It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boat race protester gets six months prison for upsetting the elite.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
The guy who jumped in the river is from the "elite" crowd. Last time I checked my parents didn't send me to a private school that cost 20,000 a year or buy me a 600,000 dollar house....

So what if he was? Elites protesting against their own is not unheard of.

Penny Rimbaud (Jeremy Ratter) was born into an elite family. He was expelled from two public (that is private) schools, and studied philosophy at Oxford until he left after realising it was not education but indoctrination. He went on to become an anarchist, set up an open house (Dial House), and formed the anarchist band CRASS in 1977.

Here he is when he met the Beatles, note his plummy accent...

Here he is in 2007. Crass btw broke up in 1984...

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hmmmm, a few months for a harmless protest? Might as well kick some teeth in next protest and get your money's worth if you are going to jail a few months either way.......

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

So what if he was? Elites protesting against their own is not unheard of.

It wasn't a protest, it was a nuisance. And I already highlighted where the same type of thing in a football match levies much harder penalties.

He claims he is against elitism, yet he holds onto everything he got from it. Too bad. He could pass on everything, then try and claim it. But as I said, he has mommy, daddy issues and some built up anger probably at his former cohorts for god knows what reason. He's a joke.
edit on 21-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Jeremy Ratter didn't fit in with where his family put him (school), was kicked out of schools eventually setting up a hippie commune. There's nothing really wrong with it, but you can argue his projects were just as guilty of instilling "indoctrination" in followers, even though the principles are far different.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Hmmmm, a few months for a harmless protest? Might as well kick some teeth in next protest and get your money's worth if you are going to jail a few months either way.......

Just make sure you don't turn the lights off, you could end up with four years...

R v Ong 2001 1 Cr App R (S) 117
Plan to turn off lights at Premiership football match. D intended to financially gain by placing bets. 4 years.

That's a football match though. Probably just did that to the guy cause we know only elites watch football.

/sarcasm

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

It wasn't a protest, it was a nuisance.

What's the difference?

If you're not being a nuisance you're not protesting.

Did you watch the vids at all? You might find them interesting.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I did, but I don't see how it has any relevance to the OP.

Here's something that does, the backstory to the judge that sentenced the swimmer:

I knew I wanted to be a judge from when I was five. I come from the North West and when I grew up it was not common to move to London, and if you did, you needed to have a job to pay your way. So there was no way I could have gone to the Bar where income was irregular and uncertain. I became a solicitor, and was fortunate to become involved in some amazing litigation with a very high profile organisation. Through this I met and worked with a range of people and became a 'leader in my field' which gave me the opportunity to become a Recorder.

When I decided I wanted to go for full-time appointment, I realised that this did not fit with being the head of department in a City firm. I was responsible for a group of lawyers, a number of clients and had to report to the partnership. This was not compatible with pursuing a full time appointment. Partnerships require annual budgets and quarterly, if not weekly reviews. Clients have to be nurtured and prioritised. This is not consistent with trying to get a job elsewhere.

So a group of lawyers in my department got together and devised a plan. We moved to a smaller firm, SGH. I would pursue a full time appointment and responsibility for the practice would pass over that time to the person who had been senior associate in our team. It was a three year strategy and involved the cooperation and support of all members of our group, as well as the support and understanding of SGH partners. I continued to sit as a Recorder as often as possible and I also joined the Parole Board to learn more about serious crime and sentencing. As a Parole Board member I conducted a number of oral hearings in prisons across the UK which was invaluable experience. Through this work I met and worked with probation officers, which did a great deal to increase my understanding of what is involved in custodial and non custodial sentences.

jac.judiciary.gov.uk...

Damn elitists....

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

What relevance is there between a protest, and some dude trying to rig a bet? I don't see any similarities here.....

If I knew I was gonna get jail time for a protest, you bet your ass I am gonna make it worth my while.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

You're not protesting if no one knows what you're doing at the time or why you are doing it.

edit on 10/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The point of the vids was to show you that the guys background is irrelevant, and your point was irrelevant. The judges background is irrelevant, social climbing is the game.

"Never Go Against the Family, Fredo!"

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
reply to post by boncho

The point of the vids was to show you that the guys background is irrelevant, and your point was irrelevant. The judges background is irrelevant, social climbing is the game.

"Never Go Against the Family, Fredo!"

The judges background is relevant because she was part of the story in the OP.

The CRASS member, not so much.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
You're not protesting if no one knows what you're doing at the time or why you are doing it.

Good wisdom there bro.

A lot of people in this thread seem to have no idea what goes on at elitist events, and the long tradition of people protesting at them. Acts of civil disobedience don't have to be explained at the time of the act. The point is to bring issues to peoples attention, after the act. Us disusing it on ATS is attention to the issue. What he did obviously had an effect.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

It wasn't a protest, it was a nuisance.

What's the difference?

Did you watch the vids at all? You might find them interesting.

Many protests have crossed the line of protesting to criminal action. It's nothing new. Why shouldn't we just take everything we want by force? Well, some order needs to be in place.

How many labs have been blown up in protest to animal testing, bio-engineering, etc? Should we support those actions because the people doing it believe they are right?

The person who jumped in the water wasn't protesting, he has a personal grudge against people he resents. And he targeted a group of people (the boat racers) who don't represent that group any more than the customers of a jewelry shop would.

