It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twelve-year-old Bryan Co. girl shoots home intruder

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bthek13b
reply to post by usmc0311

this is why a 12yr old should never be left home alone never mind in the knowledge that ther is is a firearm there let alone how to use it.2nd ammendment you are having a laugh.glad the young girl is safe.but this justifies your 2nd ammendment?

Yes this does justify the second amendment. She used a legal firearm to defend herself against a criminal who kicked in her back door. Doesn't get much clearer than that.

As for a twelve year old being alone I think Golf66 answered that one fairly well so I will just direct you to his post. So are you saying she should have just sucked it up and been a victim? But hey that's your opinion and you are more than entitled to it.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
Stories like this is why you don't allow a twelve year old girl be alone at home while the parent is at work.

edit on 19-10-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

Glad someone isn't ignoring the elephant in the room!

So we leave our kids to fend for themselves in an increasingly dangerous and violent world ... answer, give them a gun.

Crazy.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

So we leave our kids to fend for themselves in an increasingly dangerous and violent world ... answer, give them a gun.

No.
We TEACH our kids to fend for themselves.
As you said, it is an increasingly dangerous and violent world.
Why should the answer be to deprive people of the ability to defend themselves?
The violent, dangerous criminals won't have the same reservations.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

No.
We TEACH our kids to fend for themselves.
As you said, it is an increasingly dangerous and violent world.
Why should the answer be to deprive people of the ability to defend themselves?
The violent, dangerous criminals won't have the same reservations.

I'm all for self defence, situational awareness and training.

However, I don't think that negates the need for parents to be parents.

I know there is no easy answer, as increasingly parents have to work harder and longer hours to support their families, but the knock on effect is criminals knowing that most houses are empty for most of the time, so a simple knock and wait is enough.

Kids are left at home, who hide when an intruder knocks and waits, and then cop the fall out of having a crim in their house, because their parents aren't there.

The answer seems to be to turn 12 year olds into militants, so they can blast away if someone comes in.

Yes this girl is 12, but what about the 6 year olds?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Stories like this is why you don't allow a twelve year old girl be alone at home while the parent is at work.

Here, here and right on!

It's not amazing to me that the girl shot a home intruder, but that she was left alone at home

I'm glad she shot him and is okay!
As far as being home alone at 12...I don't know about you all, but my generation is known as the latch key generation. We were always left home alone for some amount of time at that age. In fact, I babysat my younger brothers at that age....ALONE! We had secret rings for the phone and family knocks to open the door.

Also, each state has laws on the books about what age a child can legally be left alone....Some states say 10 years old is okay..... a lot of it is parental judgement.....

For the record, my daughter just turned 10 this weekend
and I still WILL NOT leave her alone.........NOPE.....

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The age of the kid/being home alone isn't the problem. Pervs have killed whole families to get at kids. I believe Elizabeth Smart's family was home at the time. Even if this girl's mom was home who's to say he wouldn't have come in anyway.

These guys watch the news. It's good they're seeing their buddies getting shot or beaten to death by fathers driven insane with rage. Hope this sends a loud message.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

point taken and well put.probably never agree on this subject but thats the point of discussion forums.ithank you for your input .

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

as are you my friend.maybe trying to be devils advocate.enoyed your point and will continue to enjoy the discussion as i hope all members do/will .

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider

Well, I don't know about hero, and she could have shot her own mother through the closed door since she didn't identify her target, so not exactly the gun safety I would hope for out of a 12 year old, but I'm still happy she is OK, and happy the intruder was arrested. That must have been quite a shock to think the house was empty and then catch a bullet through a door!! Maybe he'll have a change of career plan if he ever gets out of jail, LOL!

She had just gotten off the phone with her mother who TOLD her to get the gun. Also, most moms don't go around kicking in the back door and such. I am glad this girl was able to protect herself. It sounds like the intruder was possibly actually looking for her. And finally, it's better to be traumatized from this experience than possibly raped and/or murdered.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3chainz
Could have been her mother...

She's lucky but good for her. I probably wouldn't have shot in fear that it was.

Then, you most likely would be dead.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Glad someone isn't ignoring the elephant in the room!

Crazy.

Okay, let's say the girl was 15. Is she more capable of fending off a man when she doesn't have a gun than a 12 year old??? NOPE!!!!!! I would say you could take the same scenario with any child under 16, male or female. And quite frankly, a 30 year old woman wouldn't have much of a chance either. Have a look at the statistics for rape and/or murder rates in any country. Having access to a loaded gun is what saved this child, bottom line.
edit on 23-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

Originally posted by darkhorserider

Well, I don't know about hero, and she could have shot her own mother through the closed door since she didn't identify her target, so not exactly the gun safety I would hope for out of a 12 year old, but I'm still happy she is OK, and happy the intruder was arrested. That must have been quite a shock to think the house was empty and then catch a bullet through a door!! Maybe he'll have a change of career plan if he ever gets out of jail, LOL!

She had just gotten off the phone with her mother who TOLD her to get the gun. Also, most moms don't go around kicking in the back door and such. I am glad this girl was able to protect herself. It sounds like the intruder was possibly actually looking for her. And finally, it's better to be traumatized from this experience than possibly raped and/or murdered.

So many people missed the point of my post.

I praised the girl for her actions, BUT, the girl in the closet could not possibly be sure the person who kicked in the door is the same person who was standing outside the closet. Maybe a neighbor came by to check on her and followed the intruder in the back door? Maybe a cop driving by got the call and was on scene in seconds and came in the open door? There are just a million maybes, and it is NEVER OK to shoot something you can't see. Now, this is just a young girl, and it worked out fine, and I'm so happy that it did, but what about the uncle shooting the niece in the skunk outfit? What about the father shooting his son wearing a mask? What about all the accidents that make the news time and time again. I'm as Pro-Gun as anyone can be, but with that stance comes a HUGE responsibility to safety, and that includes training our kids and family members for gun safety as well.

I'm extremely happy the girl shot the perp. Good for her. Now, next time, have the gun ready, wait the extra 1/10th of a second to lay eyes on him, and then shoot him anyway. That's all. You still have the element of surprise, you still have the gun pointed, and chambered, and cocked, and you still use it the very moment you need it. Just NEVER shoot blindly. Even a 12 year old girl should NEVER SHOOT BLINDLY!

What would all you folks be saying if she had shot the wrong person? What if she shot the high school boy from next door, because he was a good samaritan, knew she was home alone, saw the perp kick in the back door, and he came running over to help her and got shot?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join