It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of Minnesota bans free online education [update: State relents under pressure]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

State of Minnesota bans free online education

www.theregister.co.uk

Web-based education startup Coursera offers university-level courses "for anyone to take, for free" – anyone, that is, except residents of the US state of Minnesota, where free online education has been declared illegal.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reports that the Minnesota Office of Higher Education has told Coursera that it must not offer its free courses in the Land of 10,000 Lakes because it has not received authorization from the state government to do so.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Slate

Chronicle
edit on 19-10-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
According to the authorities, anyone offering educational services in the state of Minnesota must pay for the privilege, as well as a yearly renewal fee.

The rationale: To keep Minnesotan citizens from being scammed out of their hard-earned money by shady unaccredited 'degree' offering schools.

But, this is free... and they don't offer any degrees... just knowledge.

Not that Coursera qualifies as a "postsecondary institution," as such. But the site offers courses developed by 33 accredited universities worldwide, ranging from Stanford University in California to Switzerland's École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, and these institutions definitely do qualify.

Apparently the cash-starved establishment feels it would be appropriate to bar their citizens from taking advantage of the free service unless the universities who did develop the course material pay them a fee.

In the meantime, it is illegal to "learn anything" from this particular site... as long as you want to live in Minnesota.

Kind of weird position to take... unless the brick and mortar universities are jealous that their choke-hold on knowledge is being threatened.

Coursera has responded to Minnesota's demands by adding a new clause to its Terms:

If you are a resident of Minnesota, you agree that either (1) you will not take courses on Coursera, or (2) for each class that you take, the majority of work you do for the class will be done from outside the State of Minnesota.

www.theregister.co.uk

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Wow... Imagine that. So in Minnesota I must ask the State Government if someone has their permission and blessings to help me Deny Ignorance? Now that's just something else...isn't it? You would think states would be as happy as everyone else to see some of the major Universities offering a course here and there 100% free and to anyone who cares to sign up.

I never thought we'd see a Government (State, in this case) literally in the business of using ignorance as a tool for revenue. How pathetic...how utterly shameful. I smell a whole state government structure that probably needs attention at the voting booth. Heck with national races and electoral colleges people hate...This is what going to vote matters most for, IMO.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wow, what a thoroughly stupid and backwater stance to take on things.

We have, literally, the entire culmination of human knowledge at our fingertips, and anyone can learn anything they want. If I lived in Minn, I would do it, anyhow. My mind is my own. No one will tell me what I can, and cannot, learn.

Ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Sadly,these are the kind of people that rule us.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Perhaps the person(s) who passed that little piece of state legislature could have used a little "free" education, because if they had, they would have been able to consider all the lasting ramifications. This proposition was left dreadfully vauge and comprehensive that makes that damages positive institutions, while trying to prevent negative ones.

Timez to getz me some book learningz

Lets all have a collective facepalm moment

edit on 19-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
makes sense in a "for profit" educational society. I'm sure other states will follow. Down here in TX they've had to have the state gov step in to put a halt to the annual tuition increases which started around 8 years ago (I think) when they deregulated it

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I don't agree with his at all. Being a Minnesotan myself, I was unaware that they had made it illegal at all. I knew people who were taking online courses, I even took one through my school. Granted that was 2 years ago. Well our local gov't here has been getting worse over the years.

All I can say is it's dumb and people should have the right to FREE knowledge, since nothing else is free.

-SAP-

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Saddened to hear this kind of news . People at top have lost their senses

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

State of Minnesota bans free online education

www.theregister.co.uk

Web-based education startup Coursera offers university-level courses "for anyone to take, for free" – anyone, that is, except residents of the US state of Minnesota, where free online education has been declared illegal.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reports that the Minnesota Office of Higher Education has told Coursera that it must not offer its free courses in the Land of 10,000 Lakes because it has not received authorization from the state government to do so.

Related News Links:
Slate

Chronicle

Hahahahahaha
how in the love of everything will they enforce this?

I follow courses on coursera, and I love it. It's so good, you have study groups, online forums, best universities, really cool teachers, free text books, online tests, skype colleges and it's free too? I follow Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life, Critical Thinking in Global Challenges and Introduction to Sustainability.

I get certificates that will improve my professional life for free. This looks good on my resume, this looks good on my brain
and I can learn (almost)everything FOR FREE.

Problem Minnesota?

I don't get it, why would you stop empowerment of humanity? Even my boss loves it because he doesn't have to spend a dime on me improving myself trough courses. And he will pay me more if I prove that I actually learn from it, so I can improve his business(of course). But the most important part is I improve myself.

This is a clear sign in what state the education system is in Minnesota, corrupted!
edit on 19/10/12 by sevensheeps because: typo's

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Im glad you posted this op. That will become my new favorite site

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

LOL!!! how in the hell is this even conceivably possible to hold water legally???....lets call a thing a thing...this is censorship and a violation of the 1st amendment...

So let me get this straight...is it even possible...to learn anything for free in Minnesota? ...this is beyond stupid...

this law is on par with those age old laws that make holding hands in public illegal...

glad I never liked Minnesota in the first place...eh...
edit on 19-10-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Since when did you have to have the government's permission to teach something to someone else?

I'd like to see them try to enforce this...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Free education is the invention of the communism, it's purely political decision...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
Free education is the invention of the communism, it's purely political decision...

Are you serious?

I mean really? I don't know why you would say something like that? You think education is something political that you can shove in a corner and ignore? People need education, and free education means easy access to education. And that equals empowerment. What is wrong with that?

edit on 19/10/12 by sevensheeps because: typo's

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I have to echo those who have asked how this can be enforced?

Perhaps blocking the site at a state level (is that even possible?) Maybe they can get ISPs (ever compliant since the Patriot Act) to snitch on Minnesotans who dare to use the service.

Regardless of how they want to enforce it, it will be a waste of taxpayer money.

There are other such sites, some international. There are initiatives in major universities all over the country to make this kind of education possible.

Perhaps they fear a self-taught person will challenge them beyond their ability to cope.

Or maybe, they are desperate for money... because as the federal government uses their funds as a 'carrot on a stick' to get states to conform to their authority, those who resist find their education systems starving for support.

In the end, I am confident that reason will prevail. No one can be so obtuse and "misaligned" to the point of finding any virtue in denying ignorance.

If money is "free speech"... knowledge is a grenade launcher.

Maxmars

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sevensheeps

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that state of Minnesota made a political decision and is pure example how politics is part of everything.
I agree with you.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
reply to post by sevensheeps

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that state of Minnesota made a political decision and is pure example how politics is part of everything.
I agree with you.

It's alright dude
But why communism? What's so bad about free education for everyone and anyone?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

If money is "free speech"... knowledge is a grenade launcher.

Star for that!

If you use VPN they can't touch you, it will be a waste of taxpayers money. You got that right!

But I still don't get it, who are they to intervene your personal space like that? In my country we would laugh our asses off if anyone in politics would make a statement like that. Nobody would take that serious at all, and we would just keep on doing it. How is it possible that a government can make statements as such?

Incredible

edit on 19/10/12 by sevensheeps because: typo

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
That just goes to show you that the NEA and their brethren are not for education, just for their own profit and control.

I just signed up for an upcoming course in nuclear reactor technology. Given the current state of affairs in the world today I thought it would be interesting to learn something about the technology that seems to be threatening our very existence.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join