It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon Feminists Unsurprised By Mitt Romney's 'Binders' Comment, Mostly Supporting Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It seems that not all Mormons are supporting Romney, specifically women Mormons. And they aren't all that happy about Romney's "Binder" comment.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

One group was not surprised to hear Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's comments about "binders of women" at the presidential debate this week - Mormon feminists.

The Mormons are a voting bloc that was supposed to be solid in Romney's favor, I am very surprised that there is a group of them opposing him. I am not surprised that it is a group of women. Romney doesn't do very well with women voters.

Romney's phrase, delivered in the presidential debate on Tuesday and which quickly went viral on social media, underscored the tensions over the role of women in the church.
when he then described setting up a flexible schedule for a senior aide so that she could go home and make dinner for her family, he was speaking in the church's paternalistic language that casts women ultimately as mothers, she said.

"The emphasis on them (women) being seen as leaders or them being seen as breadwinners is still really missing from our rhetoric," Hickman said. Romney's response put that "on full display," she added.

What I keep hearing from women is that it really wasn't the "Binder" comment as much as it was Romney saying he was flexible with schedules so women could go home and cook dinner. I can see how women could take that as a slap in the face. He is saying, "sure, you can work for me, but make sure you get home and cook your husband dinner".

Overall, there has been a gender gap during this election. With all the Rape comments, birth control comments (calling women who take birth control sluts), and working women issues (equal pay, etc.), it really shouldn't be a surprise that the GOP has a gender gap.

But the GOP doesn't seem to get it, just recently Ryan was joking about the "war on women" at a private fundraiser.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Now it’s a war on women; tomorrow it’s going to be a war on left-handed Irishmen or something like that,” Ryan told the crowd of donors

I don't think mocking women's issues are going to help them out that much with the gender gap.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
That's disheartening...I was hoping that if Romney won, he could get the LDS missionaries to stop door knocking my house. I assured them that I'm well past being saved, yet they continue to keep trying.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Reply to post by HostileApostle

sorry feminists but women have been playing the role of working moms for a long long time, i did and i would very much have appreciated a boss who provided me with a flexible schedule so i could go home and see to my kids without having my hours cut. most working mothers would not take offense to this, your twisting his lines to imply he is chauvanistic when in actuality he is ahead of his time. oh and most diehard feminists are not really the mothering kind so it really has nothing to do with them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
look another Huff and Puff and blow your common sense away article !

Glad the media isn't biased - really

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by alphacenturi

So, feminists opinon don't matter because you don't think they are motherly?

What an odd opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphacenturi

sorry feminists but women have been playing the role of working moms for a long long time, i did and i would very much have appreciated a boss who provided me with a flexible schedule so i could go home and see to my kids without having my hours cut. most working mothers would not take offense to this, your twisting his lines to imply he is chauvanistic when in actuality he is ahead of his time. oh and most diehard feminists are not really the mothering kind so it really has nothing to do with them.

Actually what he said was very sexist.

Do you think Father's would not like to be home with their kids? Were is the talk of giving Fathers a flexible schedule?

These is a HUGE double standard in this country. Women demand equality and they should have it. I agree with that 100%, but with that equality comes the same issues men have had to deal with as well. If a Man were to say that he needs to be home for his kids at 5pm and can not work until 7 or 8pm, no boss will grant him a "flexible schedule". That man would have his hours cut or be flat out fired.

Women should be no different.

THAT is equality.

How can someone demand equal work for equal pay but not be held to the same standard as their counterpart?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

dont get me wrong i believe in equality, but your comment taking romneys words to iimply that you can run home and make dinner for your husband is stretching it and implying that women are lowly housewives. he was actually trying to accomodate his female employees who are moms, not housewives, why would i leave my job early to run home and cook for a fullgrown man, lol, women do for their children is my point. and yes in answer to this partticular subject, most diehard feminists dont have children, so yeah this has nothing to do with them and i resent them speaking for working moms who do need a flexible schedule. no hard feelings k.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Now it’s a war on women; tomorrow it’s going to be a war on left-handed Irishmen or something like that,” Ryan told the crowd of donors

What the hell does Ryan have against the Irish? I noticed that he made a remark about being Irish when Biden substituted the word "stuff' for another word that starts with "S" during the VEEP debate.....

.....maybe some day the discrimination and racial slurs against the Irish will stop.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

Banned?? Good work.

Romney's binder? Would it have been better if he said he had a folio or a file full of professional contacts of qualified women for a variety of positions? That's how contacts were kept in the old days. Files, and a Rolodex full of business cards. That's how it is still done in my circles with the supplement of Linkedin.

What a horrible piece of trash this story has become... Thanks MSM for this...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
NM
edit on 19-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Reply to post by MrWendal

sorry, i meant no disrespect, and i agree with you that fathers should have the same flexibility( i have 3 bros with kids who juggle too) i guess my point was, my past experiences with some, most, coworkers who were feminists made my worklife a living hell (bartender), my boss would be pissed at me because i couldnt be as flexible as them and work later hours on short notice if they needed me, i had young children, i would have thot that these so called rights for women ladies would have supported me, they did not and snickered right along with them how i had to go home and be a good little mama like it was a dirty word. i can say tho that im glad there are women that dont feel this way. cheers

top topics

join