye but I could see it with binoculars. I witnessed about 3 airplanes fly past the object. It remained motionless and looked like a silver inkpen floating horizontally in the sky.It did not appear to have a flight path to me as I was there only briefly but my cousin stated that it had been closer and was moving from the right to the left (I am not sure what direction that would be but it could easily be figured out). There were 4 other witnesses there also. I had called my father who is an official in the state government and related what I had seen to him after I left the scene because I had to go pick up my child from a practice. My father later told me that as he was relating my story to one of his employees, the employee recieved a facebook message from his cousin in a town 30 miles away (South Williamson, KY) that had a picture of the object. I havent seen the picture myself. I videoed the object and witnesses but you cannot see anything as the object was so very far away. My cousin took pictures while it was closer before I arrived but you cannot see anything on those but we hope that maybe with the right equipment they can be blown-up and maybe be seen. After I picked up my child from her practice she wanted to go see it but after calling my cousin he stated that you could no longer see it as it had moved beyond the tree-line.It was obviously being watched by our government because of all the planes flying by it. My cousin states that they do not usually fly over the area and definitly not that many/b]. I could not make out what kind of planes they were but we got video of some of them and you can see a lot of vapor trails from them. I dont know what it is. Maybe extraterrestrial, maybe a drone or satalite from a foriegn country that invaded our airspace. I dont have any idea but I believe that those airplanes were diffinitly interested in it.While I was there my cousin said they had seen 16 fly by it.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

...also said that airplanes kept flying by it.

"Flying by it" is not the same thing as "circling it." We do not know the altitude of the object or the altitudes of the planes. We do not know if the planes could even see the object; all we know is that from time to time there were planes in the same field of view as the object.

I witnessed about 3 airplanes fly past the object.

Again, past,not around. The planes were clearly flying in a straight line. Again, we do not know their altitude, so we have no idea how far away from the object they really were.

... it had been closer and was moving from the right to the left (I am not sure what direction that would be but it could easily be figured out).

So why not figure it out and tell us??? This is one of the most frustrating things about this flap. The whole value of a mass sighting like this is that one can collect enough data points to locate the object in 3 dimensions. None of the witnesses provides the pertinent data, but instead offers speculation. For example:

It was obviously being watched by our government because of all the planes flying by it. My cousin states that they do not usually fly over the area and definitly not that many. I could not make out what kind of planes they were but we got video of some of them and you can see a lot of vapor trails from them.

If the witness could not tell what kind of planes they were, what makes them think they were government planes? Furthermore, the fact that they were leaving contrails suggests that they were at 30,000+ feet; we do not know the altitude of the object, so we have no way of knowing whether the planes flying by (not "circling!") could even see the object. As for there not being many flights, this is what the skies over Kentucky looked like at 2.35 EDST today:

planefinder.net...
edit on 22-10-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah
reply to post by DJW001

In addition to the above, this article also says it.
The event was witnessed by employees of the Daily News, which ran the article, in addition to others.

www.williamsondailynews.com...

Several jets appeared to fly in the vicinity of the UFO. Contrails could be seen zigzagging all around the object. This made for much speculation by those who witnessed the strange, airborne object.

Thank you for reminding me. Note the exact wording of this article, written by eyewitnesses. Now note how it is reported in the UFO blogosphere:

People working at the Daily News and City Tire saw the object hovering for over an hour. Customers of the automotive repair business watched the sky in horror and confusion as the object seemed to get brighter and brighter.

ufoomnibus.com...

Horror and confusion? Where do any of the witnesses report being horrified or confused? The story gets embellished further in the same vein by the same sensationalizing "journalist":

Then, out of nowhere, several jets started to fly in the vicinity of the unidentified flying object. Witnesses began to speculate just what was happening at that moment.

