It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numerologist on Dr. Oz?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Wow, ok. Dr. Oz devoted a whole one hour episode to a completely pseudo-scientific approach towards health.

The guest, Glynis McCants, a loud mouthed pythagorean numerologist - if that isn't a 'alarm bell' in itself, tried to connect ones personality and health to how many 'characters' are in your name. If you are a 1, you should eat 'these foods'.

Now, I'm a little dumbfounded. People are watching Dr. Oz and The Doctors with religiousness. They're looking for real advice. So what the hell is this? How is this real advice? It's no different from Madame Cleo.

My question is, this is CLEARLY propaganda related. Some piece of advice "Glyndis the Witch" (it just sounds right) offers is to just take off your shoes and touch the earth.

Now, of course, this is spiritual advice which might be valuable to many people, but WHAT THE [snipped] does it have to do with the nature of the Dr. Oz show? This is an invasion of new age spirituality into mainstream medical advice based on sound research. This co-mingling of the two disturbs me. And Dr. Oz is by no means taking an impartial stance; he is pretty much encouraging his audience to see this 'advice' as completely sound.
edit on Sat Oct 20 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The main issue is this.

Dr. Oz is a didactic show. It's about teaching people. It's not montel - with sylvia brown, or oprah. It's a show with a basis in 'educating' the public.

Pythagoran Numerology HAS NO PLACE on a show like Dr. Oz, and the fact that he had the temerity to put her on his show - a full hour, to boot - either shows how worthless his show is as a legitimate source for medical advice, or, he wants to normalize new age spiritual practices with his devoted viewers.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Interesting name Dr Oz.

Oz is another alias for Azazel who was one of the main seraphs who rebelled all those years ago.

Now Oz (Uzza, Uzazel) would do everything against YHWH. So promoting numerology as a new world religeon makes sense.

Notice recently how many ATS threads are also New Age religeon.

Everyone loves Dr Oz.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I understand what you are saying.....your opinion.

Now 4 the truth it's entertainment. They want to sell advertising time, no matter what they say or what you believe the bottom line is what matters.

Same as ATS.

Why do you think they have all the banners and pop-up ads?

it's all about the $$$$ they don't really care about you.
edit on 19-10-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
Wow, ok. Dr. Oz devoted a whole one hour episode to a completely pseudo-scientific approach towards health.

The guest, Glynis McCants, a loud mouthed pythagorean numerologist - if that isn't a 'alarm bell' in itself, tried to connect ones personality and health to how many 'characters' are in your name. If you are a 1, you should eat 'these foods'.

Now, I'm a little dumbfounded. People are watching Dr. Oz and The Doctors with religiousness. They're looking for real advice. So what the hell is this? How is this real advice? It's no different from Madame Cleo.
Since when did you become and expert at what exactly Dr. Oz's audience is looking for??? You know his target demographic? You have the numbers on whose watching, what they believe and what their "looking for"??? No, you don't...If people wanted "real advice" wouldn't they go to their own damn dr. instead of attempting to get it from TV???

My question is, this is CLEARLY propaganda related. Some piece of advice "Glyndis the Witch" (it just sounds right) offers is to just take off your shoes and touch the earth.

How...in the hell..is this offensive to you? What does touching the earth with bare feet do to anyone? How is this a "crime that must be stopped...?? Good lord man pick and chose your battles...if its nonsense then its nonsense and treat it as such...your irrational fear of something so completely harmless and mundane is truly what is concerning...

Now, of course, this is spiritual advice which might be valuable to many people, but WHAT THE F**K does it have to do with the nature of the Dr. Oz show?
This is an invasion of new age spirituality into mainstream medical advice based on sound research. This co-mingling of the two disturbs me. And Dr. Oz is by no means taking an impartial stance; he is pretty much encouraging his audience to see this 'advice' as completely sound.
Whose show is it again?? Ohh yea its not yours its Dr. Oz...guess that means he can do whatever the hell he want's with it doesn't it...I mean if he wanted to have circus clowns on for an hour juggling feathers....he very well could do that...

your hatred for anything outside the scientific box isn't going to keep people from that dangerous "new age science" stuff that tells them to go outside barefoot for a few minutes...that is just a travesty we will have to address later with laws, so we can keep people from making that life threatening mistake of standing on earth barefoot...imagine a world full of that...pure chaos i tell you....PURE CHAOS!!!

