It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salt Lake Tribune Endorses Barack Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, I don't have a heck of a lot to say about this since I think the whole thing is a sham anyways.

However, this does seem awfully news worthy.

Sadly, it is not the only Romney, as his campaign for the White House has made abundantly clear, first in his servile courtship of the tea party in order to win the nomination, and now as the party’s shape-shifting nominee. From his embrace of the party’s radical right wing, to subsequent portrayals of himself as a moderate champion of the middle class, Romney has raised the most frequently asked question of the campaign: "Who is this guy, really, and what in the world does he truly believe?"

In considering which candidate to endorse, The Salt Lake Tribune editorial board had hoped that Romney would exhibit the same talents for organization, pragmatic problem-solving and inspired leadership that he displayed here more than a decade ago. Instead, we have watched him morph into a friend of the far right, then tack toward the center with breathtaking aplomb. Through a pair of presidential debates, Romney’s domestic agenda remains bereft of detail and worthy of mistrust. Therefore, our endorsement must go to the incumbent, a competent leader who, against tough odds, has guided the country through catastrophe and set a course that, while rocky, is pointing toward a brighter day. The president has earned a second term. Romney, in whatever guise, does not deserve a first.

Too Many Mitts

Well, there you have it. The shapeshifting Romney is too much for the Mormon home-country's own paper to endorse him. I find all of this rather amusing and look forward to the responses. Maybe someone from Salt Lake can shed more light on this. Is the paper the 'lefty paper' in Salt Lake, or do they really just despise Mitt this much?

For the record, I am voting, but not for either of the clowns in the debates!

Cheers!
edit on 19-10-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: grammar police

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The Salt Lake Trib is owned by the LDS church. Just so everyone is aware.
I live in Utah, and dont worry, come election time this will still be a republican state.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangerdanger
I live in Utah, and dont worry, come election time this will still be a republican state.

Well this is quite interesting. I have no doubt that Utah is going to Romney - but I find it very interesting that an LDS owned paper would endorse Obama. I wish I would've known that when I made the thread. "LDS owned newspaper endorses Obama" would've been a bit more catchy

Thanks for the info!

Also, since when do you only have 4 hours to edit a post? or is that only for thread starters? ETA: I started the thread less than 4 hours ago, but it still says 'you've gone over the maximum allowed 4 hours to edit' or something like that...weird...

Cheers and happy friday!
edit on 19-10-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by UdonNiedtuno

Is it just me or is this just about the most damning thing that could have happened to Mitt?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
No surprise considering who owns this newspaper.

William Dean Singleton is the Chairman of the Board at Associated Press and founder and CEo of MediaNews Group.

The Same man indicated in this story...

The charade ended long ago in regard to the dominant media’s “objectivity.” Tuesday’s love letter to President Obama from the chairman of the Associated Press just confirms the obvious.

The only thing separating AP Chairman and newspaper mogul Dean Singleton’s gushing introduction of President Obama to an Associated Press luncheon in a fancy Washington hotel from an Obama 2012 campaign rally was the absence of the line, “and now the next president of the United States.”

You would never imagine Singleton was describing a president who in just over three years has added nearly $5 trillion to the national debt — more than twice that of the Bush administration’s eight years.

www.theblaze.com...

This new endorsment of Obama is a simple progression for this MEDIA MOGUL... and it means NOTHING!!

He also owns the Denver Post..

Pay attention

William Dean Singleton is the chairman and publisher of the Denver Post and the chairman of the board of directors of the Associated Press. Singleton is the CEO of MediaNews Group. The company publishes 56 daily newspapers in 12 states. Singleton likes to either buy his competition or run them out of business so that his print media is the only source of news in each market. Denver's other newspaper, The Rocky Mountain News, folded a couple of years ago and Singleton now controls the information in the Denver area. If you live in any of the areas controlled by Singleton, you are reading only what he wants you to know and nothing more.

With that control, Singleton allegedly has politicians "run things by him" to avoid bad press. Apparently, Colorado senator Michael Bennet is in good with Singleton. The Post refused to run a story about Bennet's controversial 2008 restructuring of Colorado school pension plans, placing them at the mercy of Wall Street, now costing Colorado tax payers a lot of money due to the LIBOR scandal. The Denver Business Journal broke the story instead of the city's only major newspaper.

The Denver Post also painted a very different picture of the Democratic then-candidate Michael Bennet in 2010. They portrayed him as a Washington outsider who would change things. In reality, Bennet grew up in D.C., is the son of a U.S. Ambassador and led a privileged Washington life attending the private prep school St. Albans. He also worked for the Clinton's, which explains why President Bill Clinton flew to Colorado to campaign with him and for him during his senate campaign.

Singleton isn't just friendly with the Democrats. He is an equal opportunity scumbag. He'll squash a story to save the reputation of any politician that will do him a favor. And Singleton isn't the only one.

politics.gather.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Thats Ok. It happens.