Out of nowhere? You mean they suddenly just appeared in a puff of smoke? This sort of sloppy reporting that results in people believing things about an incident that simply are not supported by the actual eyewitness reports. Planes did not appear out of nowhere; they had to come from somewhere. They did not circle the object, they flew past it, although, I cannot stress enough, we don't know at what altitude. No-one could see the planes clearly enough to tell whether they were civilian or military, yet some sources are stating the speculation that they are military as fact. Not one single witness reported being horrified or confused, yet that, now, has entered the false picture of the incident. Failure to use critical thinking is what killed UFOlogy.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I think you haven't read or watched all of the information presented. One eyewitness estimated the object to be at around 10,000 feet. Also, the witnesses at the Daily News indicated that the jets were indeed flying around it, as the plan contrails "zig zagged" around object. One witness counted 16 fly by's. That is an extraordinary amount of traffic for such a small vector.

I appreciate people requesting more details to better understand what happened, but it appears you are not fully researching what happened here. All of the details you are asking for have already been provided. This is a mass sighting with many credible witnesses spanning multiple states. What is really striking about this whole ordeal is the quality of witnesses and footage.

This is no hoax.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheReligiousHoax

I think you haven't read or watched all of the information presented. One eyewitness estimated the object to be at around 10,000 feet. Also, the witnesses at the Daily News indicated that the jets were indeed flying around it, as the plan contrails "zig zagged" around object. One witness counted 16 fly by's. That is an extraordinary amount of traffic for such a small vector.

Why did the eyewitness estimate that? How high would the eyewitness estimate the planes were flying at? Most people simply are not qualified to estimate the altitude of a known object with known characteristics; how can they give a reliable estimate of the altitude of an unknown object with unknown characteristics? As for 16 flybys, I have not seen this figure. Where did you get it?

I appreciate people requesting more details to better understand what happened, but it appears you are not fully researching what happened here. All of the details you are asking for have already been provided. This is a mass sighting with many credible witnesses spanning multiple states. What is really striking about this whole ordeal is the quality of witnesses and footage.

What I find most striking is the complete absence of useful data! Compass bearing, elevation. We don't need made up stories about people watching in "horror and confusion."

This is no hoax.

No-one has said that it is. I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to find hard data if I thought it was a hoax. Stop being so defensive and make a positive contribution, please.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

You clearly indicated on page 7 that you thought the ADG UK video was a hoax. You also drew the conclusion that since the uploader is from the UK, that the video must be too:

"The video, incidentally, is a hoax. Do not confuse the hoaxer's claim that his video is of the object in question with reports of the actual witnesses. The video is from the UK, not Kentucky"

I am positively contributing to this topic. The last thing we want are people jumping to conclusions because they haven't read the entire thread (ironically what you did to begin with). Again, this is no hoax. Maybe you should go back and edit your comment to accurately reflect the situation?

Page 2 & 4 contain the UFO Stalker report where someone counted 16 fly by's. This jibes with what the witnesses said from the newspaper. Again, this data has already been made available by fellow ATS members. I appreciate your thirst for facts, but you really need to stop and digest what has already been presented. Thanks.

edit on 22-10-2012 by TheReligiousHoax because: Added last paragraph

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This thing is so far that you can't really tell how big it is or even if it is not some kind of optical effect.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheReligiousHoax

You clearly indicated on page 7 that you thought the ADG UK video was a hoax. You also drew the conclusion that since the uploader is from the UK, that the video must be too:

"The video, incidentally, is a hoax. Do not confuse the hoaxer's claim that his video is of the object in question with reports of the actual witnesses. The video is from the UK, not Kentucky"

I am positively contributing to this topic. The last thing we want are people jumping to conclusions because they haven't read the entire thread (ironically what you did to begin with). Again, this is no hoax. Maybe you should go back and edit your comment to accurately reflect the situation?

The ADG UK site promotes hoaxes. It has zero credibility. There is no reason to believe that anything it presents is as claimed. I will modify my statement to be more precise: There is no reason to believe that this video is not a hoax.

Page 2 & 4 contain the UFO Stalker report where someone counted 16 fly by's.

None of the witnesses who actually filed reports claims to have counted 16 airplanes. Exactly one reports that someone she knows claims to have counted 16. I'm not surprised you do not understand the difference.

This jibes with what the witnesses said from the newspaper.

