It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of Minnesota bans free online education [update: State relents under pressure]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Even if they block or ban or even report IP's...the clever folks can use ways around that...mirror sites...etc...or just use TOR browser...It's a pretty cool thing. I have it but rarely use it. It was designed so people in foreign countries could get around internet blocks....TOR stand for "The Onion Router"...you can download it for free. Allows web access while not disclosing your IP address. Check it out...but beware...this is the door to the "secret" internet.

edit on 10/19/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/19/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sevensheeps

They will stop it like they just did, but coming down on the provider, and that is the problem.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
How much must Wikipedia owe Minnesota then?

Goodness they may even want to charge ATS, and I think anyone teaching hardline religion should most certainly pay "compensation for the victims!"

If there's any democracy in this state, whoever tried to enforce this law should either be sacked or unelected. Hopefully the people in this state will take the time away from KFC to do so -assuming they can read the map to their nearest polling station
-we wouldn't want them learning by word of mouth, that after all would require a license!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
There used to be a time when "education" was a hobby. Something those with extra free time on their hand did. The first school in America was put in place simply to teach kids how to read the King James Bible. Now "education" is all but required to even live a normal life in this country. There is no freedom because you must become a slave before you can be free. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then please, kindly, go waste 4 year and around $100,000 at your local university, graduate, and work at Walmart.

Education is not the solution. It never has been. It never will be.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sevensheeps

Wait.. you get a certificate as opposed to a diploma? What does this certificate look like? Is this something an employer would take seriously?

Can you post a picture of a certificate?

On my resume I have a courses chapter and if I fill in the different kind of courses I took to improve myself in a professional way and personal I must add. It will look really good if for example I got it from Charles Cockell, Professor of Astrobiology at the University of Edinburgh. Because if anyone asks I will add this.

Charles Cockell is Professor of Astrobiology at the University of Edinburgh. He received his doctorate at the University of Oxford and was a National Research Council Associate at the NASA Ames Research Centre. He was a visiting scholar at Stanford University and the University of Arizona. Cockell is currently Director of the UK Centre for Astrobiology and his research interests focus on how microbes survive in extreme environments, including volcanic and impact crater environments.

Cockell is a Senior Editor of the journal, Astrobiology. His popular science books include ‘Impossible Extinction’ (Cambridge University Press), which explores the tenacity of microbes on the Earth, and ‘Space on Earth’ (Macmillan) which looks at the links between environmentalism and space exploration. He is Chair of the Earth and Space Foundation, a non-profit organisation he established in 1994. He was the first Chair of the Astrobiology Society of Britain.

Students who successfully complete the class will receive a certificate signed by the instructor. And that I can present with proof if anyone will ever ask, and they will.

Nobody can take that away from me, this in the real world would cost me or my employer a lot of money I and him usually are not willing to spend. Cause right now I can use the money for other things like essentials. This look insanely good on your resume, the more the better.

I had a teacher in business school, he was 50.

He did 5 master studies, and was planning on studying medicine because he thought it was fun. He told me, stay in school. Even when you work, always try to better yourself, to be a better person is why we are here.

My point is, it's free. You'll get official signed certificates, and did I tell you it's free

And I'll post a picture the second I am done just one more week to go with introduction to sustainability

Thanks for the answer. I'll be buying property in a few months to live off the utility grid with solar, wind power, well water etc. I don't plan to ever have a job or a resume ever again but I'll try to find some courses related to helping me live this lifestyle. I may want to find something to help me argue with city officials too. LOL Besides.. I'll need something to decorate my new place. I look forward to your certificate post.
edit on 19-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It seems to me people need to pay attention to exactly what is slipped in as laws or bills/legislations. In a case like this, its free, with nor certificate in the end or degree, therefore how that legislation even applies is questionable and now that people are becoming aware, it should be dealt with.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just because the state hasn't given authorization to the school doesn't mean they've BANNED free education. Born & raised in MN - it has some of the highest education standards in the country. It's all about education - free of otherwise. What about the free cooking classes and other free courses that tech colleges offer? If MN banned free education wouldn't those be banned as well. Public high schools - are those banned?

Anyway, the original article has been UPDATED as of 7:00pm to retract it's claims . . .

www.slate.com...

edit on 19-10-2012 by klhbrown because: sp

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by klhbrown
Just because the state hasn't given authorization to the school doesn't mean they've BANNED free education. Borned & raised in MN - it has some of the highest education standards in the country. It's all about education - free of otherwise. What about the free cooking classes and other free courses that tech colleges offer? If MN banned free education wouldn't those be banned as well. Public high schools - are those banned?