Four years after throwing its support behind then-presidential candidate Barack Obama, the Orlando Sentinel is saying it's time to change course. In an editorial announcing the paper's endorsement of GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, the editorial board of the large Florida daily delivers some harsh criticisms of the president, while admitting that they're not entirely satisfied with Romney's positions. "We have little confidence that Obama would be more successful managing the economy and the budget in the next four years," the editorial board writes, after outlining their displeasure with nagging deficits and a slow economic recovery. "For that reason, though we endorsed him in 2008, we are recommending Romney in this race."

The Sentinel is not alone in expressing dissatisfaction with a candidate they endorsed in 2008. The Tennessean, a pro-Obama paper four years ago, came out with a Romney endorsement earlier this week.

Orlando Sentinel Endorses Mitt Romney After Supporting Obama In 2008

In the same article.......

The New York Observer, owned by Donald Trump's son-in-law, also recently announced its support for Romney after backing Obama in 2008.

I know this. If a paper is really backing Obama, then they should put ALL his cards on the Table, not just the High suit cards........

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by rangerdanger

I don't think the Salt Lake Tribune is owned by the LDS church, it just doesn't make much sense because they seem anti LDS on a lot of issues.

en.wikipedia.org...

It doesn't say anything about SLT being owned by the LDS church. There might be a affiliate with Deseret News but that is all I can find out. I have not delved into it totally, I don't think it is owned by the LDS church though.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
The Salt Lake what?

Never heard of it.

You have one more chance to amuse me.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The SLC Tribune's endorsement would have been a surprise only if they endorsed anyone BUT Obama. In 2008 the SLC Tribune endorsed Obama over McCain.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
They put this all over reddit, too. I'm sick of hearing it. Take this bs back over there.

(ftr, I don't like Mitt either)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
No surprise considering who owns this newspaper.

William Dean Singleton is the Chairman of the Board at Associated Press and founder and CEo of MediaNews Group.

The Same man indicated in this story...

The charade ended long ago in regard to the dominant media’s “objectivity.” Tuesday’s love letter to President Obama from the chairman of the Associated Press just confirms the obvious.

The only thing separating AP Chairman and newspaper mogul Dean Singleton’s gushing introduction of President Obama to an Associated Press luncheon in a fancy Washington hotel from an Obama 2012 campaign rally was the absence of the line, “and now the next president of the United States.”

You would never imagine Singleton was describing a president who in just over three years has added nearly $5 trillion to the national debt — more than twice that of the Bush administration’s eight years.

www.theblaze.com...

This new endorsment of Obama is a simple progression for this MEDIA MOGUL... and it means NOTHING!!

He also owns the Denver Post..

Pay attention

William Dean Singleton is the chairman and publisher of the Denver Post and the chairman of the board of directors of the Associated Press. Singleton is the CEO of MediaNews Group. The company publishes 56 daily newspapers in 12 states. Singleton likes to either buy his competition or run them out of business so that his print media is the only source of news in each market. Denver's other newspaper, The Rocky Mountain News, folded a couple of years ago and Singleton now controls the information in the Denver area. If you live in any of the areas controlled by Singleton, you are reading only what he wants you to know and nothing more.

With that control, Singleton allegedly has politicians "run things by him" to avoid bad press. Apparently, Colorado senator Michael Bennet is in good with Singleton. The Post refused to run a story about Bennet's controversial 2008 restructuring of Colorado school pension plans, placing them at the mercy of Wall Street, now costing Colorado tax payers a lot of money due to the LIBOR scandal. The Denver Business Journal broke the story instead of the city's only major newspaper.

The Denver Post also painted a very different picture of the Democratic then-candidate Michael Bennet in 2010. They portrayed him as a Washington outsider who would change things. In reality, Bennet grew up in D.C., is the son of a U.S. Ambassador and led a privileged Washington life attending the private prep school St. Albans. He also worked for the Clinton's, which explains why President Bill Clinton flew to Colorado to campaign with him and for him during his senate campaign.

Singleton isn't just friendly with the Democrats. He is an equal opportunity scumbag. He'll squash a story to save the reputation of any politician that will do him a favor. And Singleton isn't the only one.

politics.gather.com...

Considering theblaze.com article apparently believes that $5T is twice as much as $5T, I don't think they are very credible. Besides, adding $5T to $10T is not as bad as adding $5T to $5T (rough numbers.)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76
They put this all over reddit, too. I'm sick of hearing it. Take this bs back over there.

(ftr, I don't like Mitt either)

Wow, pal. I have been on reddit a total of 3 minutes in my life, I wouldn't know what is or isn't all over reddit. A coworker showed me this article and I figured users of this site might be interested in it, judging by a few stars and a few flags there were indeed some people who found it interesting. Also, it brought out some good info about the paper and how this really isn't surprising. Had I the time to go research that myself on the front end I probably would have never posted this. It's one of the benefits of this site - the cumulative knowledge.

Also, if you are sick of hearing about it, why in the world would you take the time to click on it, and then post a reply, you don't want to see it, don't click on it!

Sorry to have offended your sensibilities with the thread.
edit on 22-10-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: (no reason given)

top topics

join