The newspapers reported contrails. No-one is saying there were no contrails. The newspapers do not report 16 flybys. One poster here has twisted passing airplanes into "circling"airplanes. That is manifestly not what happened.

Again, this data has already been made available by fellow ATS members. I appreciate your thirst for facts, but you really need to stop and digest what has already been presented. Thanks.

Thank you for pointing me to the news video. I must admit I did not watch it at first. As it turns out, it features an interview with the most credible witness, an amateur astronomer, who indicates the elevation and direction. You have inadvertently given me all the information I need to determine the object's location and altitude. I'll crunch the numbers in the morning. Relax; I can assure you it will remain "unidentified." You probably won't be too thrilled about its flight characteristics, however.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah
The airplanes seen circling this object is one of the most compelling mysteries in this event.
I doubt they would have been circling a kite, or balloon, or contrail.

I don't really find reports of aircraft investigating any 'unknown' flying object all that compelling as it applies to UFOs or UFOs aka Aliens.

It's not compelling at all considering the current level of concern over terrorist security.
Anything 'unknown' that's seen floating or flying over populated areas, especially where it causes a considerable amount of concern and reports from citizens is certain to be investigated by authorities to ascertain its threat level.

If planes or helicopters were seen taking a look at it, and nothing came from it, no shots fired, no missiles, or anything of the sort, the only thing 'compelling' that would indicate is that authorities took a scope at it which resulted in an identification of something known and of zero threat, like a simple solar balloon.

If anyone wants to argue from ignorance regarding balloon complexity, what can and can't be done with balloons, and such, then, it might be advisable to take a look at the following video which, though not attributable to the sighting reported in this thread, it does however demonstrate the levels of complexity balloon enthusiasts with balloons, lights, light weight power supply, and circuit board can get up to.

If you've watched the video then, you'll have seen how the balloon display is fairly complex regarding color changes, pulses, and design layout almost like each individual balloon represents a single dynamic pixel on a video display.
Imagine the balloon configuration above released into the wild to float above any populated area, and imagine just what kind of reports it might generate from people that happen to gosh and gawk at in open mouthed wonder and amazement, most of them entirely ignorant as to what it could be, with a large number of them easily convinced that such a thing could very well be ... aliens.

The following, for instance is a video of a marquee done with LEDs and an inexpensive RaspberryPi device:

RaspberryPi is:

a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

Raspberry Pi - Faqs

Raspberry Pi devices are so cheap, open source flexible/programmable, small, and lightweight, that they're fairly disposable, and quite easily adaptable for use in balloon enthusiast projects.

In the case of the sighting detailed in this thread, however, we don't have the degree of complexity and sophistication that can very certainly be obtained readily and cheaply. We have instead, reports of something entirely attributable to a much more low tech, tried and true solar balloon, possibly with a few accessories added on.

It really is quite amazing how even after such things are shown to some, some people are still so entrenched in bias that they'll still deny this evidence in claiming such things can only be achieved by aliens, even though it's quite plain, and demonstrable as shown for balloons to be attributable to such sightings.

edit on 23-10-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

If planes or helicopters were seen taking a look at it, and nothing came from it, no shots fired, no missiles, or anything of the sort, the only thing 'compelling' that would indicate is that authorities took a scope at it which resulted in an identification of something known and of zero threat, like a simple solar balloon.

Okay now let me explain something to you from a military point of view. It is very uncommon for the military to engage aircraft inside the U.S. borders. IF something managed to breach our defenses protocol would be to attempt to force the object / craft to land, not to go gangbusters and start firing rounds and missiles at the damn thing. I'm sure they would return fire if fired upon but....

This is the real world not some Chuck Norris movie. Don't you think there would be a lot more to explain to the public if there was some kind of dogfight over 'bfe' Kentucky?

You Americans and your guns.

edit on 23-10-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I can't believe this hasn't been proven a hoax/misidentified yet. So I guess I'm going to have to prove it myself.

This was nothing more than a Solar Balloon, they come in black and clear.

(It even says UFO on the box!)