If I was the judge I would have thrown in a publication ban as well.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

The judges background is relevant because she was part of the story in the OP.

The CRASS member, not so much.

But you posted it in response to my post on Crass. I posted the vids to make a point you obviously fail to grasp.

How is the judge story relevant to the OP? How is the protestors background relevant to his life now? Again I posted the vids as an example of my point, his family background is not relevant. People from elite backgrounds can see the reality of it and realise it needs to end.

You were simply trying to discredit the protestor.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Good wisdom there bro.

A lot of people in this thread seem to have no idea what goes on at elitist events, and the long tradition of people protesting at them. Acts of civil disobedience don't have to be explained at the time of the act. The point is to bring issues to peoples attention, after the act. Us disusing it on ATS is attention to the issue. What he did obviously had an effect.

The only issue he has highlighted to me, is that people who are given too much by their parents, like $600k houses, $20k/month, educations, sure as hell don't appreciate it and they end up being spoiled pricks.

If he is so altruistic as he claims, with inherent urge to alleviate class gaps, he could have used everything he has to make real changes within the class system he came from.

Instead, he takes the high valued possessions and status (degrees) from that life, and throws a tantrum looking for support for himself while claiming to fight for a cause.

How much you want to bet he has a class system amongst his friends as well, where he somehow is at the top....

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

How is the protestors background relevant to his life now?

The same way Bernie Maddoff's background would be relevant to a new investor group.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Many protests have crossed the line of protesting to criminal action. It's nothing new. Why shouldn't we just take everything we want by force? Well, some order needs to be in place.

I see you're of the 'protests are OK as long as they abide by the rules' crowd. The most effective protests break the law, sorry.

How many labs have been blown up in protest to animal testing, bio-engineering, etc? Should we support those actions because the people doing it believe they are right?

They wouldn't do that. But I guess you believe they do because you read some story somewhere?

The person who jumped in the water wasn't protesting, he has a personal grudge against people he resents. And he targeted a group of people (the boat racers) who don't represent that group any more than the customers of a jewelry shop would.

If I was the judge I would have thrown in a publication ban as well.

Hmmm wrong. He was protesting the whole concept of the elite, of which the boat race is a central image in the UK. I keep saying this but the boating regattas in the UK are central to the social scene of the elites. They are a good target for pretesting the elite, have been for decades.

It's not the simple boat race you think it is. The Oxford-Cambridge boat race is a private race between the two high-brow elite universities, same every year. Not a race open for people to compete.

edit on 10/21/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The same way Bernie Maddoff's background would be relevant to a new investor group.

Huh?

That is not even the same thing bro. He was protesting, not offering to invest my life's fortune. The judge, regardless of his background is now well seated within the ranks of the elite. To him a protestor is a protestor, nothing more nothing less.

Again you fail miserably to understand why I posted the vids about Penny Rimbaud, maybe there is slim chance if you actually watch the vids you'll get a clue.

And how about responding to my other points?

edit on 10/21/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I see you're of the 'protests are OK as long as they abide by the rules' crowd. The most effective protests break the law, sorry.

You are wrong here. As it's been shown historically that some protests or direct action end in a better outcome for the general populace, or one group in particular that perhaps wasn't doing so well.

The problem in this case, is the person claims to care about "commoners" or be protesting on their behalf, but targeted a group of people (the rowers and the fans) who don't necessarily have to be from the elite crowd to be participants or fans.

They wouldn't do that. But I guess you believe they do because you read some story somewhere?

Well, actually I worked directly with a few companies that had very strigent protocols because in the past they were targeted. I'm surprised your not familiar but a quick google search will bring up a number of incidents or examples.

www.guardian.co.uk...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.adl.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Hmmm wrong. He was protesting the whole concept of the elite, of which the boat race is a central image in the UK. I keep saying this but the boating regattas in the UK are central to the social scene of the elites. They are a good target for pretesting the elite, have been for decades.

It's not the simple boat race you think it is. The Oxford-Cambridge boat race is a private race between the two high-brow elite universities, same every year. Not a race open for people to compete.

Again, you are completely wrong. I know rowers who have come from humble beginnings and had very humble lives afterward. One is police officer, and not the ones that go around beating people up for no reason. Very nice guy. Was an okay rower...

He could have just as easily protested at a private banking institution, office, or event centred around private banking. Most "common people" don't even know what private banking is, let alone what it involves. A hint, is that you need a net worth of over a million usually just to get into the club. Even then your considered a small fry. Of course, even then, depending on how disruptive you are, you may be taking out your aggressions on people that work for the institution who aren't necessarily part of the club.

-

The fellow that jumped in the river is from the elite crowd. And he just up and chooses the boating event because in his eyes he thinks it represents the elite?

Newsflash, he could have signed over half million dollar home daddy bought him to a bunch of homeless people to make the same point. And had he done so, at least it might have been received in a positive light. Maybe then his claims would fit with his character.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Bernie has a history of fraud. Investors would be keen on knowing that were he to be free working as he used to.

Trenton Oldfield is from an elitist family, and has the fruits of everything that provided to him. I think people believing his BS ought to know just the same. No?

<< 3  4  5   >>

join