It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man loses 18 relatives in Syrian strikes yesterday...Violence in Syria needs to end NOW

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Is military intervention needed in Syria? Citizens are being butchered in huge numbers and the situation seems to be getting worse. The story below is from a man who loves in Syria who lost 18 relatives yesterday due to airstrikes by the Syrian MiG Jets i the northern town of Maaret al-Numan...

In a calm voice, Sheikh Mohammed Fardoun listed his relatives, 18 in all, who he said were killed Thursday in an airstrike by Syrian Army MiG fighter jets in the northern town of Maaret al-Numan.

"As soon as we heard the sound of the shelling, I ran out in the street and found the home of my aunt completely leveled," said Fardoun.

"The scene cannot be described. What you see on TV and on YouTube cannot describe this crime. The building was completely leveled to the ground."

He continued, "I cannot speak to you about what I happened, I have the names of my relatives and I accept God's fate, but I am only here to give you this information. I cannot talk beyond that."

Stories like this seem to be more common in Syria, people are losing their lives from strikes that seem unwarranted. I know that there are many who believe everyone should stay out of Syria and let them handle their own issues internally. I have a hard time digesting that. These people obviously need help, they want military intervention and they want al-assad out of this country. I understand that we have MANY folks here on ATS who believe that paid mercenaries are in Syria trying to take away stability so NATO/US can sweep in to bring change to the Govt.

Any way you slice it, innocent people are being killed, the man in the above story lost 18 family members alone yesterday. Change needs to come to that region and I'm starting to feel that the change needs to come externally.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 19-10-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Military intervention would probably just result in even more innocents being killed. Maybe in other parts of the world it would be useful, but not so much in the Middle East.

If I had my druthers, I would just cordon off the region and wait for a victor. With no one supplying arms or supplies to either side.

This would result in a genocide for one side or the other though.

Murky waters indeed.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

How do you handle an impossible situation?? Well you do by making very tough decisions... Right now, many innocents are being murdered. I'm sure the people of Syria would prefer to die knowing that their death brought change to the country instead of dying for no apparent reason and zero change.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Blame the rebels for that

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by TDawgRex

How do you handle an impossible situation?? Well you do by making very tough decisions... Right now, many innocents are being murdered. I'm sure the people of Syria would prefer to die knowing that their death brought change to the country instead of dying for no apparent reason and zero change.

You're talking about Regime change and Nation building...

That hasn't worked out so well if past history is looked at.

I think we need to stay out of this mess and let them sort things out.

But of course, as long as Iran, Russia, China supply one side, we will do the same for the other.

Historically, the Assad regime has been stable, though they brought that about through a iron fist. Do you think that the Muslim Brotherhood will be any different?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Who do you suggest intervene in Syria?

Will that group next have to intervene in Lebanon?

I don't want US soldiers being sacrificed in the middle east any more. So what nation's troop should be cannon fodder for the militants in the middle east?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Thats what happens when you follow those who are in rebellion against their government. The choice to fight was theirs, and the consequences as well

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

I don't want US soldiers being sacrificed in the middle east any more. So what nation's troop should be cannon fodder for the militants in the middle east?

NATO should intervene first...

It's a shame how you guys can just sit there and not care with what's happening to the people over there... Just sad really... Luckily for me, I live in a country that can handle situations like this, a country who can stand up to oppressive Govts. who kill their own people when they stand in their way... If the countries who CAN do something about this just sit back and watch they are cowards for allowing it to happen...

Today people only seem to care about themselves and no one else...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Is military intervention needed in Syria? Citizens are being butchered in huge numbers and the situation seems to be getting worse. The story below is from a man who loves in Syria who lost 18 relatives yesterday due to airstrikes by the Syrian MiG Jets i the northern town of Maaret al-Numan...

Yea, and the same thing happens every day in various regional and tribal conflicts in Africa.

Yes its a tragedy, yes it should be addressed.