Today I will be launching a 18 foot long, Clear Solar Balloon from a location about 15 miles south of Dayton, Ohio. (Weather Permitting)

I will document the launch on video and will be attempting to replicate the photos and video from the original reports. I will post the video to youtube and here in this thread. I will also be keeping an eye out on the local media outlets for reports of a UFO over Ohio.

Why am I doing this?

I'm a believer, but first and foremost, I'm an investigator, so I'm going to investigate.

I will keep you all posted.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

You guys keep claiming it's one of those solar balloons but every one I've seen is black or dark brown. The ufo is clear why is that?

Would a clear solar balloon even be effective?

EDIT - I see you said they come in clear but I haven't seen a pic of a clear solar balloon.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

You guys keep claiming it's one of those solar balloons but every one I've seen is black or dark brown. The ufo is clear why is that?

Would a clear solar balloon even be effective?

EDIT - I see you said they come in clear but I haven't seen a pic of a clear solar balloon.

This is why I'm doing the investigation. The store I checked didn't have the clear ones in stock. But they do make long plastic bags of the same size. That is all a solar balloon is, a long plastic bag. So I'm making my own, and It will work just the same as long as there is enough sun to heat the air in the bag.

I investigate, I do not speculate.

EDIT: I will be using Clear Plastic Disposable Casket Covers in my investigation.
edit on 23-10-2012 by mikemck1976 because: Added edit line.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Cool.

Take some video and let us know how that turns out for you.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Okay now let me explain something to you from a military point of view. It is very uncommon for the military to engage aircraft inside the U.S. borders. IF something managed to breach our defenses protocol would be to attempt to force the object / craft to land, not to go gangbusters and start firing rounds and missiles at the damn thing. I'm sure they would return fire if fired upon but....

This is the real world not some Chuck Norris movie. Don't you think there would be a lot more to explain to the public if there was some kind of dogfight over 'bfe' Kentucky?

Right. So, all that being said, is there any indication that authorities, including police helicopters, or any aircraft, even civilian for that matter, attempted to, erm, force the reported thing to the ground?
Has anyone reported anything such?

And if any such attempts were made where the sighted object exhibited non-compliance, do the authorities then just say "All right then. Cheers mate. You won't listen to us, so carry on then"?

All in all, regardless of what authorities did, or didn't do, and how they do, or don't do things, the point I was making was that regardless of whether the object was a solar balloon, or an alien mother ship invasion fleet, any aircraft seen or reported mucking about with or around said object or in the sky at the same time does not make 'compelling' evidence of anything other than that there are;

1. Other aircraft coincidentally aloft at the same time.
2. Authorities, whether local, national, civilian, mall-cop, or your mum, whoever, has taken an interest in peeking a bit closer since swarms of panicky civilians are running about the streets flapping their hands around like scared little muppets and making phone calls regarding said object.

Aircraft sharing the sky with UFOs and or coconut laden swallows of any air speed velocity is compelling evidence of absolutely nothing.

edit on 23-10-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

"All right then. Cheers mate. You won't listen to us, so carry on then"?

Americans don't talk like that!

I'm just going by witness reports I wasn't there. I'm sure many of the planes were in the area purely by coincidence.
I have heard that commercial pilots are asked to check on suspicious 'things' if they are able to do so safely. That's why I would like to listen to a recording of the cockpit chatter of one of the alleged planes.

Another thing since we're hooked on the plane thing wouldn't the air current caused by the jets influence the things movement if it was just a balloon?

I don't know how close they were or how close they would need to be to have any effect.

Anybody know?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah[/i

Well i will have to agree that the visual contact with multiple eye witness and pilots hold a lot of weight with me and should be taken into consideration...Please post any other info you come across...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

I take it you are in the military and know exactly what the US policy is on unidentified aircraft in their airspace?

Wait then you have this to say...

And with that thought, this is the real world and not Independence Day either.

I take it you are not from the US are you?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

I'm actually surprised, since it's Kentucky, one of those states/regions where everyone from the age of birth owns some kind of firearm, and it's "hunt'n" season for something all year round, that the thing wasn't punched full of holes near immediately.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join