edit on 19-10-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
And Dr. Oz clearly believes in this (from his wikipedia page)

He grew up in a mixed Muslim environment where his father's family were conservatives who believed in the integration of Islam and government and his mother's family were more secular Muslims. [34] He has been influenced by the mysticism of Sufi Muslims, [35] as well as the ideas of Emanuel Swedenborg, the Swedish scientist, philosopher, and Christian theologian.[36] He recently wrote in Spirituality and Health Magazine: "As I came into contact with Swedenborg's many writings, I began to understand Swedenborg's profound insights and how they applied directly to my life." He mentions Swedenborg's ideas that marriage lasts throughout eternity, that everyone has a purpose in this world, and that God is love and Swedenborg's answers to "Why do bad things happen?"[37]

Oz is a practitioner of Transcendental Meditation. "When I meditate, I go to that place where truth lives," he said. "I can see what reality really is, and it is so much easier to form good relationships then."[3

This is the procedure glyndis uses.

Take your birthday, say, september 18 1987. So you have 9, 18 and 1987. Add them up and you get your 'number'.

This is based upon two presumptions. That there exists an organic connection between time and man. And, that the 12 months of the year and 30 days of the month and the gregorian calendar are actual representations of time.

But the calendar has been changed plenty of times! It wasn't even used until some guy said "Jesus was born THEN" and established a calendar from that point.

Now, apparently, this is an 'objective' thing, and not some arbitrary human invention.

Another point: would it work with the Muslim calendar? Or the Jewish calendar? Or only the Christian calendar?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

Oz is Hebrew for strength.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Since when did you become and expert at what exactly Dr. Oz's audience is looking for??? You know his target demographic? You have the numbers on whose watching, what they believe and what their "looking for"??? No, you don't...If people wanted "real advice" wouldn't they go to their own damn dr. instead of attempting to get it from TV???

Does that change the didactic nature of the show? Shouldn't his show be held to greater scrutiny than Montel or Oprah?

How...in the hell..is this offensive to you? What does touching the earth with bare feet do to anyone? How is this a "crime that must be stopped...?? Good lord man pick and chose your battles...if its nonsense then its nonsense and treat it as such...your irrational fear of something so completely harmless and mundane is truly what is concerning...

Are you serious? Again, I repeat, or rather, reread the point: His show is for EDUCATIVE purposes. It's called "Dr. Oz"; everyone of his episodes generally explores real issues. This is a sore thumb that sticks out, totally unrelated to the didactic quality of other episodes.

In fact, his homeopathy episode was far less egregious in terms of being 'pseudo' science, than this one, which relies in a fricken pythagorean numerology as it's medical basis!

My criticism is valid. And i'm sure my criticism will not be the end of it.

Ohh yea its not yours its Dr. Oz

It's not "his" show, but belongs to the network. He needs approval from his superiors just like everyone else.

your hatred for anything outside the scientific box isn't going to keep people from that dangerous "new age science" stuff that tells them to go outside barefoot for a few minutes..

For such a "spiritual" person you sure do have a hard time controlling your anger.

In any case, this deserves to be criticized.

One, it departs from the didactic quality of the show, which means, it oversteps and abuses it's power to influence public opinion.. And two, what is the intellectual basis of this 'pythagorean numerology". And what place does it have on a show like Dr. Oz?
edit on 19-10-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Alarm!! Alarm!! Someone call it in, we've found one who thinks TV is for educational purposes! Alarm! Alarm!

You want to learn something? Buy some books.
You want medical advice? See a Doctor.

You want mindless pointless entertainment? Watch TV.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I find this entire post offensive, OP.

Just because you dont believe in it, doesnt make it untrue. Or fit for television.

And I have to say, I have never had a friend come and tell me about an upcoming Dr. Oz episode.. until this one, I have had several different friends tell me about it before hand. So there is obviously some sort of curiosity about the subject matter.

Also, I think its important to WATCH the episode before determining that its anti-religious and the devil, or whatever your afraid of.