But tragedies that should be addressed happen every single day, the only difference here is Syria strategic position to the West.

That is all that matters, the MSN will play it as "humanitarian" but lets not get confused as to what is really the agenda.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Good then the US can literally kill 2 birds with 1 stone... Place themselves strategically in the region and they can rescue these people from their murderous dictator...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Good then the US can literally kill 2 birds with 1 stone... Place themselves strategically in the region and they can rescue these people from their murderous dictator...

Right, just like whats happening in Iraq and Afghanistan every day...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

reply to post by benrl

Right, just like whats happening in Iraq and Afghanistan every day...

At the end of the day It's a delicate situation for sure. Tough decisions will need to be made either way, we can either sit back and do nothing while ignoring the reports that come out of Syria or we can help them with their cause... Lots of people are going to die regardless of the decision made but me personally, I have a hard time just ignoring the situation, i also don't have the resources to help the cause, so as an outsider looking in its just tough....

For some odd reason (I may be wrong), there seems to be more "collateral damage" today in the conflicts we see around the middle east... And its sad when innocent folks are killed, people who are literally stuck where they live just dying for no reason...

And I agree with you that there are numerous locations around the world where you can find innocent people being killed... We do live in f***** up times

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Are you for intervention in China, North Korea, parts of Africa, and South of the American Border in Mexico?

Lots of oppresive governments, and turmoil all over the world, not just in the middle East.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Is military intervention needed in Syria?

No. Military intervention in Syria would almost certainly make the situation far worse for all concerned. If that were a quick and easy solution then you wouldn't be sat here one year plus down the line asking whether or not it was a good idea; it would have been done by now.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

It's a shame how you guys can just sit there and not care with what's happening to the people over there... Just sad really... Luckily for me, I live in a country that can handle situations like this, a country who can stand up to oppressive Govts. who kill their own people when they stand in their way... If the countries who CAN do something about this just sit back and watch they are cowards for allowing it to happen...

Which country do you live in? In which wars has your country assisted the innocents? We are spat upon, our soldiers murdered and our flags burned. The majority of eastern countries hate us and we would be funding yet another conflict with money we don 't have. In case you forget, Obama is cutting the military by billions:

The new military strategy includes $487 billion in cuts over the next decade. An additional $500 billion in cuts could be coming if Congress follows through on plans for deeper reductions. content.usatoday.com...
Basically, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

And we didn't assist in the Rwanda conflict at all where whole villages were wiped out:

•Over the course of 100 days from April 6 to July 16 1994, an estimated 800,000 to 1 million Tutsis and some moderate Hutus were slaughtered in the Rwandan genocide. A recent report has estimated the number to be close to 2 million.2
•During this period of terrible slaughter, more than 6 men, women and children were murdered every minute of every hour of every day. This brutally efficient killing was maintained for more than 3 months.

edit on 19-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Simple. Exchange some proper tanks and other hardware for whatever the Syrian government can offer. Let them handle the terrorist rebels themselves. The people wouldn't like interventions from outsiders.
edit on 19/10/2012 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by crawdad1914
reply to post by jhn7537

Are you for intervention in China, North Korea, parts of Africa, and South of the American Border in Mexico?

Lots of oppresive governments, and turmoil all over the world, not just in the middle East.

Are China and North Korea murdering their own people at the rate Syria is?

Mexico is a hard cookie to deal with because it's not the Govt. killing off people its the drug lords and gangs, and yes I do feel the US could help with taking them down because a lot of that violence spills over to our country...

Africa is a very hard situation to handle because in a lot of ways they lack Govt. as a whole (like in Somalia)...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
you want NATO to intervene?? Why? So they can do more of this.......?

m.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Damned if we do, Damned if we don't.

Some people around here take sport in it.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Damned if we do, Damned if we don't.

Some people around here take sport in it.

As long as the blood, being spilled, isn't theirs, hey?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join