Anyway, the original article has been UPDATED as of 7:00pm to retract it's claims . . .

www.slate.com...

Thanks for the update!

In Victory for Common Sense, Minnesota Will Allow Free Online Courses After All

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

...For one day, Minnesota's Office of Higher Education felt the Internet's indignation as word spread that it was cracking down on free online college courses offered through Coursera and other websites.

... and that's how government works!

We tell them.... they obey.

It's so much easier this way.

Edit to Add: Does anyone know which "other" websites had been impacted... was there a list?
edit on 19-10-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Just because the state hasn't given authorization to the school doesn't mean they've BANNED free education. Born & raised in MN - it has some of the highest education standards in the country. It's all about education - free of otherwise. What about the free cooking classes and other free courses that tech colleges offer? If MN banned free education wouldn't those be banned as well. Public high schools - are those banned?

www.slate.com...
/minnesota_bans_coursera_state_takes_bold_stand_against_free_education.html

Star and props for you. I pulled this from your link.

UPDATE, Oct. 19, 7:07 p.m.: Common sense has indeed prevailed! Minnesota has decided to stop enforcing an outdated law that had led to Coursera telling the state's residents they weren't allowed to take its free online classes. For more, see my follow-up post here.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

www.slate.com...
/minnesota_bans_coursera_state_takes_bold_stand_against_free_education.html

Star and props change laws to make sure
for you. I pulled this from your link.

UPDATE, Oct. 19, 7:07 p.m.: Common sense has indeed prevailed! Minnesota has decided to stop enforcing an outdated law that had led to Coursera telling the state's residents they weren't allowed to take its free online classes. For more, see my follow-up post here.

Yes! Instead of banning free education the state has, in fact, stopped enforcement of the law preventing it. Star & flag for Minnesota! Lol!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yeah next we'll be hearing about swat raids of people for being on the educational website... Sigh! These idiots can't stop folks from logging on to a website and taking the course. SCREW the state of Minnesota, Hopefully Minnesotans will ignore this idiocy and tell the bureauRats to stuff it where the sun don't shine.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Money over everything, the only thing that matters.

edit on 19-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
creed in education, who would have thought of it?
free for the asking, and no paying for the loans. what will happen to the world?
well it is an old law so hopefully they will do the right thing., one would think

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Uh, erm, folks, have any of you bothered to read the Slate link? It's been updated: Minnesota is no longer enforcing this out-dated law. Besides which, this law was meant to protect people from substandard education programs that cost money; it was written before there was a notion that free, online education would be provided.

So move along, ATS'ers, there's nothing to see here or wring one's hands about -- besides the fact that ATS'ers love to pile-on on some issue without bothering to check the facts of the matter.

That said, just tried to go to coursera's website, but the page fails to load, i.e. the site is either overloaded or not working, but in any case I am not impressed by couresera so far.
edit on 20-10-2012 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
hahah how sad, life must really suck there, that the STATE has to keep people stupid so they wont become educated and realise the state sucks and leave HAHA

no but really, to protect the people from paying for a bogus class, hell i went to a real school and still think half those class were bogus. i can se this ,i really can, the only problem is
a. there is no fee you dumb dumbs
b. its on the WORLD WIDE WEB haha, cant wait for news reports of storm troopers shooting dogs and riping peoples internet cable boxes out of the walls because they were learning HAHAHA

maybe what the mean to say is we already have enough smart people, we dont want the dumb ones getting any ideas lol

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

DAMN WHY DIDNT I SEE THIS, lol what eva its late/too early for me anyways hehe glad they changed it ,

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive
reply to post by Maxmars

Uh, erm, folks, have any of you bothered to read the Slate link? It's been updated: Minnesota is no longer enforcing this out-dated law. Besides which, this law was meant to protect people from substandard education programs that cost money; it was written before there was a notion that free, online education would be provided.

So move along, ATS'ers, there's nothing to see here or wring one's hands about -- besides the fact that ATS'ers love to pile-on on some issue without bothering to check the facts of the matter.

That said, just tried to go to coursera's website, but the page fails to load, i.e. the site is either overloaded or not working, but in any case I am not impressed by couresera so far.
edit on 20-10-2012 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

I did, just a moment ago
It was bedtime for me yesterday. It's morning now so a nice cup of coffee and my daily ATS and I'm up and running again

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

As much as it sucks, it pays the bills.

(to bad I have more bills then I get payed lol:puz

edit on 20/10/12 by sevensheeps because: because

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Keeping a populace ignorant is the easiest way to subjugate it. Mushrooms.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join