I dont believe in making an opinion about something without observing and collecting facts first.
Maybe watch the episode, then come to your own conclusion.. Instead of judging based off commercial snippets.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SamLuv

And I have to say, I have never had a friend come and tell me about an upcoming Dr. Oz episode.. until this one, I have had several different friends tell me about it before hand. So there is obviously some sort of curiosity about the subject matter.

I guess I 'over-shot' my target audience.

Also, I think its important to WATCH the episode before determining that its anti-religious and the devil, or whatever your afraid of.

I did watch it. It was hilarious.

Overall, the Dr. Oz show is good in promoting a healthier way of living. But I just don't see the scientific value or validity, in pythagorean numerology. It is the most ridiculous thing, and i'm sure many, more educated viewers will be turned off by it.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
And Dr. Oz clearly believes in this (from his wikipedia page)

He grew up in a mixed Muslim environment where his father's family were conservatives who believed in the integration of Islam and government and his mother's family were more secular Muslims. [34] He has been influenced by the mysticism of Sufi Muslims, [35] as well as the ideas of Emanuel Swedenborg, the Swedish scientist, philosopher, and Christian theologian.[36] He recently wrote in Spirituality and Health Magazine: "As I came into contact with Swedenborg's many writings, I began to understand Swedenborg's profound insights and how they applied directly to my life." He mentions Swedenborg's ideas that marriage lasts throughout eternity, that everyone has a purpose in this world, and that God is love and Swedenborg's answers to "Why do bad things happen?"[37]

Oz is a practitioner of Transcendental Meditation. "When I meditate, I go to that place where truth lives," he said. "I can see what reality really is, and it is so much easier to form good relationships then."[3

This is the procedure glyndis uses.

Take your birthday, say, september 18 1987. So you have 9, 18 and 1987. Add them up and you get your 'number'.

This is based upon two presumptions. That there exists an organic connection between time and man. And, that the 12 months of the year and 30 days of the month and the gregorian calendar are actual representations of time.
more accurately a representation of that very specific point in space that you were born into the world...and all the subsequent astrological points in space in relation to each other at that point in time of your birth...The Gregorian Calendar although religious was a correction of the Julian calendar that wasn't accounting for slight changes over time...over thousands of years that slight change became a big change...The Vatican corrected that method of keeping time...which all it really is, is keeping track of the earth in relation to other objects in space...sun, moon, constellations etc...

But the calendar has been changed plenty of times! It wasn't even used until some guy said "Jesus was born THEN" and established a calendar from that point.
this is entirely false...since man has been keeping track of earth and the movement of heavily bodies it has consequently had a calender...because that is all a calender really is...

Now, apparently, this is an 'objective' thing, and not some arbitrary human invention.
this is where the speculation is...and I only say speculation because quantum mechanics is still pretty young...but it is all trying to address the relations in our physical world on the smallest known or conceived levels...such as the residual effects of our birth "location in space" (time) on our lives at any following location in space (time)...

Another point: would it work with the Muslim calendar? Or the Jewish calendar? Or only the Christian calendar?
think of those calendars as units of measurement...1 foot, 12 inches, 30.48cm, 304.8mm...its all the same distance...the universe and the relative movement of mass within it from our very specific perspective is truly the universal clock/calender...the foundation being cycles of movement creating "starting and ending" points of measurement...such as a day...year...etc...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

more accurately a representation of that very specific point in space that you were born into the world...and all the subsequent astrological points in space in relation to each other at that point in time of your birth...The Gregorian Calendar although religious was a correction of the Julian calendar that wasn't accounting for slight changes over time...over thousands of years that slight change became a big change...The Vatican corrected that method of keeping time...which all it really is, is keeping track of the earth in relation to other objects in space...sun, moon, constellations etc...

Yes, slyone, I'm all very acquainted with this logic.

My issue is, whats the basis in establishing a starting point 2012 years ago? It's arbitrary. Or, let me guess, it was the beginning of a new astrological age?

this is where the speculation is...and I only say speculation because quantum mechanics is still pretty young...but it is all trying to address the relations in our physical world on the smallest known or conceived levels...such as the residual effects of our birth "location in space" (time) on our lives at any following location in space (time)...

So one of the purposes of quantum mechanics is to prove.................astrology? You couldn't have worded that anymore stupidly.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

join